PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Mount: poly or rubber

muddeprived
03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Mine's pooped out and I'm gonna replace it but can't decided over poly or rubber. Some people say poly vibes like crazy while some say it's temporary and goes away when it breaks in. I don't mind poly but as long as it doesn't feel like a Harley Davidson at idle LOL.

What did you guys use?

rguignard
03-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Mine's pooped out and I'm gonna replace it but can't decided over poly or rubber. Some people say poly vibes like crazy while some say it's temporary and goes away when it breaks in. I don't mind poly but as long as it doesn't feel like a Harley Davidson at idle LOL.

What did you guys use?

ive got rubber but iv got poly motor mounts and yes they vibe like crazy but them my whole jeep does that anyway :smiley-laughing021:

LizardRunner
03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Rubber is better for isolation. Yep, that sucker will feel like an old harley at idle all the time with poly mounts.

The whole idea behind the new poly mounts is to make them more like solid mounts. These came out of the racing world, where you don't worry about transfered vibration as much as you worry about solid connections for better control and handling. It's kinda like SS braided lines, racing picked up on those from military jets where fluids are pumped at high pressures and a leak or break in a line is death for the pilot. In vehicles for the road, these lines last a long time and will hold what you can throw at them, plus they just look super cool to boot. I like them cause I can spend a lot one time and not have to worry about changing hoses for a very long time, and they are pretty darn tought against abrasion too.

muddeprived
03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Rubber is better for isolation. Yep, that sucker will feel like an old harley at idle all the time with poly mounts.

The whole idea behind the new poly mounts is to make them more like solid mounts. These came out of the racing world, where you don't worry about transfered vibration as much as you worry about solid connections for better control and handling. It's kinda like SS braided lines, racing picked up on those from military jets where fluids are pumped at high pressures and a leak or break in a line is death for the pilot. In vehicles for the road, these lines last a long time and will hold what you can throw at them, plus they just look super cool to boot. I like them cause I can spend a lot one time and not have to worry about changing hoses for a very long time, and they are pretty darn tought against abrasion too.

Doesn't it lessen over time as the mount breaks in? I am thinking poly tranny but definitely rubber motor mounts. I hear the poly motor mounts make it a whole lot worse.

4.3LXJ
03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I have got poly mounts on my engine. They do vibrate and it hasn't gone away.

Joliet Johnny
03-02-2011, 10:13 PM
I have made my own and used mail order poly mounts. I hated the mail order mounts and sold them on ebay. If there is interest I will make a DIY on how to make them, my Civic needs a new trans mount but I may get lazy and buy a rubber one.

LizardRunner
03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Poly mounts do not deteriorate like rubber, nor do they break in. the only way to get a more solid mounting is to use aluminum or steel. the "factory" ones usually have a very dense formulation than the poly stock you can buy at a store for making your own. That can be looked at as good or bad, just depends on your point of view and why you want poly in the first place. poly works great for shocks, sway bars, track bars, where you don't want execessive movement.

Joliet Johnny
03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Poly mounts do not deteriorate like rubber, nor do they break in. the only way to get a more solid mounting is to use aluminum or steel. the "factory" ones usually have a very dense formulation than the poly stock you can buy at a store for making your own. That can be looked at as good or bad, just depends on your point of view and why you want poly in the first place. poly works great for shocks, sway bars, track bars, where you don't want execessive movement.

Yeah on a Jeep the twisting action on the engine/trans wouldnt be as bad as a FWD car, so would you benefit very much with poly? I know when building a FWD car for a track we look to strengthen the unibody and everything else to allow the suspension and tires to do their job. But ride quality suffers greatly. I would think you would want a little flex offroad to keep from breaking things quicker. Im new to the 4x4 world so this thread has me curious.

muddeprived
03-02-2011, 10:59 PM
The reason I'm considering poly is because I have doubts for aftermarket rubber. They sell oem replacement tranny mounts for $15-$30. This seems cheap and I'm doubting the quality of the rubber used. I don't want to have to replace the tranny mount again in two years. Rather have it done once and be done with it. I guess I can tolerate the vibrations. It is a jeep lol.....

oderdene
03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
I have made my own and used mail order poly mounts. I hated the mail order mounts and sold them on ebay. If there is interest I will make a DIY on how to make them, my Civic needs a new trans mount but I may get lazy and buy a rubber one.

teach me, please

muddeprived
03-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Ok I'm confused here.....

Here's my exhaust bracket:
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/PIC-0271.jpg

Daystar says if the exhaust bracket is between the crossmember and tranny support bracket, use the 3" mount. Mine is obviously in between. But here's the thing that's confusing me. The 3" mount is not listed for my 2001 AND the distances between the outside transmission-side bolt and crossmember-side bolts are the same on both sides of the bracket.

Here's the 3" mount:

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/17581-md.jpg

Notice that the tranny bolt hole is less than an inch from the crossmember bolts on one side and further on the other side. My tranny bracket has both sides evenly spaced at 2" apart.

This makes me think I need this mount:

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/29866-md.jpg

Cuz both transmission bolt holes are evenly spaced away from the crossmember bolt holes and this one lists 2001 models.

My stock mount from crossmember to transmission support bracket is about 2" high.

So which one do you think I should get?

LizardRunner
03-05-2011, 01:55 PM
the second picture is a stock replacement, so if your setup is stock, that would be the right one to get.

Weldmen
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I would go with a Polly mount, with a 1" drop in it. I don't think the vibe will be that bad at the trans. Motor mounts yes just like a 65 Triumph or (yes a Harley)

LizardRunner
03-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I would go with a Polly mount, with a 1" drop in it. I don't think the vibe will be that bad at the trans. Motor mounts yes just like a 65 Triumph or (yes a Harley)

yep I agree, trany's don't move much so poly is great there too. also is good for spring bushings. Basics = if it normally moves a lot, use rubber bushings, if it doesn't use poly.

muddeprived
03-06-2011, 01:03 AM
I called up 4wd Hardware and they had a rubber oem mount for 00-01 models so I just got one of those instead. One of the guys who works there is a member of my local board and he said he could get it to me in about 4 days. The quicker, the better.