PDA

View Full Version : Headlight/high beam problem...

Mr Clean
02-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Here's the issue, my low beams work fine but when I push on or pull on the high beams my headlights go off completely. What could be the issue and what should I check first, second etc.?

They, the high beams, worked fine before today. When pulled or pushed into the on position they came on as they should.

BrianXJ
02-26-2011, 10:51 PM
I would check the muti-function switch on the column

Mudderoy
02-27-2011, 12:11 AM
I've only had that problem once, and that was with a 1973 Pontiac Ventura. It was the high beam switch.

jpmangley
02-27-2011, 01:16 AM
I've just had a similar problem with my '95 Jeep XJ. In my case the sidelights didn't go off, the headlights just wouldn't go on and sometimes there was a sizzling noise like it was shorting.

I got a new light switch from ebay for £30 and it was fairly straightforward to replace. Take the housing off around the steering column.

Then take the whole dashboard off.

Next unscrew the switch housings on the dashboard and take out the instrument cluster.

You need to unscrew the under dash knee guard and let that drop down.

Theres a button under the light switch, you'll be able to reach up and press it and pull out the light switch plunger. This takes a couple of attempts as the you have to release the button and then press again.

Now you can reach from where the instrument cluster should be and disconnect the wires to the light switch.

Now you can use a screw driver to unscrew the light switch from where the light switch plunger was.

Now switch it over and put everything back. Dead easy :-)

Firemanray
02-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Check the bulbs first. My FIL chased the same problem for days one time. I told him to check the bulbs, he couldn't believe both bulbs would fail at once. 2 new bulbs, problem solved.

Mr Clean
02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Check the bulbs first. My FIL chased the same problem for days one time. I told him to check the bulbs, he couldn't believe both bulbs would fail at once. 2 new bulbs, problem solved.
That's what I thought BOTH high beam filaments could have blown at the same time. I have a bulb that I'll use to check and get back to the forum with my findings, thanx for all the input guys.

Jpmangley: thanx but I'll take the easy way out and check the bulbs "before" I go and remove my dash.

Mr Clean
02-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Ok I checked the bulbs and no dice; still no high beams even though my low beams work fine.
What should be my next step or check "before" I go and start tearing apart the steering column & dash as Jp... suggested?
If the turn signal, high beam lever/switch needs replacing, is there a write up here on it? If not has anyone done this and if so could you post the procedure plz.? I have a '01 Limited so I'm not sure if all Cherokees have the same turn signal, high beam switch set-up. Thanx!

steph74
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
fuses, relays, wires.... i would check everything between the bulb and the switch.
I have learned that it is usually the simple thing.... you have started by checking the bulb so the next simple thing would be .... shorts

LizardRunner
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I agree with Steph74, check everything between first then start tearing down. It could be something simple and cheep.