PDA

View Full Version : ok need a new alternator now...

Metlic53
02-19-2011, 08:37 PM
My alternator crapped out on my at creekside, i'm going to clean it out and take it to oreilly or autozone and get it tested, if it fails im going to buy a better one. any suggestions?
I know there is a zj alternator that has more amps and will bolt into the xj with some slight modification. Anyone know the part number or year zj this one i need is? v8 zj right?
Thanks

msmoorenburg
02-19-2011, 08:44 PM
98 Grand cherokee 4.0 will do the trick

Punisher
02-19-2011, 08:46 PM
It's gonna cost ya a pretty penny but you could go with the mean green alternator for about 400.00 90 amp idle to 200 amp max :D

cantab27
02-19-2011, 09:46 PM
check with tony ... muddy he just done put a new one in ...

Mudderoy
02-19-2011, 11:42 PM
My alternator crapped out on my at creekside, i'm going to clean it out and take it to oreilly or autozone and get it tested, if it fails im going to buy a better one. any suggestions?
I know there is a zj alternator that has more amps and will bolt into the xj with some slight modification. Anyone know the part number or year zj this one i need is? v8 zj right?
Thanks

I wouldn't buy anything from Autozone but light bulbs, and even that I would be suspicious.

BlueXJ
02-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Use NAPA if one is available. If that is not a choice then try O'Reilly or Advance before Autozone.
Use the 98 ZJ 4.0L replacement. You may need to alter the bracket on the engine side by opening it slightly to accommodate the wider alternator's male bracket part.

Metlic53
02-20-2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't buy anything from Autozone but light bulbs, and even that I would be suspicious.

I dont really like autozone either but what is your reasoning behind not liking autozone?

Use NAPA if one is available. If that is not a choice then try O'Reilly or Advance before Autozone.
Use the 98 ZJ 4.0L replacement. You may need to alter the bracket on the engine side by opening it slightly to accommodate the wider alternator's male bracket part.

I have a napa right next to oreilly and autozone, i'll go there and get one.
Thanks!

Metlic53
02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
do i need the 90 amp or the 136 amp? they sell both

Punisher
02-21-2011, 06:27 AM
depends... do you have power window or a heavy duty stereo system...ect..
if so then go with the 136 amp but if it's all stock with crank windows the you can go with 90amp... but if I were you I'd go with the 136amp either way just incase you decided to add a winch or whatever just so you have the power to run them....

Metlic53
02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
got the 136 amp alternator. took twenty minutes to get it to fit. an hour tops on install. Was alot easier than i thought.

bluedragon436
02-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Glad to hear it worked out for you... Did you have to modify the alt. bracket at all for the install?? And do you happen to have the part number you purchased?? This may be useful for not only me, thinking of the upgrade.. but others!

Metlic53
02-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Glad to hear it worked out for you... Did you have to modify the alt. bracket at all for the install?? And do you happen to have the part number you purchased?? This may be useful for not only me, thinking of the upgrade.. but others!

yeah, you have to take the alternator bracket off of the motor and put the bracket onto the alternator to see exactly where you need to grind. i did this back and forth for about 30 minutes until it fit perfectly. i think i grinded off about 1/4 inch. There is one spot that got hung up the most. You will figure it out when you get the alt though (really easy).
All i did was go to Oreilly and ask for a 1998 Jeep grand cherokees 5.2 v8 136 amp alternator and gave them my 90 amp as a core. I was afraid if i told them i was giving a 90 amp core for the 136 they wouldn't do it so they assumed it was a 136. oopps.
here is the link and part number
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ULT0/050442.oap?pt=01468&ppt=C0330