PDA

View Full Version : How do you bleed a clutch on a 94 XJ?

wes
03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Ok so I was driving home the other night and the clutch pedal lost all pressure, I didnt want to take it out of gear since I might not get it back in so I drove home in 5th (real fun on turns) luckily it was 1am so noone else was on the road. The next day I replaced the master and slave cylinder I was just gonna try the master first but I broke the slave when I took it off to look it over. The problem is that I cant find a bleeder screw on the slave anywhere, There is a bolt on bottom that needs a allen key to be removed and I tried using that to bleed it like I would brakes but nothing happens. I know yall are probably laughing right now but I have never had to bleed a clutch, the one on my CJ is all rods and pivot points and when that messed up I fixed it with a lathe. Im still driving the XJ but sometimes I have to pump the clutch a few times so it will engage:D

LizardRunner
03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
There should be a bolt sticking out the side, where a bleeder goes. If one isn't there then you will have to install one. Turns out that our model jeeps (the 90-95) may or may not have come with a bleeder valve installed at the factory for the clutch. I'd go with a russell's speed bleeder myself.

Dakom
10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
depending if you have a external slave cylinder you have to open the master cylinder and unbolt the slave there is a little arm pump with short strokes and it will push the air up to the master have some one watch till no more bubbles come out i know this post is old but i ran into the same problem the other night and figured this may help some one else just sharing the knowledge