PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Serpentine Belt

VaBeachTennis
03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
I have a 1996 XJ 4.0. I noticed that my belt may be loose. What's the best way to tighten it? I have the 96+ set up. Can I just tighten the adjusting bolt that's located on the power steering pulley or do I have to first loosen the bolt on the idler pulley, then tighten the adjusting bolt, and then tighten the idler pulley bolt?

Mudderoy
03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
I have a 1996 XJ 4.0. I noticed that my belt may be loose. What's the best way to tighten it? I have the 96+ set up. Can I just tighten the adjusting bolt that's located on the power steering pulley or do I have to first loosen the bolt on the idler pulley, then tighten the adjusting bolt, and then tighten the idler pulley bolt?

I think it's the same as my 98, if so, remove the electric fan. Loosen up the bolt that holds the idler pulley in place just under the power steering pump, then adjust the long bolt that is just to the left of the idler pulley that runs behind the pulley. Then tighten up the idler pulley bolt again, and re-install the electric fan.

VaBeachTennis
03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I think it's the same as my 98, if so, remove the electric fan. Loosen up the bolt that holds the idler pulley in place just under the power steering pump, then adjust the long bolt that is just to the left of the idler pulley that runs behind the pulley. Then tighten up the idler pulley bolt again, and re-install the electric fan.

Yeah, that sounds right to me. Ironically, after I replaced my water pump and fan clutch, I kept the e-fan off in case I had to adjust the belt it seemed fine so I installed the e-fan. Shortly afterward my belt would squeak after 3400 rpms. I was hoping that i could tighten the belt without taking out the e-fan.

I went and bought a 15m gear wrench, I think i can just use that to loosen and tighten the idler pulley when adjusting the serpentine belt. the 14m gear wrench seemed to fit in there just fine except that it was the wrong size.

Thanks for your reply.

Mudderoy
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah, that sounds right to me. Ironically, after I replaced my water pump and fan clutch, I kept the e-fan off in case I had to adjust the belt it seemed fine so I installed the e-fan. Shortly afterward my belt would squeak after 3400 rpms. I was hoping that i could tighten the belt without taking out the e-fan.

I went and bought a 15m gear wrench, I think i can just use that to loosen and tighten the idler pulley when adjusting the serpentine belt. the 14m gear wrench seemed to fit in there just fine except that it was the wrong size.

Thanks for your reply.

Hmmm the way mine is set up I have to loosen the idler pulley first otherwise the adjustment bolt won't move. I wouldn't want to leave the idler pulley lose as that would make the belt lose, or even come off the pulley.