PDA

View Full Version : onboard air

finneys98xj
02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Well I have limited access to the internet. So if you need the write up I'm using for this mod let me know.

Anyway. I was looking on a total site and found where people were taking 80's Cadillac air ride compressors and moding them so they could air up tires/run tools with them. I will be adding this mod to my runner and pops98xjs Jeep.

Again this can be mounted anywhere and it doesn't need much work to add to your ride. I'm on my phone but if anybody wants the links let me know and I will try to get it for y'all.

4.3LXJ
02-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Finney, you can also use a Subaru air ride suspension compressor from the 80s. They pump 200# pressure at shut off.

ballma164
02-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Well thats all good but what kind of CFM are you getting out of the compressors. Are they just the same as what you get from a cigarette lighter pump?

finneys98xj
03-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Well thats all good but what kind of CFM are you getting out of the compressors. Are they just the same as what you get from a cigarette lighter pump?

Depends on how you mod them. I have read when you add a air tank with it you can pump a 33 from 10 psi to 40 psi in 2 mins. With out the tank about 3 m and 30 sec. Most setups that want run small tools hook two in sequence and then to a tank. I have yet to do this mod but will be so I can have air to air up tires when needed. If you like the write up I can find it when I get to some where the has widow so I can use my laptop.

finneys98xj
03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Finney, you can also use a Subaru air ride suspension compressor from the 80s. They pump 200# pressure at shut off.

The caddy compressor is easy to find. With a little JB weld you can mod to to pump the same pressure. Most guys I have seen set the pressure to cut off at 150 psi.

bluedragon436
03-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Not sure if this is the link that Finney was looking at... but these are links that I found while doing my research a little bit back for my OBA build..

http://www.yotatech.com/f129/do-yourself-onboard-air-75748/

~ The above link, then links to this one for more information ~

http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/OnBoardAir.shtml#Storage

finneys98xj
03-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Will one of the mods please go back an edit where I said a 36 I meant to say 33.

The articles above are good ones but there is another on yotatech that is better than those I will look later as I'm on my phone and it is a pain to look on it.

4.3LXJ
03-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Hey Mike, it has been awhile since we have heard from you. I have an OBA set up you will like. It will cycle while filling tires and run air tools with no problem. It puts out twice what my shop compressor does.

BlueXJ
03-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Hey Mike, it has been awhile since we have heard from you. I have an OBA set up you will like. It will cycle while filling tires and run air tools with no problem. It puts out twice what my shop compressor does.
Steve,
Fill us in so we know how you built your OBA and if we mere mortals have the same talents to do so.

bluedragon436
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Would love to see some specs, and pics if possible!!

4.3LXJ
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Steve,
Fill us in so we know how you built your OBA and if we mere mortals have the same talents to do so.

Would love to see some specs, and pics if possible!!

I will start a new thread on this so as not to hijack Finneys thread.

ballma164
03-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Nice i have gotten an OBA hooked up on my jeep now but am always looking around to see what everyone else has and maybe upgrade a little more.. It has been a while since I have been on the forums. i have been super busy in school. I will be looking and comparing that setup you have.:D

4.3LXJ
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Ok Mike, I posted it in its own thread.