PDA

View Full Version : Loose Pitman Arm - Rocks side to side.

Mudderoy
03-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Well it really isn't loose because I torqued it to 180 foot/pounds, but the pitman arm pivots side to side as you turn the steering wheel. I purchased to large washers and that fixed the problem for a while, now it's doing it again.

I think that the washers flattened out over time because of the pressure. I need more washers, or a thick metal ring.

Is the pitman arm too thin or do I have a problem with my steering box shaft?

4.3LXJ
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Tony, is that pitman arm I sold you. It was brand new. But it sounds like it wasn't made right, like it is going down too far on the shaft.

Mudderoy
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Tony, is that pitman arm I sold you. It was brand new. But it sounds like it wasn't made right, like it is going down too far on the shaft.

Yep, who made it? Skyjacker? I can't remember. Wasn't it part of a kit, or something? Give me a little info (probably again) and I'll contact them and see what they think. Thanks!

4.3LXJ
03-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Not sure exactly who made it, but it was part of my Tereflex high steer kit.

I may have another one around, I will have to check.

Mudderoy
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Not sure exactly who made it, but it was part of my Tereflex high steer kit.

I may have another one around, I will have to check.

That's right, I don't know where I got the SkyJacker reference.

Yeah just searching around, it looks like it may be machined incorrectly. I better find a new one. Anyone bought a drop pitman arm from someone you can recommend?

BlueXJ
03-04-2011, 06:13 PM
I had one, but if memory serves me I gave it away when it did not seem to be needed with my lift.

xj4life2
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
We use alot of Superlift or Rubicon Express arms here. Not sure who makes the Teraflex arm.But I have to agree it sounds like a machining issue. Let me know if I can help !!!

Mudderoy
03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
We use alot of Superlift or Rubicon Express arms here. Not sure who makes the Teraflex arm.But I have to agree it sounds like a machining issue. Let me know if I can help !!!

I forget all the parts you have access to. We need to get you on the show so we can talk about all the stuff you guys carry and do. Or just shoot the shit. :smiley-laughing021:

xj4life2
03-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Shooting the turd can get messy, but to sum it all up we can get anything except rid of these &^%$ mosquitos !!!

BlueXJ
03-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Payless can find nearly anything that is in production and a few things which are discontinued as well. Wonderful resource!!

Weldmen
03-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I had a similar problem on my 79 Bronco back in the day. 4" drop pit. Once it loosened up the first time it keeped doing it time after time no matter what I threw at it. It ended up being a defect in the ID slines on the pit were machined to big. Now I'm talking 1 or 2 thousandths of an " total. It starts at the top or by the box end of the steering box shaft, and works it way down. That was a Sky Jacker drop pit. They have a slight taper on the ID of the pit. There is allot of tork on them drop pits. Hope my past experience helps.
Peace

msmoorenburg
03-05-2011, 09:27 PM
what is the drop on your arm?

Mudderoy
03-05-2011, 09:35 PM
what is the drop on your arm?

I don't know, it's supposed to be for a 4" lift.

msmoorenburg
03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
i'm going after a gc unit want me to get 2?

Mudderoy
03-05-2011, 09:57 PM
i'm going after a gc unit want me to get 2?

Thanks, but I'm probably going to buy me a new one.

Mudderoy
06-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I've been meaning to update this thread...

After reading I found that some drop pitman arms can have a problem during the machining processes. They are actually larger where they come in contact with the steering box bolt(?).

After reading this I decided I needed to get another drop pitman arm, and from a different manufacture, or at least a different company in the hopes it was made by someone different. Of course it is always possible that just the drop pitman arm I received was bad.

Anyway I was able to obtain a Rough Country drop pitman arm from OrangeXJ. It was new, as was the other one I had on there, and came with his RC long arm kit.

I installed it a number of weeks ago and torqued down the big nut to 180 foot pounds. I did NOT use the washers I had added to the other pitman arm. The steering felt tight, really even tighter than before, but I thought they may just be due to me knowing something had changed.

After several weeks now, over a month I'm sure, the steering is tight and I don't have to constantly watch to see how far I am from the median. I'd say the swap has been a success!

The original drop pitman arm that I couldn't get to stay tight, came in a Tereflex kit.

bigjim350
06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
My drop pitman arm that I can't get tight, unless I use the same washer method, came from Rough Country.

Mudderoy
06-06-2011, 02:30 PM
My drop pitman arm that I can't get tight, unless I use the same washer method, came from Rough Country.

I read another posting about 15 minutes ago that all the pitman arms come from the same vendor and their quality control is crap. It just from another forum so who knows if it is factual or hear say...

OrangeXJ
06-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I've been meaning to update this thread...

After reading I found that some drop pitman arms can have a problem during the machining processes. They are actually larger where they come in contact with the steering box bolt(?).

After reading this I decided I needed to get another drop pitman arm, and from a different manufacture, or at least a different company in the hopes it was made by someone different. Of course it is always possible that just the drop pitman arm I received was bad.

Anyway I was able to obtain a Rough Country drop pitman arm from OrangeXJ. It was new, as was the other one I had on there, and came with his RC long arm kit.

I installed it a number of weeks ago and torqued down the big nut to 180 foot pounds. I did NOT use the washers I had added to the other pitman arm. The steering felt tight, really even tighter than before, but I thought they may just be due to me knowing something had changed.

After several weeks now, over a month I'm sure, the steering is tight and I don't have to constantly watch to see how far I am from the median. I'd say the swap has been a success!

The original drop pitman arm that I couldn't get to stay tight, came in a Tereflex kit.

Glad it worked out for you.

XJ4IV
06-06-2011, 11:32 PM
ok so this concludes the Box nut of the pitman arm but what about the castle nut on the top of the drag link to the pitman arm... I torqued the CRAP outta mine tonight... I put about 150 lbs on it with a ratchet... then hit it with a pipe wrench for good measure felt JUST about as tight as it could go prior to breaking the stud altogether ... buddy got in to see if there were any other steering issues... SAME DAMN THING still loose at the pitman/draglink nut... any options for that?

4.3LXJ
06-06-2011, 11:45 PM
The only options are more expensive than a new pitman arm. That hole is now egg shaped. You could ream it, but then you would need to have a larger tie rod end. There is another option, but is not the greatest fix.

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1113&products_id=77835

The trick here is to get a perfect hole to start with, something I have not managed to do yet.

XJ4IV
06-06-2011, 11:47 PM
sooooo wait a second... if I ream it out... technically I can use the whole steering setup for my dana60's??? rather than a total custom steering setup!?!?!?!

4.3LXJ
06-07-2011, 12:05 AM
sooooo wait a second... if I ream it out... technically I can use the whole steering setup for my dana60's??? rather than a total custom steering setup!?!?!?!

Yes. Tereflex makes the bushing for this that uses a 1" hole for the large tie rod ends.

XJ4IV
06-07-2011, 06:49 AM
hallelujah

4.3LXJ
06-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Also, you have the options of above or below the arm with these.

Mudderoy
08-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Well I have been noticing a progressive wandering in my steering. I had a look with my daughter turning the steering wheel side to side and the dreaded drop pitman arm wobble has returned.

I'd say it is unlikely that both pitman arms where made incorrectly. Either the steering box shaft has a problem or I'm just not getting the pitman arm far enough up the shaft.

I beat on it with a BFH and over torqued it.

Maybe I need to do some research on how to install a pitman arm. It seemed pretty straight forward. The most complex thing was having to buy the pitman arm puller.

Mudderoy
08-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Here is a video I found that will give you an idea what I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/3YpaYszFMyE

4.3LXJ
08-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Tony, the whole shaft is loose. It is the box that needs to be rebuilt or replaced

msmoorenburg
08-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Tony, the whole shaft is loose. It is the box that needs to be rebuilt or replaced

I agree, but you could buy a little time adjusting it but that's a band-aid

http://0.tqn.com/d/autorepair/1/0/B/Q/bmw_steering_067c.gif

Mudderoy
08-08-2011, 08:53 AM

If you are making that judgement based on the video, that isn't my video. The shaft isn't moving on mine, just the pitman arm.

Mudderoy
08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree, but you could buy a little time adjusting it but that's a band-aid

http://0.tqn.com/d/autorepair/1/0/B/Q/bmw_steering_067c.gif

Thanks Matt, I tried that first before I found out the pitman arm was moving. Again the video I put up may have been misleading. I'll try to get my own video up.

4.3LXJ
08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
If you are making that judgement based on the video, that isn't my video. The shaft isn't moving on mine, just the pitman arm.

Yes, I was making that judgement based on the video.

Mudderoy
08-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes, I was making that judgement based on the video.

Sorry about that, I just saw that pitman arm doing the wiggle in that video, not the shaft. :(

Mudderoy
01-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Ok this continues to plague me. It seems that once I put the washers in the steering is great for a couple of months, then I have to start doing lots of back and forth corrections. Dead spot in the center of the steering. I've gone through this about 3 times so far, and I'm getting ready to have to do it again.

I put 2 large, thick washers between the nut and lock washer, and torque to 185 lbs. It's great. If I take the nut and washers off then re-torque them down, there is no improvement in steering. In fact it could be a little worse. If I replace the washers it normal steering for a couple of months.

So I'm thinking there is a problem with the pitman arm. It's not made the same exact way the stock pitman arm is. It's not going up the shaft as far and the washers help but over time and pressure, they bend, allowing the side to side wobble. It's amazing to me how little movement is necessary to really mess up the "tightness" of the steering.

I was thinking about seeing if I could find (or having one made) a washer that is about 3/8" thick! I don't think it would bend over time like the two thick washers are.

I was also considering getting one of those air tools that let you insert a chisel in then hammer the pitman arm further on the shaft. This last time I worked on it, I didn't take it off, but in the past I was able to pull it off by hand. This wasn't the case with the stock pitman arm.

Oh and just in case you didn't go back and read all the posts, this is the second dropped pitman arm. First one was a terraflex, and this one is a RC. So I don't think it's a bad pitman arm, they just don't fit as well as the stock one.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm really kind of mystified by this. Yes they do make extra thick washers. Check a place like Fastenall. One of my favorite places to shop, except the local version has a couple of crazy ladies there on the counter which makes it even better. But the arms shouldn't be going down that far. And the nuts should be putting them down far enough. I just use my impact on the highest setting, no extensions on it. It has worked for me with two boxes and three arms.

Mudderoy
01-13-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm really kind of mystified by this. Yes they do make extra thick washers. Check a place like Fastenall. One of my favorite places to shop, except the local version has a couple of crazy ladies there on the counter which makes it even better. But the arms shouldn't be going down that far. And the nuts should be putting them down far enough. I just use my impact on the highest setting, no extensions on it. It has worked for me with two boxes and three arms.

I have a new impact gun, 575 ft/lbs and a 1/2 torque wrench. Still rocks side to side, unless I use new washers.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Sounds like it is going on too far in the first place.

Mudderoy
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Sounds like it is going on too far in the first place.

Yeah it does. Thanks.

Mudderoy
01-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Hmmm I was directed to claytonoffroad about a replacement pitman arm. The one they sell is for 6 to 8 inches of lift.

I went back to the Rough Country site and I see their drop pitman arm is included in the 6.5" lift. Should I even be using a drop pitman arm at 4.5" of lift?

I'm having a brain fart and I can't remember... :rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Personally, I don't think you need one for a dropped lift. Six inches, yes or some other steering amendment. At this point Tony, I would look at the sector shaft on that box. It might have worn splines in which case a new arm would not do anything for you. If those spines show any wear, that is a decrease in diameter, then I think you would need to do one of those Durango upgrades.

Mudderoy
01-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Personally, I don't think you need one for a dropped lift. Six inches, yes or some other steering amendment. At this point Tony, I would look at the sector shaft on that box. It might have worn splines in which case a new arm would not do anything for you. If those spines show any wear, that is a decrease in diameter, then I think you would need to do one of those Durango upgrades.

I was thinking about putting the original pitman on there and see what it does. I've looked at the splines, they look fine to me, but what experience do I have to compare it to? lol

OrangeXJ
01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Mine was doing the same thing and it was the box. With the bigger the stock box is not made for over size tires. every time mine started doing what your's is doing I would replace the box and it would fix it for awhile. You like up grade's put a Durango V8 box in it.

bigjim350
01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
I think its the arm and not the box. As stated mines does the same thing, and is fixed the same way. But I do think you'd be fine with out a dropped arm.

bigjim350
01-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Also you could try using a stock pitman arm off of a ZJ. It provides about 1" drop. And it should bolt up like your old stock one.

Mudderoy
01-14-2012, 01:51 AM
Mine was doing the same thing and it was the box. With the bigger the stock box is not made for over size tires. every time mine started doing what your's is doing I would replace the box and it would fix it for awhile. You like up grade's put a Durango V8 box in it.

Well I can see the pitman arm moving on the shaft, and when I put new washers on it is fixed for a while. I don't think the washers would fix the problem if it was the steering box. I'd hate to do the upgrade only to continue to have the same problem.

nismo5
01-19-2012, 12:58 AM
im having the same problem with the rc drop pitman arm that came with my rc 6.5" long arm lift and a 99 durango box it seemed tight at first then i started noticing a lot of wandering so i took a look and my pitman arm is wobbling back and forth on the box ive been too lazy to try to fix it yet so im not sure what the splines look like inside the arm but its not a dd only a handful of runs on it and some in town driving it gets pretty sketchy at 70 on the freeway though

Mudderoy
01-19-2012, 04:06 AM
im having the same problem with the rc drop pitman arm that came with my rc 6.5" long arm lift and a 99 durango box it seemed tight at first then i started noticing a lot of wandering so i took a look and my pitman arm is wobbling back and forth on the box ive been too lazy to try to fix it yet so im not sure what the splines look like inside the arm but its not a dd only a handful of runs on it and some in town driving it gets pretty sketchy at 70 on the freeway though

lol mine actually gets better the faster I go, I think it's due to centrifugal forces from the spinning mass I call wheels and tires.

4.3LXJ
01-19-2012, 10:56 AM
You guys are using the lock washer under the nut right?

Mudderoy
01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
You guys are using the lock washer under the nut right?

I am and the first time I noticed the problem I checked the torque by putting the torque wrench on the nut and trying to tighten it. It didn't budge before the wrench clicked.

nismo5
01-20-2012, 11:12 PM
hahaha you know im not sure i have a lock washer maybe thats the problem lol but if the lock washer was under the nut(as in nut on top washer on bottom) then technically wouldnt the lock washer just fall off because there would be nothing to hold it :)

(off topic) but i saw you leaving valley wide i assume the other day steve xj's looking good ive been spending alot o time at my buddys muffler shop across the street :)

4.3LXJ
01-21-2012, 12:16 AM
hahaha you know im not sure i have a lock washer maybe thats the problem lol but if the lock washer was under the nut(as in nut on top washer on bottom) then technically wouldnt the lock washer just fall off because there would be nothing to hold it :)

(off topic) but i saw you leaving valley wide i assume the other day steve xj's looking good ive been spending alot o time at my buddys muffler shop across the street :)

Sorry to miss you Tim. I had to go visit the crazy ladies for a small bolt for the turbo on the Subaru. Always a fun time there.

Mudderoy
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
See update and solution(?) here... :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10451)