PDA

View Full Version : oil pan frustration

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Ok I have posted in another thread about this that I started but it started out with a squeak under the hood and developed into the oil pan problem. So I figured to get some more help to post a thread about just the oil pan. so here it goes.

this is what I have done so far. I have the oil pan unbolted and its resting on the axel unable to slide completely out, taken the front wheels off, jacked jeep by frame, disconnected front shocks, removed starter, disconnected sway bars from axel, and disconnected the Steering Damper.

with all this done the axel is still in the way. Is there a way to push the front axel more towards the front by a 1/2" to 1"?

I know I could drop the entire axel but that is out of the question don't have the time. Unless there is someone in the Houston area :please: that would be willing to help me dismount the axel and remount it tomorrow. I can't pay but I can offer a 12 pack of beer.

oderdene
03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
what hangs axle there? is axle limited by LCA/UCA, will more jacking help? do you have a photo?

4.3LXJ
03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
If you disconnect the control arms and track bar it will drop down quite a ways to the point the springs will just fall out and there will be plenty of room. How high have you jacked up the Jeep? Is it on car stands?

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 10:22 PM
what hangs axle there? is axle limited by LCA/UCA, will more jacking help? do you have a photo?

I do not have pics I'll take some in the morning and post them though. Unfortunately more jacking will not help.

If you disconnect the control arms and track bar it will drop down quite a ways to the point the springs will just fall out and there will be plenty of room. How high have you jacked up the Jeep? Is it on car stands?

I have the Jeep jacked up enough to where the wheels were off the ground and now the wheels are off for better visibility/ ease of disconnecting lower shock mounts. and yes it is now resting on jack stands.

I was taking a look at it after I posted this and it looks like if i remove the exhaust pipe it'll give me the room to slide it out on that side. I will try doing this in the morning and if it fails will disconnect the control arms and track bar.

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
would putting the tires back on to put some weight on the axel allow the axel to drop more?

4.3LXJ
03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Not really. You have to disconnect the upper and lower control arms. They have a limited range of motion. When they bottom out, that is as far as it will go. Might have to disconnect the track bar too. After that, watch that you don't stretch the brake lines.

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
oh ok thanks. do you know if removing the exhaust pipe is difficult? looks to be only a few bolts, but not sure if it's tougher to remove then it looks to be.

4.3LXJ
03-01-2011, 11:08 PM
oh ok thanks. do you know if removing the exhaust pipe is difficult? looks to be only a few bolts, but not sure if it's tougher to remove then it looks to be.

It is only tough if the bolts are rusted tight. But usually even though they look it, they are not on the manifold.

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 11:14 PM
It is only tough if the bolts are rusted tight. But usually even though they look it, they are not on the manifold.

oh ok i hope they're in good shape

bigjim350
03-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Several things may give you enough room. I would start by taking the track bar loose, take steering loose at pitman arm, and if that doesn't give you enough room I would just take the lower control arms loose. Some times if you jack up one side it will make the other side go down some, but if your already bottomed out on the control arms, it won't come down any further. What part of Houston are you in?

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 12:07 PM
alright took a few pics to show you guys what's going on.

jeep jacked up
http://www.audiolaboratorystudios.com/jeep/xj_files/JeepJacked.jpg

Oil pan resting on axel
http://www.audiolaboratorystudios.com/jeep/xj_files/oilPanon%20axle.jpg

oil pan unable to pass firewall
http://www.audiolaboratorystudios.com/jeep/xj_files/oilPanon%20axle.jpg

exhaust pipe blocking oil pan. trying to remove this now to hopefully give oil pan the room needed.
http://www.audiolaboratorystudios.com/jeep/xj_files/exhaustpipe.jpg

ran into a complication with the exhaust tail pipe clamp. i got all the bolts off no problem but the tail pipe clamp will not unhook from the support bar it clamps to.

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Several things may give you enough room. I would start by taking the track bar loose, take steering loose at pitman arm, and if that doesn't give you enough room I would just take the lower control arms loose. Some times if you jack up one side it will make the other side go down some, but if your already bottomed out on the control arms, it won't come down any further. What part of Houston are you in?

i'm in the atascocita/ kingwood area not too far from new caney. if you're willing to help out man it would be greatly appreciated and i'll get a case of beer for you :happy0180:

Mudderoy
03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
You could remove the upper and lower control arms on the drivers side. Just the two bolts holding the upper and lower to the axle.

bigjim350
03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I'd be happy to lend a hand, however I won't be able to make it today.

xjrev10
03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
One thing nice about a 2wd drive....slides right out.

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
One thing nice about a 2wd drive....slides right out.

it is 2wd and not sliding right out at all.

muddeprived
03-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Something I noticed in the picture is you have jack stands under the axle and not the frame? They should be under the frame so the jeep doesn't fall on you if the jacks fail. If there are not any jacks under the frame, and the jacks fail, the front axle will go back up and also forward, possible tipping the jack stands over and that's a disaster.

But if you have jacks stands under the frame that aren't showing in the pix, never mind then. :)

Mudderoy
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah good call. Jacks can fail in an instant. Or worse slowly while you're not paying attention.

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I do have a jack stand on the passenger side and just put the other jack stand on the driver. thanks for the warning and i think you guys saved me big time because the jack was lower then it originally was.

prerunner1982
03-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I just did this a month or two ago...

I supported the "frame" and removed the wheels and dropped the axle.
I disconnected the drag link from the steering box.
I also removed the exhaust pipe, but left the starter in.
I did not even disconnect my shocks.
This allowed just enough room to allow the pan to almost slide right out.

I believe the exhaust may be your issue. Update us once you have it removed..

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I just did this a month or two ago...

I supported the "frame" and removed the wheels and dropped the axle.
I disconnected the drag link from the steering box.
I also removed the exhaust pipe, but left the starter in.
I did not even disconnect my shocks.
This allowed just enough room to allow the pan to almost slide right out.

I believe the exhaust may be your issue. Update us once you have it removed..

i do believe you are correct about the exhaust being my issue. can you tell me how you removed the exhaust? I have the 2 bolts that attach the pipe to the manifold and the 2 bolts to the tail pipe clamp but can't get the clamp to come apart. nor can i get the exhaust to budge from its place.

prerunner1982
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I actually had enough movement in mine that this was not an issue. I have a "cat back" system just clamped into place so loosening this clamp gave it enough rotating room that the pipe just swung out of the way.
If worse comes to worse cut the u-bolt holding the exhaust on... you can get replacements at any autoparts store. This would also be a good time to have a new muffler (high flow) put in.

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
ok i did get the exhaust to move a little bit but part of the exhaust (picture below) is causing it not to move any further. is this an important part or is it something that I could just cut and then get a clamp and clamp it back together.

http://www.audiolaboratorystudios.com/jeep/xj_files/exhaust.jpg

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I'd be happy to lend a hand, however I won't be able to make it today.

thanks for the offer well if I can't get it done today I'll let you know.

prerunner1982
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
I do not have a mount like that, of if I did I don't now...Don't take my advice to cut. I thought you were talking about a U-bolt type exhaust hanger..

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 03:17 PM
ok i did get the exhaust to move a little bit but part of the exhaust (picture below) is causing it not to move any further. is this an important part or is it something that I could just cut and then get a clamp and clamp it back together.

http://www.audiolaboratorystudios.com/jeep/xj_files/exhaust.jpg

in the picture above it is the part where it is welded to the pipe and hooks around and into the rubber type of plug. if I can cut this I am home free and can get the exhaust out of the way and get that darn oil pan out.

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
I do not have a mount like that, of if I did I don't now...Don't take my advice to cut. I thought you were talking about a U-bolt type exhaust hanger..

yes i have the ubolt hanger that is loosened and I was able to move the exhaust enough to where it did come loose from where it connects to the manifold but that little plug thing whatever it is is stuck and won't move anymore. I'm hoping I can just cut it and get this thing done with

bigjim350
03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
As far as I can tell, thats just a mount for your exhaust. If you cut it and dont repair it your exhaust pipe may move around and rattle a bit.

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
ah ok so a clamp would not be a sufficient fix i'm guessing?

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 05:06 PM
ok since it is just a mount for the exhaust, if i cut it would a heavy duty clamp be enough to connect the exhaust pipe back to the mount?

muddeprived
03-02-2011, 05:19 PM
You should be able to pry that out of the rubber isolator cuz they sell replacement isolators so has to be a way to get it out. Can you stick a big flat head in the other end of the rubber isolator and hammer it out?

gumby1220
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
You should be able to pry that out of the rubber isolator cuz they sell replacement isolators so has to be a way to get it out. Can you stick a big flat head in the other end of the rubber isolator and hammer it out?

ah thank you didn't even think to look on the otherside of it. thought it was going to be closed of metal backing. thank you going to go at it with a big flat head and hammer

gumby1220
03-03-2011, 02:42 AM
alright got it all finished. It wasn't the rubber stopper there was another support mount towards the back of the before the ubolt. after that was released the exhaust moved no prob. swapped out the rear main seals and oil pan gasket bolted every thing back on except for the shocks sway bars and steering damper will get those first thing in the morning.

ah man was that a major PITA. well atleast i got it done and know how to do it in the future.

Thanks to all you guys and this forum i would still be out there trying to figure it out cussing up a storm.

oderdene
03-03-2011, 06:11 AM
alright got it all finished. It wasn't the rubber stopper there was another support mount towards the back of the before the ubolt. after that was released the exhaust moved no prob. swapped out the rear main seals and oil pan gasket bolted every thing back on except for the shocks sway bars and steering damper will get those first thing in the morning.

ah man was that a major PITA. well atleast i got it done and know how to do it in the future.

congrats Alex, it is useful for others too

gumby1220
03-03-2011, 11:49 AM
very true will definitely answer any questions on here that I see I can answer for anyone else that has to do this. My buddy that has a wrangler said "i'm calling you when I have to do anything to mine"

cantab27
03-03-2011, 12:14 PM
good result mate .........thanks for keeping us up todate .......