PDA

View Full Version : My Cherokee is killing me, financialy.

Mikentucky72
03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I am back to whine about a new problem with my XJ. The other morning I get into my jeep and headed off to work. As soon as I get to the first light, my red money whore stalls on me. I restart and it stalls again. I was able to feather the gas and kept it running. Getting around and home from work required me to drive like a race car driver with one foot on the brake and one on the gas to keep it running at a stop. Under power it runs fine, as long as my rpms dont go below 1000rpm. I replaced my cps and ecm last summer so I hope they are not the problem. Could it be fuel pressure? If so then why does it run fine on the road and not at a stop? How about coil packs? Could the low rpms be affecting the voltage? I have 14 volts while running. Help me Jeep gods, I dont wanna drive a dependable foreign truck but that is what is coming if I cant get this money sucker running right.
P.S. I am thinking of changing my screen name to "It's always something"
Mikentucky

4x4Dalton
03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Hey Mike check this thread out it may help ya figure out whats goin on bro.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4252

Punisher
03-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last month and as long as you are moving or on the highway its fine but as soon as you idle it studders and stalls... I still not have found the problem(s) but I'm going to for some reason say its the coil... I've replaced the plugs and it hasnt dont it since but going to find out when I make a 3 hour trip to lake worth tomorrow...

4.3LXJ
03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Throttle position sensor guys.

Mikentucky72
03-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Throttle control sensor? Right. where is that located? Been looking around in the dark but do not see it. Punisher, please let me know if a new coil pack helps you out. I have had several misfire codes come up in the past. Also fellas, I had my check engine on( i have gotten used to it) before this stalling problem. As soon as this problem reared its head my check light went out. WTF? Thanks to all of yall, I really don't wanna shoot my horse. yet

Weldmen
03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
TPS Throttle positioning sensor It is at the base of the throttle body, on the back side or fire wall side. 2 wire plug 2 bolts.

toebee97
03-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Sorry to thread jack ya Mike, but this made me think about one of my xj's problems... Would the TPS cause mine to run at 2000 rpm when idling once it starts to warm up? It doesn't do it cold, it runs around 1000 then, but as soon as the temp gets above 150 or so it goes nuts and idles way up, sometimes up to 2200! I know the former owner (or idiot lol) replaced the CPS, bit failed to mention if it was the crank or cam positioning sensor.

Sent from my CyanogenMod7 Captivate

default83
03-08-2011, 06:38 AM
I am back to whine about a new problem with my XJ. The other morning I get into my jeep and headed off to work. As soon as I get to the first light, my red money whore stalls on me. I restart and it stalls again. I was able to feather the gas and kept it running. Getting around and home from work required me to drive like a race car driver with one foot on the brake and one on the gas to keep it running at a stop. Under power it runs fine, as long as my rpms dont go below 1000rpm. I replaced my cps and ecm last summer so I hope they are not the problem. Could it be fuel pressure? If so then why does it run fine on the road and not at a stop? How about coil packs? Could the low rpms be affecting the voltage? I have 14 volts while running. Help me Jeep gods, I dont wanna drive a dependable foreign truck but that is what is coming if I cant get this money sucker running right.
P.S. I am thinking of changing my screen name to "It's always something"
Mikentucky

hahaha, thats some funny stuff right there.

its just starting dude, i have more money in my jeep just fixing stuff then any other vehicle i have ever owned, thats not including the upgrades.

steph74
03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
yeah I still don;t have much upgrades.... money is going toward the fixing.... and only the fixing of what is important.
Stick to the forums and in the end, you will find plenty of good people that are going to direct you toward a cheap way to fix your car yourself for less money.

LizardRunner
03-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Yep, the TPS is causing that problem.

As for money sucker, well of course, lol, it's an old jeep. When I bought mine it had 230k on the odo, I knew that I was going to be sinking lots of bucks into it to bring it back to near new condition, the wife said it was ok to buy it since I have always wanted a jeep. Now we are in the process of replacing pretty much all the parts that have worn out already. The list so far includes, new rear brakes, new CPS, new tires, new steering box, new rear wiper arm (total to date=$500.00). Still to go; new TPS, brake master cylinder/booster, front brakes, all soft brake lines, hoses, and on and on. Since I plan to keep da lizard till death of me does us part, it doesn't really make the money spent an issue. I also have a grand wife, who allows me to spend the money on da lizard to get it the way I want it. I figure that when I'm done I'll have around 5k into da lizard.

Mikentucky72
03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
No doubt about fixing the important stuff. With gas going thru the roof all and any extras are on hold.

Outlaw
03-10-2011, 07:42 AM
When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? Sometimes it's the small inexpensive overlooked things that are the issue. Just a thought, hope it helps. Good luck getting it fixed!

Mikentucky72
03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately my 2000 xj does not appear to have a an in line fuel filter. It only has the "sock" on the pump inside the tank. I guess that was the Huns bright idea. Maybe I am wrong, someone please prove it.

Mudderoy
03-10-2011, 09:18 AM
In 12 years of ownership other than paying the lender and insurance I have...

1) $950 to have water pump replaced and head milled and put back on. (2 years old)
2) $225 for new all metal radiator (2.5 years old)
3) $35 Water pump (3 years old)
4) $35 Water pump (5 years old)
5) $35 Water pump (6 years old)
6) $35 Water pump (8 years old)
7) $35 Water pump (9 years old)
8) $80 to have freeze plugs replaced
9) $1500 to have body repaired after a spin and bend
10) Replace chain in transfer case ($110) (3 years ago)
11) Replace chain in transfer case ($110) (Maybe a year ago)
12) $45 harmonic balancer (About 6 months ago)
13) $110 Alternator (About 2 weeks ago)

That's all the things I HAD to fix, and of course doesn't include plugs, plug wires, rotor, cap, etc...

cantab27
03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
does it shift alright,,,,when my tps went bad it would shift like a mofo,,,stall out at lights and shit ,,if it is tps it a easy fix .........replace it...

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/standard.jpg

Mikentucky72
03-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Never had a shifting problem, sometimes a lag when I would floor it though. I put a new one on ( autozone $45) and went for a short grocery run. All seems well so far but the test is tomm. at work when I stop and go all dang day. Heat soak is on my mind now.

cantab27
03-10-2011, 06:35 PM
well let us know how it goes ,,,good luck

Mikentucky72
03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
She is idling like a dream boys! $ well spent

xjrev10
03-14-2011, 02:47 AM
When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? Sometimes it's the small inexpensive overlooked things that are the issue. Just a thought, hope it helps. Good luck getting it fixed!

Fuel pressure regulator/filter actually

Jamie Lynn
03-14-2011, 03:02 AM
She is idling like a dream boys! $ well spent

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great to hear!

oderdene
03-14-2011, 05:46 AM
congrats. :)

djm75
12-25-2011, 01:41 AM
yes it has an inline filter they all do.