PDA

View Full Version : Light in the grille?

Switch_knuckles
03-15-2011, 01:03 AM
I did a search and came up with nothing. I had an idea about mounting lights in the grille. I am planning on having a grille made of sheet metal fabbed up that had the name of my xj cut into it. Them I thought i could make the name a little smaller and add lights on each side. Would look something like the pic. Your thoughts?
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/xjtalk/grilleidea.jpg

bluedragon436
03-15-2011, 01:18 AM
I have seen some pretty cool custom grilles over the two years that I have been checking out other folks XJ builds... some of them were done nicely, some where done that I didn't like... not my money... so guess it doesn't matter what I think about them.. I think it would look pretty cool, to go with the design you are looking at... but how much will it run to have one made up?? Cause would stink to spend lots of money, just to figure out you don't like the way it looks...

Switch_knuckles
03-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Unfortunately I can't weld so I would have to have it done for me. I have not checked into fab costs yet. I was just throwing it out there to get a little feedback.

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 02:39 AM
I did a search and came up with nothing. I had an idea about mounting lights in the grille. I am planning on having a grille made of sheet metal fabbed up that had the name of my xj cut into it. Them I thought i could make the name a little smaller and add lights on each side. Would look something like the pic. Your thoughts?
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/xjtalk/grilleidea.jpg

It's hard to see your vision from this picture, but with what I have in my head, I'd say I don't like it. Well to be more specific I like the lights idea but not the name.

If I were doing it for mine, I would play around with a piece of cardboard and 6" circles and position the "fake" lights to find the best placement for them.

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out. Thanks for the thread and the great idea.

Switch_knuckles
03-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Maybe this will help. Ok stock grille. Inside of square lights would be round 6" light. Inside that a cut out with the word Nasty. If you look at pick where this guy has Cherokee pic I would have 2 lights and name.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/xjtalk/grille.jpg

oderdene
03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
I guess it will close airway and overheat

Outlaw
03-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Maybe this will help. Ok stock grille. Inside of square lights would be round 6" light. Inside that a cut out with the word Nasty. If you look at pick where this guy has Cherokee pic I would have 2 lights and name.

I think it would look really good done right. The only concern I would have is the air flow to the radiator, considering the notorious cooling issues the XJ already has.

Punisher
03-15-2011, 07:10 AM

To be honest, its nice looking but one thing is that the round light design and grill slot will make it look like a Wrangler grill on a cherokee but the photo of the cherokee in the middle is pretty bad a$$ but you have to look how the air flow is as the jeep run around 200 most of the time... you dont want to cut anymore air off than you have too or you will have heating problems...

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM

Yeah that really does help, but I like the graphic idea over letters. As pimp as I like being with my rig this isn't something I'd want on mine. Now the lights I like, but I'm a light nut! Just my personal preference. Think carefully what your future plans are though. For example if I had gone this route then later decided I wanted a winch bumper these lights would be useless, well except when I needed to see the winch REALLY good. :smiley-laughing021:

XJ Rat
03-15-2011, 09:42 AM
How do you plan to mount it? The factory screws will not work as the weight of the lights and heavier grill will be an issue. At the very least replace the screws with 1/4" bolts and nuts. Might not hurt to add additional mounting tabs to your grill and matching tabs to the front end.

I think square lights (like Hella 550's) would look better.

Cooling might be an issue. Try the grill and see.

modestmar00xj
03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
That grill is awesome! i like the idea!

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 09:57 AM
How do you plan to mount it? The factory screws will not work as the weight of the lights and heavier grill will be an issue. At the very least replace the screws with 1/4" bolts and nuts. Might not hurt to add additional mounting tabs to your grill and matching tabs to the front end.

I think square lights (like Hella 550's) would look better.

Cooling might be an issue. Try the grill and see.

I bet a cardboard mach up would work for the testing. Just don't cut out the light holes, or cut out a small gap to simulate the opening around the lights in the grill. Tape the cardboard to the OEM grill and drive! :D

XJ Rat
03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I bet a cardboard mach up would work for the testing. Just don't cut out the light holes, or cut out a small gap to simulate the opening around the lights in the grill. Tape the cardboard to the OEM grill and drive! :D

Yep, that will simulate for air flow, but not for weight/stress on mounts.

Mudderoy
03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Yep, that will simulate for air flow, but not for weight/stress on mounts.

Yeah I didn't state it, I meant for air flow.

Switch_knuckles
03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I was worried about heat as well, but with the other mods I have planned I do not think it will be a problem. I am going to install 3 electric fans, and the hood scoop. There will still be quite a bit of air flowing through the engine bay. I may have to hold off on a mock run until I get the fans and the scoop installed.

4.3LXJ
03-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Switch

Do it in fiber glass. It will save weight and you can do it yourself. Then you can change it easily any time you want until you get it perfected. You are gonna look like a CJ coming at people at night. :D

Switch_knuckles
03-15-2011, 09:21 PM
That is a good idea. The round lights would be fogs. I would still have the xj square headlights.

bluedragon436
03-15-2011, 11:10 PM
I think if I were to build something like this... I would replace the headlights to being round as well.. Then again... I like the way the round lights look on the XJ like Detours did on his..

Switch_knuckles
03-22-2011, 04:41 AM
This may help you guys see my vision.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Square-Dual-Headlight-Grille-MK2-1985-1992-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5885cb208bQQitemZ38020 1803915QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

4x4Dalton
03-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I agree a really good idea but still have issues on the air flow problem. The design is killer bro. If ya dont wanna do the cardboard way try goin to jy and see if you can find a XJ grill and the bezels for round lights and mod them together in turn givin yerself a runnin mock up. And if you do decide to go that route post up pics bro would be interestin to see this idea pan out :thumbsup:

prerunner1982
03-29-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't think the airflow issue is going to be any worse than mounting lights/winch right in front of the grille. I like the look of the lights behind the grille, but it takes away a bit of the light output. As far as in the grille I would like to see the mock up with lights in front of the Jeep grille. I am not a big fan of the Jeep image, but it is not my Jeep. If you like the way it looks, go for but post up pics when you are done it may look better once it is all together. This setup also kind of reminds me of the Mustangs.

Also, what color is the grille going to be? I don't know what color your Jeep is. If it is black.. the image of the Cherokee won't show up very well.