PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding np242

Metlic53
03-15-2011, 01:50 PM
for those that have rebuilt a 242 how hard is it to do and how much money did it cost? ive got a 242 that wont work in 2 wheel drive but will pull in 4wd, wondering if i should sell it or rebuild it. i don't know how much it is worth if i sell it on craigslist or if its worth rebuilding. if i rebuild i'll put a hack n tap on it and wait till one of my t-cases goes out

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
for those that have rebuilt a 242 how hard is it to do and how much money did it cost? ive got a 242 that wont work in 2 wheel drive but will pull in 4wd, wondering if i should sell it or rebuild it. i don't know how much it is worth if i sell it on craigslist or if its worth rebuilding. if i rebuild i'll put a hack n tap on it and wait till one of my t-cases goes out

I've only ever replaced the drive chain, $110. I've never heard of one that wouldn't work in 2wd. I have no idea what the problem/solution would be. Personally I would tear it down and have a look. They are real easy to work on still installed, you can do just about everything to it from under the rig.

msmoorenburg
03-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I'd tear it down and have a look we now have 2 242 at the shop with issues so hard parts shouldn't be a issue

Metlic53
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I've only ever replaced the drive chain, $110. I've never heard of one that wouldn't work in 2wd. I have no idea what the problem/solution would be. Personally I would tear it down and have a look. They are real easy to work on still installed, you can do just about everything to it from under the rig.

it hasnt been in the jeep for about 2-3 yrs, i jst realized my dad still had it at our old shop so i brought it home.

I'd tear it down and have a look we now have 2 242 at the shop with issues so hard parts shouldn't be a issue

i'll go ahead and tear it down and see whats up, my dad told me it wouldn't run in 2wd, but 4wd was ok, i don't really know because that was right when he bought the jeep and i wasn't as interested in stuff as i am now.

XJ4IV
03-15-2011, 05:03 PM
it might be the linkage... meaning that when you TRY to engage back into 2wd it doesnt quiet make it... that could be the ONLY issue,
I have rebuilt mine a few years back and ALL that I bought were the little plastic guide that the shifting fork uses and a Spring plunger all of that was about 16 bucks plus the ATF to fill it back up
here is mine when I had it open... and those are the ONLY parts I had to replace at THAT time... I did however replace the chain a few months prior but in order to replace the chain you will need a set of snap ring pliers!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/basivey/kdk_0224-1.jpg

XJ4IV
03-15-2011, 05:52 PM
heeeyyyyy my first thanks!

4.3LXJ
03-15-2011, 08:12 PM
it might be the linkage... meaning that when you TRY to engage back into 2wd it doesnt quiet make it... that could be the ONLY issue,
I have rebuilt mine a few years back and ALL that I bought were the little plastic guide that the shifting fork uses and a Spring plunger all of that was about 16 bucks plus the ATF to fill it back up
here is mine when I had it open... and those are the ONLY parts I had to replace at THAT time... I did however replace the chain a few months prior but in order to replace the chain you will need a set of snap ring pliers!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/basivey/kdk_0224-1.jpg

I agree, this is the issue. I had the same thing happen on an 85 I had, different tcase number but same design. In my case the fork and slider needed replacing due to wear.

MaxxTraxx
03-16-2011, 12:19 AM
How hard was it to pull the case? support the trans and just unbolt it with a floor jack?

4.3LXJ
03-16-2011, 12:31 AM
The case is not all that heavy, just an awkward shape.

xjrev10
03-16-2011, 01:41 AM
About 70 or so pounds I think...

XJ4IV
03-18-2011, 08:38 AM
How hard was it to pull the case? support the trans and just unbolt it with a floor jack?

pull it out in pieces... it makes it easier... LITTLE more time consuming but considering the dropping the case on your chest and crying about for a few minutes I think you come out ahead...
Also you dont have to support the Tranny, the cross member does that with no interference to the case... but again just take it apart in pieces

msmoorenburg
03-18-2011, 09:55 AM
pull it out in pieces... it makes it easier... LITTLE more time consuming but considering the dropping the case on your chest and crying about for a few minutes I think you come out ahead...
Also you dont have to support the Tranny, the cross member does that with no interference to the case... but again just take it apart in pieces

I've pulled both out. I would avoid pulling it pieces for fear of sand/rust getting into the case. (bearings don't like foreign objects) Just have a buddy around its only 6 bolts to 2 drive-shafts and a linkage arm. 30 mins and its on the floor. IF it was a np205 i would get the football team out and pull it as a unit too. But that's my option

4.3LXJ
03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I agree. pull it out in one piece. It is not that heavy.

rguignard
03-18-2011, 10:52 AM
x3 its not that hard