PDA

View Full Version : new winch

jharrison13
02-13-2011, 10:05 PM
i am probably sure this has done over and over again, but here it goes again, i am wanting a winch for my 98 xj i am not a fulltime offroader but i would like to have one just in case i need it, i am on a budget for the winch since my wife has already yelled at how much i have ordered since i got my jeep last thusday, lol but what does she expect i have a new toy i have to build it the way i want, i will add pics soon. i just want something that will pull me out if i am out with the family by my self and need the help, when i usually go out i am in the cj and have yet to get it stuck yet cross my fingers but i got this one so i can take the family with me, so something that wil just pull me out not to big but not small, and i dont want to spend a fortune on, all the help would be great.

4.3LXJ
02-13-2011, 10:10 PM
If you are on a real tight budget Payless 4X4 has Smittybuilt winches for about $300/ A Detours backbone will probably be the cheapest mount. Both are vendors on here.

bigjim350
02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah Payless 4x4 sells the Smittybuilt & and the new Rough Country winches. I havent seen how the new rough country winches preform yet but they have a great price and warranty. I have seen the smittybuilt winches used, a lot. I have seen a smittybuilt pull people out all day long before and never have a problem. Rene has one on his Jeep and it gets used all the time when we go offroad. Both winches run about $300.

jharrison13
02-13-2011, 10:24 PM
what is the pulling power of them, i am not a super tight budget but when you are wanting to get a winch, front and rear bumpers, lift , tires, SYE. all at the same time the wifey gets upset, u know what i mean. i already tinted the windows, vent visors, speakers, headunit, and then i bought the jeep also last week, so you know. i got a great deal on the jeep so , what is a 98 xj SE with 160,000 on it very clean inside and out runs great with only a leak on the valve cover and oil filter adapter, other then that it is extremely well maintained. just checking what you guys think it is worth? it is all stock no mods yet!

bigjim350
02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
what is the pulling power of them, i am not a super tight budget but when you are wanting to get a winch, front and rear bumpers, lift , tires, SYE. all at the same time the wifey gets upset, u know what i mean. i already tinted the windows, vent visors, speakers, headunit, and then i bought the jeep also last week, so you know. i got a great deal on the jeep so , what is a 98 xj SE with 160,000 on it very clean inside and out runs great with only a leak on the valve cover and oil filter adapter, other then that it is extremely well maintained. just checking what you guys think it is worth? it is all stock no mods yet!

The Smittybilt winch is rated at 8,000 pounds and the Rough Country winch is rated at 9500 pounds. And as far as what your Jeep would be worth, it is very dependant on where you live. A Jeep in that shape could be found here for between $2k and $3k.

jharrison13
02-13-2011, 10:38 PM
i live here in the salt ridden roads of illiinois, i got it for 3 so i was on the right price then, i looked at about 6 of them and this was the only one without rust.
keep the suggestions coming, thanks

rguignard
02-14-2011, 09:02 AM
i would go with the smitty only because thats what i have and use all the time. also upgrade the battery i have a optima red top in my jeep

Mudderoy
02-14-2011, 09:39 AM
i would go with the smitty only because thats what i have and use all the time. also upgrade the battery i have a optima red top in my jeep

Rene is an excellent advertisement for the smitty built. He's beat the hell out of his. Frankly you can buy two and carry a spare for the same money I spent on my Superwinch.

LizardRunner
02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
boy this really helps me with that decision, I had been fretting over just how much I'd have to spend to get a decient one.

rguignard
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
boy this really helps me with that decision, I had been fretting over just how much I'd have to spend to get a decient one.

i cant tell you how many times i have used mine but its a LOT :thumbsup: i dont know if i would hang my jeep from it but so far so good i would buy another one in a min :D

OverEasy
02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
You can have my vote as well for the SmittyBuilt winch. Previous boss put one on his Samurai and loves it. Hes used it quite a few times on the trails and around his house. He's had it for about a year and a half or a little longer I think... Not a single problem 1.

4.3LXJ
02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
i live here in the salt ridden roads of illiinois, i got it for 3 so i was on the right price then, i looked at about 6 of them and this was the only one without rust.
keep the suggestions coming, thanks

If that is the case, one "mod" I would suggest doing is pulling every bolt and nut and putting anti seize compound on it. Sounds like a lot of work with no glory to show for it, but in the end you will be glad you did when you go to work on it. And it won't cost more than a few dollars and save you time and money later.

xj4life2
02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Ok here's my 2 cents , I have , run and own a Smittybuilt Bought it prior to us becomming a dealer for them and I love it. We have sold over 500 of these and have had 4 issues, all of them human induced. Smitty has a lifetime warrenty and currently the xj talk price is $279.00 plus freight to your door

Mudderoy
02-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Ok here's my 2 cents , I have , run and own a Smittybuilt Bought it prior to us becomming a dealer for them and I love it. We have sold over 500 of these and have had 4 issues, all of them human induced. Smitty has a lifetime warrenty and currently the xj talk price is $279.00 plus freight to your door

Oh that's great feedback. I wasn't saying it but in my head I was thinking that Rene had good luck with his, but what about 499 other people! You know some people are just lucky as in beating the hell out of a DANA 35 with 33's on it. :rotfl2:

OverEasy
02-14-2011, 11:36 AM
ok here's my 2 cents , i have , run and own a smittybuilt bought it prior to us becomming a dealer for them and i love it. We have sold over 500 of these and have had 4 issues, all of them human induced. Smitty has a lifetime warrenty and currently the xj talk price is $279.00 plus freight to your door

WOW. . . . Thats a low price!

rguignard
02-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh that's great feedback. I wasn't saying it but in my head I was thinking that Rene had good luck with his, but what about 499 other people! You know some people are just lucky as in beating the hell out of a DANA 35 with 33's on it. :rotfl2:

you forgot welded :eek:

jharrison13
02-14-2011, 11:01 PM
thanks guys, i think i will go with the smitty, it sounds like for the money and the amount i will use it, thanks