PDA

View Full Version : xjtalk.com emergency help service!

Mudderoy
02-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Well I've been discussing this idea with the admin and moderators and now it's time to see what the members think.

First a bit of background...

A couple of months ago I was headed home and I heard my mechanical fan scrapping metal. I quickly pulled into a store parking lot and killed the engine. Looking around I found that my harmonic balancer had separated and the outside ring was rubbing on the fan blades. I was stuck!

I had a cell phone but what I really needed to do was to speak with another Jeep Cherokee person and see what they thought about the situation. I called a local xjtalk member and discussed my options with him. I didn't need him to drive out and help me I just needed someone that knew Jeeps and I could bounce off what to do. Of course I could have asked him to look up a number for me etc...

I think we all have friends that we can call but not all our friends (or any of them) may have a Jeep Cherokee. So I thought that what xjtalk.com could do would be to set up a special e-mail address. Assuming that you have a smart phone with e-mail access when you had an emergency and you needed a xjtalk member to speak with, or maybe look up a number for a wrecker service, etc... you would e-mail a message. That message would be e-mailed to a list of people. If you wanted a call back you would include your cell phone number, if not the response would be via e-mail.

The idea here isn't for someone to jump in their Jeep and drive out to where you are, but to help you make a plan on how to get home, hopefully with your Jeep!

Now I don't know how well I'm explaining this, or even if this sounds like anything you think would be worth having. I just know how important that call was that I made to rguignard. It really helped me clarify what I needed to do. I could have just called a wrecker but then I would have spent $140 for the wrecker then another $45 for the new harmonic balancer. Instead I just replaced the failed part and drove home!

This wouldn't be a service to use while you are working on your Jeep in the driveway, or at a buddy's house and you needed to know the torque spec for a head bolt. It would be for when you were STUCK away from HOME and you needed advice, or someone to look up a number.

Of course there would be NO guarantee that anyone would respond to your request either.

prcjeep
02-16-2011, 11:25 PM
is would be quite a great service! This is what makes the site so great for those of us that use it! I dont know if other forums have this but wow, GREAT idea with this and I think you should go ahead with it!

cantab27
02-16-2011, 11:25 PM
think its a great idea tony ..... can i call reverse chargers ....

(if ya jeeps green ya shouldn't need this service )

prcjeep
02-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I just saw the voting option at the top of the tread... I would love to help out with this as well but i dont have a smart phone...

JENSSEN
02-16-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm down,..:)

Mudderoy
02-16-2011, 11:31 PM
I just saw the voting option at the top of the tread... I would love to help out with this as well but i dont have a smart phone...

Well my thought was the people helping would probably be in front of a computer with a full sized screen. The smart phone would only be needed by the person stranded, to send the e-mail.

oderdene
02-17-2011, 05:43 AM
it is great idea,

I live +8 time zone and mostly online. If one of us had a problem evening/night, here will be morning/noon and of course I can't drive there for help, but I am ready to dig net for best answer and send e-mail back.

steph74
02-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I think this is an awesome idea Tony

I am a little worried about the abuses though.... like you say in your post.....
(don't call me though I WILL NOT be able to help lol)

Mudderoy
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I think this is an awesome idea Tony

I am a little worried about the abuses though.... like you say in your post.....
(don't call me though I WILL NOT be able to help lol)

This is a lot like the help desk we used to have at a former company. We let the users set their priority levels. Guess what, they were all priority 1!!!! So we would just tell them what a priority 1 was. I think the same thing will happen here. We'll just have to explain to people what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable. Certainly anyone that signs up to help will need to understand the risk and possible frustration from people abusing the service.

cantab27
02-17-2011, 10:44 AM
any abushing ,,get em to call me ,,,,, will put them through to a call centre in India...

chuck2000xj
02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I think this is a great idea as well.....although I'm still learning quite a bit and def wouldnt be the first person to call, I wouldn't mind helping. I used to spend a lot of time on other forums, until I found xjtalk. There is personality here. You get to know the members. I spend most of my time on here and am loving it. Thanks everyone.

bluedragon436
02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
I think this would be a great idea... I mean I even got the guys phone numbers that I would be nearest on my way driving down to SC, just in case... not so much for them to come get me, or anything like that, because I don't want to put anyone out... but at least since it is their area, they might know of a good tow company over a not so good one... I love my XJ too much, to want it to come to harm @ the hands of some douche dumb **** tow guy...

Mudderoy
02-17-2011, 11:01 AM
There is a guy that I've been listening to to learn more about podcasting, and he keeps pushing the community angle. Be a part of the community, it's sounds huggy feely to me. But the more I think about what we are doing here the more I think that's what we are doing, more by accident than design. I just wanted a place where people would feel comfortable asking questions and not fear being flamed by some semi knowledgeable a$$hole.

I'm not really a overly friendly guy, so I'm thinking this feeling of "community" that we are getting here is due to the members. People like rguignard that started the whole "what's your first name?" stuff. Now we incorporate that into the site.

bigjim350
02-17-2011, 12:14 PM
I also think it is a great idea. And I would be very happy to help anytime I could. Warning: After 10pm or anytime on the weekend, my answers may not make sense.

prerunner1982
02-17-2011, 12:28 PM
The Chevy truck forum I am on has a similar service. Though I am not a master tech or really all that knowledgeable I was willing to bring them tools or get them to/from a parts store etc. Nothing sucks worse than traveling through an unfamiliar town and your vehicle breaks down. You are lucky if you break down near a parts store...

Punisher
02-20-2011, 06:49 AM
I also think it is a great idea. And I would be very happy to help anytime I could. Warning: After 10pm or anytime on the weekend, my answers may not make sense.

I've got to call then at that after hours and see what kind of answers I get...:smiley-laughing021:

But anyways, Yeah I think it's a GREAT Idea and I'd love to help out but i dont have a smart phone either but in the near future I'll have my laptop installed in the XJ with wifi hookup but my cell phone is on 24/7 as well if anyone likes to call....

Outlaw
02-20-2011, 08:52 AM
As long as I'm not at work I am always willing to help. Sign me up!

toebee97
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
any abushing ,,get em to call me ,,,,, will put them through to a call centre in India...
You don't have to call NZ to get ahold of a call center in India lol, just call any call center in the US, they all redirect there :smiley-laughing021:

I like the idea, would definitely be interested in trying it if I were in a pinch. I'm sure the details can be fine tuned as the idea progresses and gets utilized a bit.

Mudderoy
03-04-2011, 03:26 PM
xjtalk-help at xjtalk.com is up!

More information to follow...

Mudderoy
03-04-2011, 03:40 PM
You may now join the e-mail list.

Remember this is to be used by people needed help, or helping.

Help IS NOT a tow, recovery, gas, money etc... It IS a sympathetic ear. The responder might give you advice, but xjtalk, nor the person is responsible for what you decide to do. This really is just a way to tell someone what is going on with your Jeep and get some advice.

IF YOU CAN USE A PC AND POST THE QUESTION THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE USING THIS SERVICE.

This is only for people that are stuck away from their home not something you do while you're having a beer and working on your Jeep in the driveway. :shocker: :rotfl2:

To join the list simply send an e-mail to xjtalk-help-join at xjtalk.com

Make sure you do this from your phone if you plan on using it to request a call, or a reply back via e-mail.

If you have any questions how this is supposed to work, ask for clarification PRIOR to signing up please.

DETOURS
03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm in............but who else is in NE Kentucky? All I hear is banjos........:rolleyes:

Mikentucky72
03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I was at a parts store last week and pulled up to an xj sport just like mine. Inside the store was a mother of three asking the 17 year old behind counter for fuses and their location in the inside panel. The kid told her to buy a service manual! I interjected and used my smartphone to pull up a link that Bigjim350 sent me. I used it to find her signal fuses for her. I was so proud of my phone, but then realized it was this site that did the trick. In sumation, a little knowledge and the oppurtunity to access that knowledge is a wonderful thing. I say man the phones!:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-07-2011, 11:32 PM
I was at a parts store last week and pulled up to an xj sport just like mine. Inside the store was a mother of three asking the 17 year old behind counter for fuses and their location in the inside panel. The kid told her to buy a service manual! I interjected and used my smartphone to pull up a link that Bigjim350 sent me. I used it to find her signal fuses for her. I was so proud of my phone, but then realized it was this site that did the trick. In sumation, a little knowledge and the oppurtunity to access that knowledge is a wonderful thing. I say man the phones!:thumbsup:

Great story, and thank you for taking the time to help someone in need. You know that would be a wonderful thing to have as a xjtalk.com promo called into the voicemail number! {hint} {hint} :rotfl2: Even if you don't want to enter the contest.

xj4life2
03-09-2011, 11:38 AM
8am to 6pm PST I'm here and ready to help, We have All Data on line and a few hundred ref manuals. So if i'm here if needed, use the 800 number that will save some cash I'll do what I can.
Mark

teamwestoutdoors
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm about half-way between Salt lake City and Moab and would be more then glad to help anyone out on the San Rafael Swell area. Any chance I have to take a ride out there is one I will take :thumbsup:

easttxhunter
03-18-2011, 11:18 PM
i probably live the closest to creekside out of all the members. If anyone ever needs help just call. 281-667-7858