PDA

View Full Version : bolt on muffler?

Switch_knuckles
02-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I live in CO, the other day I was sitting in the parking lot when a LEO came up to me and informed me that my vehicle was to loud. He did not write me a ticket or anything. But he did inform me that I need a muffler when I go to have my emissions checked. I guess they can fail you if it is to loud. Is there anyway to make it so I can just bolt in a muffler for emissions testing and run my straight pipe the rest of the time. Without having to cut and weld. I have used the clamps before and it makes the pipes a pain in the a$$ to get apart. I was thinking of fitting the muffler and just drilling a hole all the way thru the pipes on both sides. Then just running a bolt thru it. That way after the test I could just unbolt it take out the muffler and put my sraight pipe back in. Any ideas.

Hope my elementary school drawing helps explain what I am thinking.
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/Untitled-2.jpg

Metlic53
02-26-2011, 11:21 AM
without clamps its going to sound like there is a bad exhaust leak

Outlaw
02-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I live in CO, the other day I was sitting in the parking lot when a LEO came up to me and informed me that my vehicle was to loud. He did not write me a ticket or anything. But he did inform me that I need a muffler when I go to have my emissions checked. I guess they can fail you if it is to loud. Is there anyway to make it so I can just bolt in a muffler for emissions testing and run my straight pipe the rest of the time. Without having to cut and weld. I have used the clamps before and it makes the pipes a pain in the a$$ to get apart. I was thinking of fitting the muffler and just drilling a hole all the way thru the pipes on both sides. Then just running a bolt thru it. That way after the test I could just unbolt it take out the muffler and put my sraight pipe back in. Any ideas.

Hope my elementary school drawing helps explain what I am thinking.
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/Switch_Knuckles/Untitled-2.jpg

Try looking into these... I know there are several other types but this one is electric and you dont have to get out of the vehicle to do anything... good for "big boned" people like me :D http://www.superstang.com/powered_exhaust.htm

4.3LXJ
02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
The other alternative is to just run a loud muffler. Flowmaster, Spintech or an equivalent.

Switch_knuckles
02-26-2011, 03:58 PM
just run a cherry bomb maybe?

4.3LXJ
02-26-2011, 04:00 PM
They are cheap, but I don't like the sound of them. Whatever your preference is. As long as it is less than 90 decibels, it should pass. My muffler is rated at 65 decibels.

Switch_knuckles
02-26-2011, 04:16 PM
It has been a while since I have actually heard one. I just see them in the parts store all the time. Like you said they are cheap.

default83
02-28-2011, 06:36 AM
you could probably run two hose clamps on each side of your design instead of a bolt. but your going to have a hell of a time getting the exhaust to flex enough to pull one out and put the other one in.

but i agree with a bolt its going to sound really bad. why not weld on a flange with the two bolts on either side? then you have a stock setup with easy removal and good sound.

rugidone
02-28-2011, 06:42 AM
be better off welding a flange at each of the joints, pop in a gasket at each end and bolt them up.

Switch_knuckles
02-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Nice idea, I like that!!!

LizardRunner
03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
There are also muffler cores available that you can just screw in and take out when you don't want them in place. I had some for my GTO so I would be legal on the streets in california. Those would allow you to not have to do any flanges for R&R of a muffler.