PDA

View Full Version : Empty an AC system

BrianXJ
02-16-2011, 04:40 AM
What does one need to complete this task without breaking any laws? I have an 87 XJ and I would like to do away with the ac lines to build OBA. What do I need to legally empty my system?

msmoorenburg
02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
quick answer take it to a shop and ask them to suck it out. There is no easy way to do it without a recovery machine,or a tank and a vaccum pump. :shocker: drag it to Texas I have the system to do it. If the system is not cooling just yank the lines its already leaked out.

BrianXJ
02-16-2011, 09:08 AM
ok no cooling except 4 and 55.

4.3LXJ
02-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Brian, just depress one of the schrader valves, they look like a tire valve. If little or nothing comes out, then you can crack the hoses. Legally this is a deminimus release. If they have any pressure in them then you will have to take it to a shop to be evacuated.

PolarXJ
02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
On my old system, I didn't use it much, but it did work. When I swapped my engine, I went to release the old system (New style refrigerant), and it seemed like nothing came out. No noise or smell.

4.3LXJ
02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
It is really pretty much odorless. Although if you huff too much it will get you high for a few minutes. I'm not much of a druggie so it only makes me dizzy. The only odor really is that of oil resolved in the refrigerant.