PDA

View Full Version : Which hood scoop?

Switch_knuckles
03-12-2011, 01:22 AM
I found these on the net and I can't decide. I am leaning more toward #1. Just wanted some feedback.
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/scoop.jpg

4.3LXJ
03-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Both of them will funnel air into the engine bay. The one on the left has vents in back, which is a high pressure area and will allow more to be forced in at speed, more out at idle.

Metlic53
03-12-2011, 02:40 PM
i'd get the one on the left. Only concern i would have is water getting into the engine bay when its raining. I don't like water in there...

Switch_knuckles
03-12-2011, 04:13 PM
You can't see from the pics but they are both open in the back. Much like a cowl hood scoop.

Switch_knuckles
03-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Found the pic...
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/Untitled-5.jpg

prerunner1982
03-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I like the cleaner look of the second one.... but if function is your main concern #1 may be better.

Switch_knuckles
03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I was leaning toward #1 but I live in Colorado, and snow is an issue during the winter. Which when melts would drip down in the holes of it. So I think I am now lookin more toward #2.

BrianXJ
03-16-2011, 01:52 AM
I like number 2

bluedragon436
03-16-2011, 02:02 AM
I would go for #2...

XJ408
03-16-2011, 02:02 AM
I would go with #2

OverEasy
03-16-2011, 04:41 AM
This is just a idea.....

If you use #1 and are worried about water getting in the rear slots, couldn't you use some type of micro screen on the inside to help protect against water? I'm not saying it will keep water out but it may deter some from getting in.

Just a thought.

rugidone
03-16-2011, 07:09 AM
I have open hood vents on my jeep in the area, I live in Canada. I don't think I have had a rough start or misfire caused by moisture from this area.

Although I have been chasing a loss of power for some time, but I don't think its related to that area, when I replaced plugs/wires/cap & rotor, it didn't make any difference.

steph74
03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Yeah I ever have have (?) a problem with my vents either.

The old girls started like a champ (everything is relative in this area for a Renix) so far all winter.
The first big snow, I lifted the hood to find that snow was covering the engine .... the distributor had snow on it as well as the valve cover...... it didn;t matter, She started right away....

that might be luck, but I wouldn;t be too concerned about that.... you can always put a drip pan under it later (but that might ruin the purpose of the vents)

So go for your favorite design....

(this being said I prefer the one on the right /)

XJ Rat
03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Use the one you like the looks of best.

I will tell you it is fun to watch the heat roll out of vents at stop lights, so I would choose #1.

I have had my vents for about a year. Water has not had an effect on any of my electronics so far. The screen idea above has merit. If you are really concerned about water intrusion, get a magnetic sheet, cut to fit the openings, and then use those for rainy weather. The metal screening will hold the magnetic sheet down.

OverEasy
03-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Use the one you like the looks of best.

I will tell you it is fun to watch the heat roll out of vents at stop lights, so I would choose #1.

I have had my vents for about a year. Water has not had an effect on any of my electronics so far. The screen idea above has merit. If you are really concerned about water intrusion, get a magnetic sheet, cut to fit the openings, and then use those for rainy weather. The metal screening will hold the magnetic sheet down.

Ya, that's all I was thinking of. Thinking it would kinda work like a screen over a window. It blocks the majority of the water but it won't stop it completely. The extra vents in the rear will also help move the air.

modestmar00xj
03-16-2011, 02:33 PM
yeah the second hood scoop look pretty sleek!

LizardRunner
03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't worry about water, if you ever take your jeep wading through a stream, your going to get just as much if not more water on and around the engine as a set of vents.

that said I like the smoother looking scoop #2