PDA

View Full Version : I am changing my ball joints next week...

phillyxj570
02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I am changing my ball joints next week. After I change them do I need to get an alignment done? Also when I turn left or right I have a real loud popping sound from the front end. Could this be because of my shot ball joints?

Mudderoy
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I am changing my ball joints next week. After I change them do I need to get an alignment done? Also when I turn left or right I have a real loud popping sound from the front end. Could this be because of my shot ball joints?

Any time you change anything in the front end you should get an alignment, but maybe someone will show up and correct me on this.

The popping noise while turning could be u-joints in the front axles. Pretty easy to change and cheap. A lot cheaper to change them out before they break lose and ruin your axle.

phillyxj570
02-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Its not the u joints I replace them every other month because of the ball joints and even right after the fresh u joints are in it still makes the popping when I turn.

Mudderoy
02-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Its not the u joints I replace them every other month because of the ball joints and even right after the fresh u joints are in it still makes the popping when I turn.

Does it make a difference if it is in 4x4 or not?

oderdene
02-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Any time you change anything in the front end you should get an alignment, but maybe someone will show up and correct me on this.

The popping noise while turning could be u-joints in the front axles. Pretty easy to change and cheap. A lot cheaper to change them out before they break lose and ruin your axle.

2X; for popping - tie rods and steering stabilizer, my loose nut on conical end was an issue

phillyxj570
02-23-2011, 06:50 PM
No it does not matter if its in 4x4 or not. I had my wife turn the wheel for me while I looked I noticed that the track bar was moving back and forth at the axle bracket. I took the bolt out and put in a new one. After I put the new bolt in the popping issue went away for a day or two and then it starts doing it again.

bigjim350
02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
sounds like you bolt or the tie rod end on the track bar are working themselves loose. As far as the alignment goes, if it was aligned with the bad ball joints, it will be out of alignment with the new ball joints. Its easy to do an alignment in the driveway with a tape measure

Mudderoy
02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
No it does not matter if its in 4x4 or not. I had my wife turn the wheel for me while I looked I noticed that the track bar was moving back and forth at the axle bracket. I took the bolt out and put in a new one. After I put the new bolt in the popping issue went away for a day or two and then it starts doing it again.

Ok you have your answer then, it's the track bar. Mine would do that when I backed up and was turning. I bought a new track bar.

phillyxj570
02-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I am buying a new u joint to replace the one that is about to blow up. I am ordering ball joints tomorrow when I can get more $ in my account. I am thinking that the popping may be the track bar bushing so I am going to get a new one of them also.

teamwestoutdoors
02-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I am buying a new u joint to replace the one that is about to blow up. I am ordering ball joints tomorrow when I can get more $ in my account. I am thinking that the popping may be the track bar bushing so I am going to get a new one of them also.

I had same loud popping sound and changing my ball joints put a stop to that. I would make sure you get a ball joint remover because it a whole lot of work without one!

phillyxj570
02-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Well today I ordered new ball joints, u joints and a new track bar bushing.