PDA

View Full Version : Painting my jeep

davignon24
03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I wanna paint my jeep, but not sure how to make it look some what professional. When i bought it the hood and front fendor were new and just primered a light grey. i would like some tips on type of paints, and basicly everything i need to know, thanks.

bigjim350
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
The main thing is the prep work. You have to sand it everywhere and make sure everything is smooth. If there is no peeling clear, you can just sand with a fine grit, or scotch brite pad. Just sand until there is no shine anywhere. As for what type of paint to use, it depends on what tools you have. The best is 2 stage (Base coat clear coat). Then there are a couple different single stage paints. Or you can do like I did and spray with spray paint, which can look good with shiny paint, but does better with flat colors.

davignon24
03-11-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm probably going to use use spray paint, unless i just get it professionally done, but not sure how much that cost. I just don't want it to look crappy.

Mudderoy
03-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm probably going to use use spray paint, unless i just get it professionally done, but not sure how much that cost. I just don't want it to look crappy.

My understanding is other than all the prep work the next hardest thing is getting the old and new paint to match. Remember it's new paint and old paint that has been affected by years of weather.

bigjim350
03-11-2011, 12:34 PM
A nice quality long lasting prof. paint job would be at the very least $1k, and thats if you know somebody. A few places will paint em for $500 or less, but it will be a horrible paint job. The low quaility paint has a horrible shine, and won't shine for very long anyways. I painted mine using Krylon spray paint, and spent maybe $30 on paint.

4.3LXJ
03-11-2011, 02:05 PM

You might check around. There are inexpensive paint jobs available at franchise body shops. But those are the kind where they spray everything but the glass. So the key here is to remove anything you don't want painted and sand it your self. Then let them shoot it. That way you get a much higher quality job for much less money.

MaxxTraxx
03-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Prep work is key!! You can spray bomb it and get good results, or, buy some auto paint and a HVLP gun and spray it yourself. But, actually putting color down is one of the easier parts...the prep is the key. There should be some automotive painting books at your local library, go check one out and read up a bit on what it takes to do it. Like 4.3L said, do all your own prep, then a low buck paint job from like Maaco or elsewhere will turn out better.

WhiteKnight2
03-11-2011, 08:24 PM
MaxxTraxx is right about putting the color down being easy. I have painted two cars a jeep yj, the truck on my avi image and a 55' truck of my dads and its not that hard.
I used nason base and clear its a cheap dupont paint and they turned out great. If you have a HVLP gun you can probably paint it yourself for about $500. The prep is the hard part, and it takes a while if you do it right. Just do some research and it will be fine.:thumbsup: