PDA

View Full Version : 63mm Throttle Body

Switch_knuckles
03-02-2011, 03:48 AM
I just sent an email to Leigh Performance about the next mod to Diamond. A 63mm throttle body. I think that should help out with my throttle response.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/tbdys123.jpg

bluedragon436
03-02-2011, 04:21 AM
These things are awesome.. I am looking at just boring out my stocker to 60mm all the way through for now... will look into 62mm+ once I get a header, my budget stroker build, and 99+ intake install ready to install... I am interested to see what kind of gains you get from it on your setup though.. might reconsider..

Switch_knuckles
03-02-2011, 04:45 AM
After reading and chatting with people who have them I looked into them myself. Most of them started off just like me with stock setups and just added the TB then added other components. They claimed: better throttle response and slightly better torque. We shall see. You can expect a full write up and pics in my build thread.

toebee97
03-02-2011, 04:56 AM
95s have a different TB than a 90 right? I'm interested in this for my 90 too, but I don't want to get in too deep with the tuning or anything, and I'm assuming it's not necessarily a plug-and-play deal.

Switch_knuckles
03-02-2011, 05:18 AM
Yes 95s and 90s are different but, that is one of the nice things about Leigh Performance, you order a tb like yours. Send payment and a core charge. Once you get the machined one, you send him yours and you get your core back.

toebee97
03-02-2011, 05:41 AM
I don't know alot about the TB's, I've replaced injectors and fuel rails before, but that's about it. Does the TB need to be set up or anything after intalling, or is it just bolt on and you're good to go?

Mudderoy
03-02-2011, 06:32 AM
I just sent an email to Leigh Performance about the next mod to Diamond. A 63mm throttle body. I think that should help out with my throttle response.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/tbdys123.jpg

oooo I like the red one. :smiley-laughing021:

Outlaw
03-02-2011, 06:34 AM
I don't know alot about the TB's, I've replaced injectors and fuel rails before, but that's about it. Does the TB need to be set up or anything after intalling, or is it just bolt on and you're good to go?

It's basically a plug and play for a 90, same year I have, just make sure the vacuum lines and IPS (Idle Position Sensor), TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) are hooked up and you should be good to go.

modestmar00xj
03-02-2011, 09:12 AM

haha i do too! but too bad they don't have dark blue....

Metlic53
03-02-2011, 10:22 AM

ive got the red 63 mm on mine. he lives like 30 minutes from mee

Switch_knuckles
03-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Just got am email this morning, he is taking a break for the month, so it may take a little while to get here.

Metlic53, what differences have you noticed? Pros, cons?

Metlic53
03-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Just got am email this morning, he is taking a break for the month, so it may take a little while to get here.

Metlic53, what differences have you noticed? Pros, cons?

I immediately felt quicker throttle response, it seems as if i can maintain speed using less skinny pedal than i used to. I drive 65 when on the freeway and sometimes up to 75 in my jeep and at 75 i was giving it at least half the pedal, now i give bout a quarter and ive gained about 2 mpg (depending on how i drive :cool:) i like quick throttle response. I have an APN header and free flowing exhaust as well.
2 1/2 in from header to magnaflow high flow cat, muffler (flowmaster super 40), 3 inch turndown before axle
It was worth the money. I need to bring him the 90's T-body cuz that thing has a tiny hole for air!!!

The only con i have noticed is when i go offroading and its stays hot for a long period of time under the hood the t-bodys butterfly starts interfering with the insides of the t-body so when i let off the gas and go to give it more gas the t-body is stuck till i push hard then it releases, i have taken it off twice and took sandpaper to the sides and the butterfly and then it works fine. i asked him about it and he says he has never encountered that problem though.

LizardRunner
03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
So John, would it be advantageous with out the header and tail pipe mod? I'm wondering if this would be a good place to start engine mods or maybe wait till other pieces are in place before going with a bigger TB.

BlueXJ
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
On a 90 (Renix) you will need to retune the settings for the TPS and the IAC may need to be reset as well since the vacuum is going to be different with a larger opening in the TB.

And for muddy, a nice pic of the RED one.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/90BlueXJ/boredTBs.jpg

toebee97
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
On a 90 (Renix) you will need to retune the settings for the TPS and the IAC may need to be reset as well since the vacuum is going to be different with a larger opening in the TB.
How hard is that to do? I'm guessing that's not going to be in my Chilton. :smiley-laughing021:

BlueXJ
03-02-2011, 04:55 PM
How hard is that to do? I'm guessing that's not going to be in my Chilton. :smiley-laughing021:

You need a simple digital multimeter and some patience is all it takes. The proceedure can be found easily.

Here is just one:
http://billyxj.tripod.com/SENSORS1/page1.html

toebee97
03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks Blue. Good to know it's not something out of my skill range, because I really want one of those TB's. :driving:

Metlic53
03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
So John, would it be advantageous with out the header and tail pipe mod? I'm wondering if this would be a good place to start engine mods or maybe wait till other pieces are in place before going with a bigger TB.

You are going to tell a different with or without the header and exhaust just because more air flow can get through there, i found out about leigh performance after i bought all my header and exhaust but i put them all on within the same week, i noticed a little gain with the exhaust, noticed a bigger gain with the header and TB. I'd say go ahead and get the TB, then get the exhaust. or the other way around, doesn't really matter.

LizardRunner
03-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks! This is a big help on that TB decision.

Jeepster19
03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
I immediately felt quicker throttle response, it seems as if i can maintain speed using less skinny pedal than i used to. I drive 65 when on the freeway and sometimes up to 75 in my jeep and at 75 i was giving it at least half the pedal, now i give bout a quarter and ive gained about 2 mpg (depending on how i drive :cool:) i like quick throttle response. I have an APN header and free flowing exhaust as well.
2 1/2 in from header to magnaflow high flow cat, muffler (flowmaster super 40), 3 inch turndown before axle
It was worth the money. I need to bring him the 90's T-body cuz that thing has a tiny hole for air!!!

The only con i have noticed is when i go offroading and its stays hot for a long period of time under the hood the t-bodys butterfly starts interfering with the insides of the t-body so when i let off the gas and go to give it more gas the t-body is stuck till i push hard then it releases, i have taken it off twice and took sandpaper to the sides and the butterfly and then it works fine. i asked him about it and he says he has never encountered that problem though.

I see you had pretty good luck with that t.b. on your 97.Do you know what the size is of the intake opening where the t.b. bolts too?Mine is a 98.I only ask this because I need to know if I need to open up the intake inlet to 63mm to take advantage of the full capability of the new 63mm throttle body.:driving:

Switch_knuckles
03-14-2011, 11:59 PM
I see you had pretty good luck with that t.b. on your 97.Do you know what the size is of the intake opening where the t.b. bolts too?Mine is a 98.I only ask this because I need to know if I need to open up the intake inlet to 63mm to take advantage of the full capability of the new 63mm throttle body.:driving:

Very good question!!! Anybody know?

Metlic53
03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
i cant remember off my head but i think the opening is 64mm on the intake.

xj4life2
03-15-2011, 12:39 PM
No you do not need to mill the intake at all it will take the 63mil without issue its a bolt that really works and Liegh is one of the best in my opinion. by the way for those of us with the earlier models they do offer TB's for us also

Switch_knuckles
03-15-2011, 01:35 PM
No you do not need to mill the intake at all it will take the 63mil without issue its a bolt that really works and Liegh is one of the best in my opinion. by the way for those of us with the earlier models they do offer TB's for us also

VERY helpful. Thanks!!!:thumbsup:

Jeepster19
03-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info!Looks like a solid upgrade,performance&mileage wise!That will be next on mileage-performance upgrade!:jumping0041:

bluedragon436
03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I need to save up money to pick up one of these, some new 4-hole injectors, and a header... then I'll swap in my 99+ intake at the same time... should be a nice upgrade with my already installed 2.5" exhaust.. so I can't wait to see what you guys think of this upgrade when you do it..

Metlic53
03-22-2011, 10:49 AM
I need to save up money to pick up one of these, some new 4-hole injectors, and a header... then I'll swap in my 99+ intake at the same time... should be a nice upgrade with my already installed 2.5" exhaust.. so I can't wait to see what you guys think of this upgrade when you do it..

i've read you actually lose power with the 99 + intake thats why i have never done it. jp magazine did an article on it and they lost horsepower. i believe it was JP that did it.