PDA

View Full Version : Rear cargo mess....

steph74
02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
This week end it was pretty outside so I decided to inquire why my rear cargo area is always wet....
ERROR........
I started lifting the carpet and noticed that the undermat was soaked.... I lifted in at the other end (under the bench seat)... and discovered a mess of rust, water, and mud (and a couple of quarters but that didn;t really make my day)

So I pulled the whole rear carpet and Yuck.... rusty spots, rusty mess, mudd, ...

I started cleaning the crap, then brush wired it to remove as mnuch rust as I could... so far it looks like surface only....

Dried everything, and because I know me it will take 200 years before I do something about the carpet, I had a can of rustoleum heavily rusted metal primer, I sprayed the whole thing hoping that it will give me some relief.

So now I am thinking: what are my CHEAP options.

I think I can reuse the carpet, but the under mat is shot. can I use any kind of mat ? I have some leftover from a wood flooring/carpeting project at home (the kind with the vapor barrier) or is it a special type of mat ?

Some people I have read, use some bedliner... I am not wheeling mud, and the jeep is 21 yo so is it really worth the cost ? I guess a gal of herculiner should do this and I should have enough to do the fenders as planned....

What are your thoughts ? Experiences ? Advices ?

LizardRunner
02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
That underlayment with the vapor barrier will work as new underlay for your carpet. The underlay they used at the factor is typically the same stuff but without the vapor barrier. The rustoleum you used should also give you more years of life without having to re floor pan. IF you really wanted to make sure nothing rusted, you could also use the liner but I think you'll be fine with your plan of attack.

4.3LXJ
02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
One question I would ask is where the mud and water came in. Taking care of that would be the first step.

steph74
02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
and that is the question I have tried to answer all week end lol....
I see no hole, no drips from the roof.

My guess is the door gaskets are so rotten that it is coming from there.... second guess is the previous owner took it mudding and never cleaned that part... (The mud was in the part under the bench seat where the factory jack is)

but you're right, no need to make it look clean if the source of the water is not fixed....