PDA

View Full Version : engine cooling fan

steph74
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I am not sure about the exact name of the parts but I'll try to exxplain.

The engine cooling fan in my jeep turns all the time. I was not concerned about that until I read that it was supposed to be some kind of clutch or device (viscous fan ?) that dissengage it at certain times.
The article said that when towing and heavy duty you can replace that clutch / viscous thing to have the fan run permanently and help cooling
I am thinking the PO did that (for all I know)

Now in the chat, I am just learning that they can lock when they fail....

So how do I decide.... PO mod or OEM failure ?

and more important would that make a difference if I leave it like hat or if I try to fix

rugidone
02-25-2011, 10:17 PM
I think the clutch fans are always spinning, just at different speeds, the higher the underhood temps, the tighter the clutch gets and faster the fan spins with rpms?

4.3LXJ
02-26-2011, 08:46 PM
That is the way it is supposed to be. But first it is useful to understand why they have clutches in the first place. It is a gas milage thing. If you have a vehicle that is prone to overheating, ditch the clutch because the fan will turn at full engine speed. When they clutch fan fails, it stops being a clutch and begins to be direct drive. Personally, I like them that way.

steph74
02-27-2011, 09:29 PM
So basically.... my engine is not overheating, the fan is turning.... I should not worry about that further ?

4.3LXJ
02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I think you are alright as you are. If it starts to overheat, then worry about it.

uberxj92
03-05-2011, 07:24 PM
I think the clutch fans are always spinning, just at different speeds, the higher the underhood temps, the tighter the clutch gets and faster the fan spins with rpms?

the clutch on the fan is designed to engage at low RPM's & disengage at higher RPM's. temps don't really have an effect. when the engine get's to a certain temp then the electric fan turns on. if you use direct drive fans then you will break the belt on a regular basis at normal driving RPM's. & not to mention the fuel economy of having a direct drive fan. or lack there of.

if you are having overheating issues then there ALOT of things that you can do. but that's a different thread.

LizardRunner
03-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Like Uberxj says it should disengage at speed, idle is when it should be locked to spin the fan. The faster you are traveling, the more air is flowing through the radiator so the fan isn't needed as much and it can disengage to save fuel, also frees up hp. If you aren't overheating, it's probably working correctly. hard to run beside the jeep to see if it isn't turning at 50 mph too.

steph74
03-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks
problem solved, I am not worrying about it no more, I have too many other things in mind lol....

I guess I will not know if it is running when i hit 50.... that is way to fast to run and definitely not safe to have a kid strapped on the hood to check.

I am not overheating (only overeating) so i am good.....

LizardRunner
03-08-2011, 04:14 PM
well then, there ya go and smartly to boot :thumbsup:

xj4life2
03-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Let me add my 2cents here' There are actually two types of fan clutches First is the Rpm style that works completely off the RPM of the engine . Second is the temp regulated style thats works off the temp in the engine compartment.