PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler high strangness!

Mudderoy
02-23-2011, 03:55 PM
One of the first things I did when trying to resolve my running hotter than 210 on the highway was to stick something in the middle of the air flow, a 13k BTU B&M transmission cooler.

It didn't make a difference at least not to the running hot problem. It may have made it better on the transmission, but I didn't have a way to measure the temperature of the transmission fluid. That tranny temp gauge is still on my wish list.

Back in the summer, prior to a run out to Creekside Edge Off Road park I moved it from in front of the condenser to the opening in my bumper. Just below where the winch mounts is a perfect, yet angled place for it to go.

I installed it there and all was fine, as far as I could tell, again no temp gauge for the transmission. Of course it was one of three coolers. The radiator, the factory cooler, and the B&M.

Recently I noticed some oil leaking so I looked for the source. It appeared to be coming from the transmission cooler. It wasn't a real bad leak so I ran with it for a few weeks. Weekend before last I got around to removing it to see if I could find the source of the problem. Turns out both hoses were lose. The clamps were there but I could spin both hoses easily.

Before I put the cooler back in and hook it back up, do you think this is just a case that I didn't have BOTH clamps tightened or is there some weird thing I don't know about transmission fluid, hoses and clamps?

Those clamps aren't anything I can get to once it is installed so I'd like to find out now. Maybe there's some special goop I'm supposed to put on it.

Weldmen
02-23-2011, 10:58 PM
From my experience the rubber hoses after getting hot and cold over and over tend to loosen the clamps after time. I would suggest using these.
http://www.pipehoseclamp.com/productdetail/74551/doubleboltssuperclamps.htm

Mudderoy
02-23-2011, 11:02 PM
From my experience the rubber hoses after getting hot and cold over and over tend to loosen the clamps after time. I would suggest using these.
http://www.pipehoseclamp.com/productdetail/74551/doubleboltssuperclamps.htm

pretty.... :thanx:

Weldmen
02-23-2011, 11:03 PM
I think you can get them threw Grainger or Fastenall.

default83
02-24-2011, 06:41 AM
just tighten the hell out of them, it should hold.

granted it will shrink and expand but not by much, my guess is when you moved it, it wasnt tight enough.

do you have regular hose clamps on them? or those cheasy clamps that you have to use pliers on?

edit: also there is not secret issue with tranny fluid clamps and hoses(at least ive never seen/heard of it), stuff just comes loose over time.

xj4life2
02-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Muddy , I normally use some permatex 1b and then double clamp on trans lines. Its just cheap insurance. Clamps will loose'n and hoses will expand and contract. But with the 1b and double clamps I've never had an issue

Mudderoy
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
just tighten the hell out of them, it should hold.

granted it will shrink and expand but not by much, my guess is when you moved it, it wasnt tight enough.

do you have regular hose clamps on them? or those cheasy clamps that you have to use pliers on?

edit: also there is not secret issue with tranny fluid clamps and hoses(at least ive never seen/heard of it), stuff just comes loose over time.

Yeah I've never had an issue either, but having both hoses lose was confusing.

LizardRunner
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
good ideas there. Here's mine, use aircraft braid and AN fittings, they don't come loose unless you mean for them to. pricey but cheeper than a tranny.