PDA

View Full Version : LOL! Almost a bad afternoon for me.

OverEasy
02-17-2011, 03:57 PM
OK. So to set the story off, I was inspired by the thread "Rig Pictures". I was looking through the thread "Lets see your flex" and as some of you know I also own a Samurai. As I was looking through the thread I got to thinking about how well the Samurai should flex when the build is all done being that I swapped over to YJ springs with Missing Links front and rear. (revolver style shackles)

I got to thinking, I wanted to have some "flex" shots of my Cherokee. I know it's stock but thats still fun to me! So I proceeded to go outside to a ditch that runs through my yard. I've driven through it several times with my Samurai and Jeep. I just haven't taken the Jeep through the deeper side that the Samurai has been through. With my camera in my lap and the Jeep now in gear, off to the ditch I went! :driving:

I went through without lifting a tire so I got out and took a few pics!
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new008.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new006.jpg

Well, that got boring.... Sooo, I went a little deeper into the ditch, it lifted a tire. I figured it would being that my front sway bar is still hooked up. :headshake:
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new013.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new019.jpg

Now here is where I don't quite know my limits. (well, I do I just like to push them :rolleyes:) I figured I would go just a tad bit deeper in the ditch. I had turned the Jeep around on the last pics to where I was now facing down hill and momentum was down hill also. Annnddddd through the ditch I go.....

HOLY shit , what was I thinking! I felt the passenger rear tire come up but this time it didn't stop, it kept going. I just held on for the ride. :eek: It finally came to a teetering rest and I did what any logical person would do, I got out to take pictures!
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new023.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new018.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new025.jpg

The passenger rear tire was almost 3' off the ground.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new024.jpg

The money shot! :rotfl2:
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/The%20Jeep/new028.jpg

Now, if my neighbors don't think I'm crazy by now, I don't know how to convince them. A couple people drove by looking with the ?w?t?f? look on their face and three stopped to ask "do you need help outa there?" which I replied without thinking.... "No thanks, I did it on purpose." :rotfl2: Now I know pictures don't always do justice but this really was a close call. I put it in reverse with one foot gas/ one foot brake and backed on out very carefully. :smiley-gen165:

Hope you at least got a little smirk out of this little story of my excursion to my yard today! I know I sure did! Twas fun to say the least. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
02-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Great shots, thanks. I wish I was down the street I'd like to see how my rig would handle it. That's better than a ramp!

4x4Dalton
02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
It works good Tony. I went through it the day we went to Shoe Creek. Good lil Holy :turd: pass if ya hit it just right.

xj4life2
02-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Nice Dalton , couldn't have been that scary if ya got out , In those extream situations my backside normally grabs the seat and wont let go !!!!!!

4x4Dalton
02-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Nice Dalton , couldn't have been that scary if ya got out , In those extream situations my backside normally grabs the seat and wont let go !!!!!!

Thats why they call me Mr.Hardcore :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:.

OverEasy
02-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Great shots, thanks. I wish I was down the street I'd like to see how my rig would handle it. That's better than a ramp!

Thanks, I got some shots and almost some really good ones! LOL!

It works good Tony. I went through it the day we went to Shoe Creek. Good lil Holy :turd: pass if ya hit it just right.

Hahaa, yeah! Just gotta find that sweet spot!

Well, lets just say that there is a permanent wrinkle in my drivers seat and my jeans now. I backed out sslloowwllyy.... It was the most sketch I've been in the Cherokee so far.

Thats why they call me Mr.Hardcore :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:.

:D:smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Hey, you weren't in danger of rolling yet. But nice shots. While I am at it, I have two sets of new drive line spacers for a Sammy. Know anyone who might need them?

OverEasy
02-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Hey, you weren't in danger of rolling yet. But nice shots. While I am at it, I have two sets of new drive line spacers for a Sammy. Know anyone who might need them?

Ya, I've been on my side more times than I can count on one hand in my own vehicles and in others both hands. But in my daily driver..... that was as close as I EVER want to go.

can you pm me the size and what you want for the spacers? I may be able to find them a home if they aren't needed by you anymore. :thumbsup:

bigjim350
02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Great pics and story. Not sure if it would have went over or not, but I know for sure when your in it, it feels like it is.

OverEasy
02-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Great pics and story. Not sure if it would have went over or not, but I know for sure when your in it, it feels like it is.

Thanks! Ya, I wouldn't have gotten out if I had thought that it would have flopped on over. Def. wouldn't have walked around it casually taking pictures. But when it felt like it was going to just keep going... I wasn't sure. It teetered to a stop and I waited a few seconds, I wasn't going to press my luck and keep going forward though... :headshake: I have been on my side in the ditch before.

oderdene
02-17-2011, 08:31 PM
very nice photos and story. what a capable, even stocker :D

cantab27
02-17-2011, 08:37 PM
that's the spirit ,,,if in doubt get out and take pics ,,,,cheers

BrianXJ
02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Nice Pics

Moore825
02-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Nice! Whats the specs on your Samurai? I buddy of mine has a 88. We put a rocky road outfitters spoa kit on his last summer. Then came yj springs and trail tough missing links with 32" SSRs. Latest change we made was a rear spool. Those little things are capable!

rugidone
02-18-2011, 06:57 AM
AWWWWW. I want to play....

OverEasy
02-18-2011, 07:17 AM
very nice photos and story. what a capable, even stocker :D

Thanks, I have a blast with it stock! :thumbsup:

that's the spirit ,,,if in doubt get out and take pics ,,,,cheers

LOL! Not all the time do I think things through clearly. :cool:

Nice Pics

Thanks!

Nice! Whats the specs on your Samurai? I buddy of mine has a 88. We put a rocky road outfitters spoa kit on his last summer. Then came yj springs and trail tough missing links with 32" SSRs. Latest change we made was a rear spool. Those little things are capable!

Thanks! The Samurai has been through a couple of builds now. Funny how they progress. The build on it now is....

87 Tin Top -
Under the hood
Head Shaved
new rockers
springs
valves
bored .030
Forged bottom end
Rods
pistons
torque cam
header
2 1/2" exhaust NO CAT (:D)
GM alt
Yellow Top Optima
Radiator Barn Steel Radiator

Suspension
YJ Leaf Springs ( 5 leaf front / 4 leaf rear)
SKY missing links f/r
Ford F-250 shock towers
RRO rear upper shock relocation bar
RRO rear lower shock relocation tabs
RRO front lower shock relocation tabs
extended brake lines
Doetsch Shocks

Steering
RRO over the top stage 2

Axles
Stock Samurai Axles
3.73 gears (for now. will be running 5.12 soon)
stock shafts (getting chromos soon)
Lock right front
Lock right rear
dif guards f/r
f/r axle breathers off a XJ

Tires and Wheels
5 - 34" Interco Super Swamper LTB (when they wear I'm gonna try the PitBull 35" Rockers)
5 - 15x8" soft 8 rockcrawlers (switching to a set of 15x8 Bart wheels for proper back spacing)

Other Stuff
6.5 transfer case gears
Homemade front bumper w/ stinger and winch mount
Homemade rear bumper
Rock sliders
f/r rock lights
Belly skid
Ramsey 8.5lb winch
Wireless winch remote
97 Honda Civic MINT seats (I got them for 10 bucks)
Cobra CB w/ firestick antenna

I think that's it. I'm sure I forgot something. Its still not quite done just yet, couple of smaller things holding me back atm. Time being one of them.

OverEasy
02-18-2011, 07:19 AM
AWWWWW. I want to play....

A bit of a drive but you're more than welcome! :D

Moore825
02-18-2011, 10:16 AM
How does your's drive on the highway or does it with those transfer case gears? Have you had pretty good luck with the 1.3? We installed a weber 32/26, ported the intake, and got rid of the mess of a air box in favor of the little weber air cleaner. I have a feeling it needs to be adjusted but it runs a helluva lot better. Just curious what your thoughts were on whats been done to your engine. Next on the list for my friend is either a header or new piping and muffler, or both. The cat was gone when he got it but the tiny exhaust pipe remains :D

OverEasy
02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
How does your's drive on the highway or does it with those transfer case gears? Have you had pretty good luck with the 1.3? We installed a weber 32/26, ported the intake, and got rid of the mess of a air box in favor of the little weber air cleaner. I have a feeling it needs to be adjusted but it runs a helluva lot better. Just curious what your thoughts were on whats been done to your engine. Next on the list for my friend is either a header or new piping and muffler, or both. The cat was gone when he got it but the tiny exhaust pipe remains :D

Once I did the gears it helped out a TON! The clutch helped out also. I like the little 1.3. Its (now) got plenty of HP and the torque from the gears is nasty. 2 hi is great. Around town it zips through traffic and really wouldn't make a bad daily. I'm still running the factory compucarb, just got rid of the stupid intake and went with a little 4" air cleaner on top of it. I haven't had a seconds problem out of it. It will run upside down, I believe. It has completely on its side before. ;) The carb just didn't like the cam I installed on it. We had to bump up the idle on it but once that got figured out it runs like a champ!

Punisher
02-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Nice photo shots and story... Now its time to put a lift on it and go extreme :D

OverEasy
02-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Nice photo shots and story... Now its time to put a lift on it and go extreme :D

Hahaa, thanks! As extreme this thing will go will be a 2" BB and some 30" tires. :thumbsup:

We'll see how long that lasts anyway...

Moore825
02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Once I did the gears it helped out a TON! The clutch helped out also. I like the little 1.3. Its (now) got plenty of HP and the torque from the gears is nasty. 2 hi is great. Around town it zips through traffic and really wouldn't make a bad daily. I'm still running the factory compucarb, just got rid of the stupid intake and went with a little 4" air cleaner on top of it. I haven't had a seconds problem out of it. It will run upside down, I believe. It has completely on its side before. ;) The carb just didn't like the cam I installed on it. We had to bump up the idle on it but once that got figured out it runs like a champ!

Nice. What kind of cam did you go with? I heard you have to pull the engine out to install the cam from the back. This true?

OverEasy
02-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Nice. What kind of cam did you go with? I heard you have to pull the engine out to install the cam from the back. This true?

I went with this cam...

http://www.puresuzuki.com/mid-range_camshaft.htm

Yes, its true. You have to remove the engine to install a cam, or at least get the head above the front grill. For the work, its just easier to remove it. Mine needed to come out anyway.

Moore825
02-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks I'll be bookmarking that cam for my friend.

Just noticed your build thread too! :thumbsup:

CONDUCTORICK
02-24-2011, 04:13 AM
nice pics. i am jealous now. will have to see what mine can do tomorrow.

OverEasy
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks I'll be bookmarking that cam for my friend.

Just noticed your build thread too! :thumbsup:

Ya, I love it. It opened up mine pretty well when I get down on it.

LOL! Yeah, I went ahead and posted a build thread! Its got the vids in it so you can hear how the cam sounds in it.

nice pics. i am jealous now. will have to see what mine can do tomorrow.

:D Nice! Urban wheeling can make for some great pics! Take some and post em up!