PDA

View Full Version : Np231 to a NP242 wiring?

Wolfies95XJ
02-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Ok I know the light wiring is different and I dont have the wiring harness from the donor vehicle but I have the connector. Do I need to have the full time light hooked up? My lights that indicate 2wd 4wd etc dont work... or they are very dim. I read I might need to run a extra wire? Im doing this in school at our automotive shop and my teacher would like to have it hooked up but from what I read it isnt important? I mean it wont mess with driving right?

LizardRunner
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?t=1922 this may be of help to you. it's a write up about the swap your doing. Also, this site has lots of info on the 231 242 swap. http://www.mallcrawlin.com/ just go searching for what info you need.

Wolfies95XJ
02-25-2011, 02:50 PM
So back to my question? Can I drive the jeep even tho I dont have the lights plug plugged in?

Joliet Johnny
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
So back to my question? Can I drive the jeep even tho I dont have the lights plug plugged in?

As far as I know it can be driven without the lights. I think its just there so you dont have to look down at the shifter similar to how the Japanese do it on their automatic cars. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

4.3LXJ
02-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Definitely. The lights don't affect anything mechanical. They are just a convenience.

XJ4IV
02-25-2011, 11:38 PM
What lights??? :hmmmm2: Mine havent worked correctly for two years... every now and then when offroading I hit a nice size rock and it will ight up just for a second... you really dont need it... 4hi turn and drive forward if it hops your good 4 lo give the gas a good quick push if it hops MORE than normal your good... to put back in 2wd place shifter back into position while rolling forward at about 5-10 mph in neutral then put back into drive and stop vehicle, reverse for a foot or two, then press the brake and the gas at same time... if backs spin your good... its redneck but it works...

Wolfies95XJ
02-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Cool. I have one more quicky. If the np242 isnt shifting into gear correctly could it make a popping noise when it finally activates from 2 to 4 or 4 to 2? Ive got to change out the shifter plate from the 231 to 242. I tried 4wd and it got P.O...