PDA

View Full Version : change rear leafs in 6 hours?

Switch_knuckles
02-15-2011, 09:16 AM
I have about 6 hours to change my rear leaf springs. I am planning on using all new bolts. This is my first time changing them out. I am using hand tools no impacts. Can it be done? Your thoughts please.

4.3LXJ
02-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Plenty of time if you have good car stands and a floor jack and no major rust issues. I could do it in two hours easy with hand tools, but I have done it a lot.

steph74
02-15-2011, 09:20 AM
if you don;t run into problems (rusted bolt, broken bolt.....) I believe it can be done.... I have done mine in 1 day but I am slow and don;t have air tools.....

rguignard
02-15-2011, 09:20 AM
yes well maybe ? cut the u bolts with a sawsall and hope the spring hanger bolts come out without braking the nuts loose

Mudderoy
02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Murphy's law states that if you have a deadline the job will require at least 1 hour longer than said deadline.

Switch_knuckles
02-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reminder, but that is really not what I needed to hear!!

Switch_knuckles
02-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah and one more thing, the spring hanger bolts, can I get those at autoparts store or should I go to hardware store. And if so what size. Again Thanks alot guys!!!!

Mudderoy
02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the reminder, but that is really not what I needed to hear!!

lol I can't let you go into something blindly. You'd never forgive me!

steph74
02-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I got mine at O'reilly.... they were on sale I got them for $5 a pair.... they were way too long so I had to cut them a bit
As for the size ????? can't remember

Yeah you have to expect the unexpected just so that you are not disappointed.....
Hopefully you have sprayed your bolts and stuff with PB blaster regularly for a couple of days before that will help (didn't say that it will make it smoothless though)

LizardRunner
02-15-2011, 10:39 AM
You will need to measure for the correct size, diameter of the axle tube. PB Blaster will help a lot with breaking the nuts loose, torch heat is also good for doing that if you heat only the nut. If your going to use heat, don't use pbblaster first, it will burn. A breaker bar will be handy to have. The stands and floor jack are absolutely necessary. I'd say 3 hrs for both sides is easy to accomplish. that leaves you two hours for the Murphy's law factor. :thumbsup:

Get the new parts from an auto parts store, that way you have the best chance at getting at least grade five U bolts. You sure don't want to put inferior bolts on those springs that just invites a disaster.

PolarXJ
02-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah it can be done, the night before and just before you start, spray all the nuts down with a penetrating oil. I like Kroil but its not at your autoparts store.

Switch_knuckles
02-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Murphy's law states that if you have a deadline the job will require at least 1 hour longer than said deadline.

Damn Murphy!!! Didn't make it. I am actually goin to have to finish it up tomorrow. Everything was good. Till we got to the front hangers. One won't break loose and the other in loose but wont come out of the spring. I soaked it with PB. I am thinking about drilling a hole in the back of the frame rail to try and tap the bolt out thru the spring. Any ideas from the xj gods here at xjTalk? Any will be greatly appreciated!!!

rguignard
02-15-2011, 07:49 PM
cut the bolt with a sawall on the inside of the hanger then the spring should come out

bigjim350
02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Damn Murphy!!! Didn't make it. I am actually goin to have to finish it up tomorrow. Everything was good. Till we got to the front hangers. One won't break loose and the other in loose but wont come out of the spring. I soaked it with PB. I am thinking about drilling a hole in the back of the frame rail to try and tap the bolt out thru the spring. Any ideas from the xj gods here at xjTalk? Any will be greatly appreciated!!!

If the bolt is loosened all the way out of the nut, but just wont come out of the spring, use a sawzall and cut the bolt off. Just cut between the leaf and the hanger. That is if your using new bolts. I wouldnt drill a hole in the frame, you risk a chance of hitting the threads of the nut

Switch_knuckles
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
2 1/2 days but the rear leaf springs are on. All went well except the passenger side front hanger. Weld broke on the inside. SO I had to cut off the little hump piece and take the nut out. Then ran a bolt all the way through the frame rail. It is not pretty but it will hold until I can take it to the shop and have it welded. I will post pics in my build thread later on tonight. Thanks for all the help folks!! Last thoughts..... I sure as hell don't want to do that again any time soon. Suspension :smiley-stargate014: