PDA

View Full Version : Squeak...squeak in the hood

gumby1220
02-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Hello,

I am new here and just recently bought a used 1995 jeep cherrokee sport. It is 4 door 2WD, 6 cylinder, manual tranny.

there are a couple leaks which is no prob and easy to fix. the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket.

but there is also a loud squeak noise that seems to coming from within the valve cover (it's a squeak kind of like a bird but load going Squeak...squeak....squeak....every half second or so while idling and increases in speed and volume when revved). I can be wrong on this and it could be coming from somewhere else. I thought at first it was the belt, but it is not unfortunately. do you guys think it could be that one of the valves needs to be adjusted/torqued to the correct settings or could it be a valve rod causing the squeak? I've read on another site that it could be a water pump pulley issue but there was no follow up on if it solved the issue or not. thanks guys in advanced. any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

rguignard
02-28-2011, 06:28 AM
ok ill take a shot it this try pulling the belt off and running it that way youll know for sure if its in the motor. if the squeak goes away you know its a belt driving part the most common part that makes noise is the idler pulley but i have seen everything make noise so let us know what happens when you pull the belt off.

Outlaw
02-28-2011, 06:29 AM
If you could post a video with the sound that may help troubleshooting the problem a little easier. Check this out and see if this is close. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5984

gumby1220
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
ok will be posting a vid and will take the belt off and see what happens. thanks for the help guys hopefully it is the idler pulley

Mudderoy
02-28-2011, 03:05 PM
My belt would do that when I first started the engine and if I had the A/C on. Or when the belt was wet.

I finally bought a tool to measure how tight the belt was and no longer have that problem. It's quite loud.

If it's not the belt I bet it is an idler pulley.

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 12:31 AM
ok well I didn't do the test or take a video yet because I went ahead and started replacing the valve cover gasket and rear main seal and the oil pan gasket.

I finished the valve cover gasket with no problem, but I spent all day trying to this oil pan out. I have it completely unbolted and is just hanging there. The starter is removed and I even jacked both the jeep up from the frame to where both tires were off the ground. Although it did give a lot more room, there still was not enough to slide the oil pan out. I called it quits for the night and will start tomorrow morning again.

If there is anyone that has successfully removed the oil pan please to share how you accomplished it. Or even better yet anyone in the Houston area that knows how to, and is willing to come over and give me a hand or just point out what exactly I need to do in order to slide the pan out would be appreciated. I'm in the Humble/ Atascocita area.

cantab27
03-01-2011, 01:23 AM
mine was a piece of cake as I'm lifted ...best i can do is post this
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearMain.htm

give it a few hows and a few will chip in with some good tips ,,,
good luck , keep us up dated

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 01:41 AM
mine was a piece of cake as I'm lifted ...best i can do is post this
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearMain.htm

give it a few hows and a few will chip in with some good tips ,,,
good luck , keep us up dated

this is exactly what I used as a guide and how to but the darn oil pan just won't slide out haha. But hopefully tomorrow when the sun is out it'll be easy but not too sure on that since i was out there for about 4 hours just trying to get it to slide out. spent so much time on it today i figured it's not worth getting mad about and just laughed and called my jeep a stubborn sob haha.

Outlaw
03-01-2011, 06:30 AM
To get the suspension to drop enough to give you some clearance try unbolting the bottom of the front shocks and the sway bars. Both of those will prevent to much droop for a stock suspension, hope it helps. :)

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
ok spent all day trying to get this and still won't drop out. I have it raised up and both suspensions are unbolted at the bottom even went as far to remove the steering dampener which a was PITA. just saw that i overlooked what outlaw suggested earlier and going to disconnect the sway bars. this better work wish me luck.

gumby1220
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
ok the sway bars are disconnected dropped a bit but instead of the middle portion of the slope in the oil pan hitting the axel stopping it from being able to be pulled out it is the bottom of the oil pan hitting it. :mad0090:

I really do appreciate all the help. but I think I have done everything that can be done. Unless there is a way to push the front axel more towards the front by a 1/2" to 1".

I know I could drop the entire axel but that is out of the question don't have the time. if there's nothing else i can do then i'll skip on replacing the rear main seal and clean the oil pan as best as possible put new oil pan gasket on and reassemble.

but please let there be someone that has done this with a stock suspension that knows how to do this. or if there is someone out there in the houston area willing to come over and give me a hand to dismount and remount the front axel tomorrow please let me know. I can't pay but i'll get you a 12 pack of beer.

modestmar00xj
03-02-2011, 09:05 AM
yeah i got some squeaking going on when i turn on my AC! just another thing to fix!..

gumby1220
03-03-2011, 02:47 AM
well finaly got it all fix only took 3 days lol, but i was learning as i went. and next time i have to do it should go much quicker. thanks for helping out guys.

uberxj92
03-12-2011, 10:51 PM
did all of this fix the squeak??

cantab27
03-12-2011, 10:56 PM
sounds fix the rest,,,turn that cd player up

Metlic53
03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
well finaly got it all fix only took 3 days lol, but i was learning as i went. and next time i have to do it should go much quicker. thanks for helping out guys.

Man that oil pan is not fun to mess with! luckily i had 4.5 inches of lift and it slid out without any jacks at all. How long did it take you to clean off the old factory cork gasket off the block? i spent a few hours on it with a wire brush on a drill and boy was it a PITA, my face was covered in grease and dirt. Wasn't too happy!:mad0090:
did you get the good fel pro gasket? and not the cardboard cork gasket? If you got the good rubber gasket, how did you get the gasket to get up on the back part of the block? I put the gasket on the oil pan then raised it up, but i couldn't tell if the gasket went in it slot in the back, it was either a hit or miss, luckily i got it in there i guess cuz no leaks, thank GOD
oh ya, what was the squeaking?

gumby1220
03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
did all of this fix the squeak??
Unfortunately not although i still have yet to check the pulleys. the squeak comes and goes though.

Man that oil pan is not fun to mess with! luckily i had 4.5 inches of lift and it slid out without any jacks at all. How long did it take you to clean off the old factory cork gasket off the block? i spent a few hours on it with a wire brush on a drill and boy was it a PITA, my face was covered in grease and dirt. Wasn't too happy!:mad0090:
did you get the good fel pro gasket? and not the cardboard cork gasket? If you got the good rubber gasket, how did you get the gasket to get up on the back part of the block? I put the gasket on the oil pan then raised it up, but i couldn't tell if the gasket went in it slot in the back, it was either a hit or miss, luckily i got it in there i guess cuz no leaks, thank GOD
oh ya, what was the squeaking?
well luckily it was the old cork gasket so cleaning didn't take long. even so my face was still covered in grease and dirt lol. I did basically what you did I put some sealant around the pan to help the fel pro gasket stay in place and also put sealant on top of the gasket and lifted it up. no leaks from oil pan anymore here either so seems like it made it in the slot. squeaking still comes and goes so I'll eventually get around to checking the pulleys.