PDA

View Full Version : Which Super Swamper?

Metlic53
02-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm going to be getting new tires soon, i'll be gettin 33x12.50r15. i'll be doing road driving and weekend warrior. which super swamper tires should i get? LTB? Radial? IROK? TSL? TRXUX? thanks for the input

XJ4IV
02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Ive been a interco NUT for a few years so heres MY input
The tsl's have been discontinued until the summer and there is a year long waiting list for those sooooo you might wanna toss those out, it sucks cause thats what I wanted to do for mine.
LTB are good tires but theyonly make em in wierd sizes like 31x12.5 or 33x10.5

Iroks are BAD A$$ tires for offroad but SUCK bad for street use... or I guess I should say longevity most folks only get a single year out of em!

the TRXUS I really dont have any input for cause they arent my cup of tea so that is on your time for research.
then theres the radial ssr, these are a great choice IMO if your looking for longevity and offroad use, here is a pic
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS68vteCMlPI_xdxgbEBG_tzcmGoqq8d gbkamm0Qgi_rVsSRQjBhw
the only drawback I personally had with these is that they werent aggressive enough for the rocks but thats not your forte so these might be a good deal for you! Ive seen a few guys running these and they LOVE em, the guy at creekside when I met you that had the JK that got stuck in the mud hole was running those! the military one that said shrapnel on it

bigjim350
02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
I have a buddy that runs the Trxus MT tires. He loves them, they wear great, and are pretty decent on the road.

bluedragon436
02-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Hey I just have to ask why you are only looking at the SS brand tires?? Not saying there is anything wrong with them... was just wondering why that is your chosen preference??

XJ Rat
02-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I have TSL Radial on my XJ. These tires rock for off road use.

On road use get anything but a TSL or TSL Radial. These tires are lousy on dry streets, downright dangerous for wet streets, and will only last about 20K miles on the street. My XJ is not a daily driver, so it is OK.

Once you hit about 40, get used to turning your stereo way up. That or get ear plugs. Get on the highway and people do not drive next to you. Tires are that loud.

Really, you can tolerate these for the street. Just remember, your driving a Jeep with off road tires. But there is nothing you can do to make them last.

I hear the TRXUS is a good multi-use tire. No experience with it though.

4.3LXJ
02-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm going to be getting new tires soon, i'll be gettin 33x12.50r15. i'll be doing road driving and weekend warrior. which super swamper tires should i get? LTB? Radial? IROK? TSL? TRXUX? thanks for the input

You listed an R in your size, which means radial. If you are looking for a mud tire, there are really only two. The IROK radial and the SSR. The SSR is much more street friendly and will do well in mud.

rguignard
02-13-2011, 07:24 PM
well you know im running tsls they ba off road but SUCK on road

cherokeewrecker
02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm running the LTB's on mine, there great offroad but they wear down quick on pavement because they are bias, and not radials, plus they are loud as hell. If your looking for something thats gonna last a while I'd stick with radials if you can find something you like.

XJ4IV
02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
ive run tsl's RADIALS on the street for a few years now and really the only drawback I see is that yes they are loud but I dont care... the whole dang jeep is loud and yeah they do wear out kinda fast but not as fast as iroks or LTB's Ive gotten about 30k on the TSL's with PERFECT alignment and that is the key... I found out REALLY fast that you can wear a tire down over a matter of 200 miles if the alignement is off just a bit... not even enough to give you DW!

Metlic53
02-14-2011, 12:19 AM
well i've ran the tsl radials before in 31's and they weren't really that loud, besides i don't do alot of highway driving, and if i do i'll switch my street tires over. im kinda getting these to put on when i offroad but i may leave them on for awhile. If i can get 30k out of one of these swampers that'll be fine i think. i really like the iroks, the ssr is ok but i want more aggressive now that i look at it. I'm kinda between the iroks and tsl's radial. hmmm, or maybe if someone knows of alot cheaper mud terrain i'll go with it. ive been looking for used mudders on craigslist but have no luckk...

Metlic53
02-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Hey I just have to ask why you are only looking at the SS brand tires?? Not saying there is anything wrong with them... was just wondering why that is your chosen preference??

because i have 2 jeep cherokees and one is just a mud toy :D

OverEasy
02-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Radial and Bias is like comparing apples to oranges. Of course the IROK is going to be much more aggressive than the TSL radial. The IROK is a all purpose tire. The TSL radial gives the option of a true mud lug pattern in a radial tire. You said you're going to be swapping them out, why not go for the IROK then? (IROK has a Radial and a Bias option.) They even make the IROK in a Non Directional pattern now. I will say I've never ran a IROK tire but the friends that have say they HATE them in mud.

If you are wanting a radial, man there are sooo many options out there for those that are BA and hold there own. BFGoods, Maxxis, GoodYear, Dunlop, Yokohama, Firestone, Bridgestone, Cooper, MickeyThompson, Kelly, Nitto. . . . .

Even though I've got friends that have ran several other tires than me, I can only speak on tires I've ran. I've ran SuperSwampers in 42s all the way down to 29s.
I've had . . .
1 set of Boggers (35s) - Will never be a road tire. LOL! But if you want a BA tire... Look no further. IMO.
5 sets of TSLs (42s, 39.5s, 33s twice, 29s) - Did great for me in all conditions on and off raod. A tried and true tire. Unchanged for years.
2 sets of LTBs (31s and 34s) - Out of all the ones I've ran I like these the best. I like the road manners, and will never complain about anything off road with them. To me, these are the best bang for your buck off road tires.

Take for granted that none of them except for a few were only dd when I got bored driving the dd. I will never complain about road noise from a off road tire because I'll take the performance any day. As far as them lasting... They all (except the Bogger) lasted a decent amounts of time. I've gotten more than a year and a half out of all of them (except them damn boggers...lol) with some street time.

LOL! Tires are a big investment. With good maintenance I see any of the ones you have listed making you happy.

4.3LXJ
02-14-2011, 12:04 PM
There is an article in the latest Four Wheeler on mud tire comparisons. They don't have it on line yet, but will soon probably. The results were surprising.

Metlic53
02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
There is an article in the latest Four Wheeler on mud tire comparisons. They don't have it on line yet, but will soon probably. The results were surprising.

what do you mean by surprising?

Metlic53
02-15-2011, 11:18 AM
the parnelli jones dirt grip tires kind of caught my eye. really expensive though

4.3LXJ
02-15-2011, 05:50 PM
what do you mean by surprising?

The tested ten 37" mud tires on a JK Rubicon. Here are how they are ranked

1. Hankook Dynapro MT
2. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
3. Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
4. Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
5. Yokohama Golander M/T
6. Pit Bull rocker LT Radial
7. Interco Super Swamper TrXus
8. BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
9. Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain
10. Maxxis M8060 Trepador

All tires were assessed for manufacturing anomalies, footprint, number of biting edges, rubber compound hardness, road manners and performance on the Top Truck Challenge obstacle course.

bluedragon436
02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Hey mine may have been ranked #9... but at least they weren't dead last... and so far I haven't had any issues with them...

4.3LXJ
02-15-2011, 06:32 PM
The ones I want are ranked #8. I might have to change my mind on this.

rguignard
02-15-2011, 06:38 PM
wow i wish they would have tested the tsl's

4.3LXJ
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
wow i wish they would have tested the tsl's

They would have done well on the mud course and failed the highway test. They just don't do well on the highway. I have had a set, gave them to my son who will put them on the Mighty Mite (Project HUM WEE) when we come up with some wheels. They just don't hold up on pavement, nor are they a particularly safe tire. AND LOUD

rguignard
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
so true to all the above lol im running them now because im to lazy to change them out for my street tires

bluedragon436
02-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Well the next set of tires I get, will either be another set of Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains, BFG MT KM2's, or the Good Year Wrangler MT/R... the MT/R are low on my list, due to their high cost... so it will most likely be between the Pro Comps (which as of right now I am very pleased with).. or the KM2's..

4.3LXJ
02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
I was thinking of the BFGs to. Good highway manners and good looking tread. But the article said they don't clean well at slow speeds, so they down rated them. Of course, I always subscribe to a little wheel speed in the goo

XJ4IV
02-16-2011, 12:24 AM
thats NUTS... the DYNAPRO... a PEP BOYS tire is better than the maxxis trepador. Do we have a story on that comparison?

cantab27
02-16-2011, 12:42 AM
kl71s ..........they spit mud ,, aren't to loud on the black top ,,, and if ya look at my avatar they help the rear of ya xj float for a bit .......

4.3LXJ
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
thats NUTS... the DYNAPRO... a PEP BOYS tire is better than the maxxis trepador. Do we have a story on that comparison?

Just the story in the latest Four Wheeler

muddeprived
02-16-2011, 10:18 PM
If you are looking for a Interco tire that's street friendly but agressive enough for off road, get the Trxus Mud Terrains. I had a few sets of them. Aside from the balancing issues (what's new), they rode very quiet and smooth on the road and performed great off road and excellent in the snow (siped). If you are looking for a pure off road tire, go LTB's. The lugs are HUGE and they dig like shovels. They also toss 3" chunks of mud that go "thump" a couple seconds after you stop. It's quite entertaining....lol.

The early AM commutes are horrible though.....

rguignard
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
If you are looking for a Interco tire that's street friendly but agressive enough for off road, get the Trxus Mud Terrains. I had a few sets of them. Aside from the balancing issues (what's new), they rode very quiet and smooth on the road and performed great off road and excellent in the snow (siped). If you are looking for a pure off road tire, go LTB's. The lugs are HUGE and they dig like shovels. They also toss 3" chunks of mud that go "thump" a couple seconds after you stop. It's quite entertaining....lol.

The early AM commutes are horrible though.....

what he said :smiley-laughing021:

Metlic53
02-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I think i'm going to get kl71 MT's for my white one and i haven't decided what to put on the ole 90 yet. I will be buying two new sets of tires for both jeeps at the same time. (wear on both sets are the same right now-almost bald) I think they will last me till the end of summer (unless i find a craigslist deal). Both jeeps will be driven on the road the same. I'm trying to muster up enough money to buy 4 wheels and 4 interco LTB's and use the ltb's only when i go offroading. so 12 tires in total = $$$
anyone wanna donate some cash??? or tires?? :D

4.3LXJ
02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
. I'm trying to muster up enough money to buy 4 wheels and 4 interco LTB's and use the ltb's only when i go offroading. so 12 tires in total = $$$
anyone wanna donate some cash??? or tires?? :D

I have done the same thing, two sets of tires. One for street, one for off road. There have been times I had a third set for the sand too.

easttxhunter
02-17-2011, 11:47 AM
I would have to say after last weekend at creekside I am very pleased with the tsl's. I don't drive mine on the street so no worries there.

JRW7072009
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM

1. Hankook Dynapro MT
5. Yokohama Golander M/T

All tires were assessed for manufacturing anomalies, footprint, number of biting edges, rubber compound hardness, road manners and performance on the Top Truck Challenge obstacle course.

I hate to say it but I think this whole list is garbage. The MTR and and KM2 are flying off the selves at most tire shops, the Maxxis is a great tire just not for street use. And to put Hankook on the top I think that Les Schwab is paying someone to get it there.

Just my 2 cents:D

muddeprived
02-17-2011, 10:19 PM
I hate to say it but I think this whole list is garbage. The MTR and and KM2 are flying off the selves at most tire shops, the Maxxis is a great tire just not for street use. And to put Hankook on the top I think that Les Schwab is paying someone to get it there.

I actually think the hankook dynapros are actually pretty good. When I was at the outback adventure last summer, the guy in front of me had those tires. They did not flinch at all and it was very muddy out. My retread (guard dog mt's) were slipping a bit here and there but that guy in front of me made everything look easy. He didn't have any lockers either (I had a rear locker). I was impressed. Then I received the magazine in the mail last week and saw that they were rated #1 and wasn't surprised. I can see BFG and Goodyear selling way better than Hankook because of the name is quite popular.

I just might give these dynapros a chance if these retreads ever decide to start wearing down lol.

4.3LXJ
02-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Joey. Read that article if you can. I read it several times, and one thing that I noticed is they were crawling in the mud. Much of the results were based on having to shift up to 2nd gear and rev it a little. That rig had a 4:1 tcase, so that is not a fast wheel spin. I don't know about you, but I prefer a little wheel speed in the gooey stuff.

Moore825
02-17-2011, 10:25 PM

I thought the exact same thing when I read that article. I mean I'm sure the hankook is a decent tire and all. But to "beat" all of the others? Not believing it.

cantab27
02-17-2011, 10:39 PM
aussie 4wd mag tested 14 sets of muddies , tested in on ,,the road , rocks ,mud, clay sand ....there out come bf goodrich km2...last years test but ,,,hankook came in at 8..
will see if i can find link to write up ,,, 3 differnt sizes 31s, 33s and 35s ...

JRW7072009
02-17-2011, 10:46 PM
I thought the exact same thing when I read that article. I mean I'm sure the hankook is a decent tire and all. But to "beat" all of the others? Not believing it.

I agree completely I am not saying that Hankooks are bad just not number one.

The list of tires are kinda a list of different kinds and types of tires.

You cant really put some of those tires like Pitbull TrXus and the Maxxis against the others IMO.

What mag is this? I need to read it.

Moore825
02-17-2011, 10:58 PM

You cant really put some of those tires like Pitbull TrXus and the Maxxis against the others IMO.

Latest issue of Four Wheeler

JRW7072009
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Latest issue of Four Wheeler

Thanks, guess that explains why I did not renew my subscription.

Moore825
02-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't plan on renewing mine. Haven't been too impressed.

cantab27
02-17-2011, 11:19 PM
http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showcat.php?cat=3

OverEasy
02-18-2011, 07:39 AM
I don't really go by all those tests anyway. Way to many variables can throw that test off. I think it just makes as a good magazine filler when they don't have anything else to talk about. Or it gives them time to think of something else. Those tires may perform different in you're area as the test area. Weight of vehicle and driving style differs. I read it but pay it no mind.

I know when my LTBs wear and I need a new set I'm going to try the 35x12.50x15 PitBull Rocker Radials out. It will be the first radial I will have had in a long time. That tire has a awesome review, but not by that test. They tested a mainly rock "Rocker" tire in a mud test. :thumbdown:

I'll be sure to give it a assortment of tests myself, as I do with all my tires and see how it does.

4.3LXJ
02-18-2011, 10:08 AM

Latest Four Wheeler Joey

JRW7072009
02-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Latest Four Wheeler Joey

Thank you.

Well I guess that is why we are all entitled to our own opinion.

I agree OverEasy the Pitbulls are sweet. I seen them in action at King of the Hammers last week and they did well.

nismo5
02-28-2011, 10:33 AM

1. Hankook Dynapro MT
5. Yokohama Golander M/T

i have the dynapro mt's on my dd 4x4 nissan frontier and they seem like a good tire they have worn perfect and ive got 25k out of them and still have some life left in em the funny part is the ones on my dd came in first and the ones on my rig came in 7th :smiley-laughing021: