PDA

View Full Version : Removing the AC

Geo Fry
02-12-2011, 01:30 PM
My AC in my 96 hasn't worked since I got it. My last XJ didn't have a working AC, and my other previous two cars had ACs that quit on me. Needless to say, I'm very used to not having AC. I have no plans on getting mine to work so I want to just take it out.

So, other than the obviousness of just pulling parts out, what do I need to keep in mind? Do I have to drain the lines properly? Will anything explode? I know some stuff about the rest of my XJ but have no clue about anything air conditioned. Also, is there some type of idler pulley that I can put in place of the AC? Any help is appreciated.

Kyle

4.3LXJ
02-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes, you will need an idler pulley. I believe they are available at NAPA. I think you have the R410A which can just be vented into the atmosphere. You probably don't have much in it anyway or it would probably be working. Just crack open one of the large lines a little. You may have some oil come out so keep a rag handy. The other thing you can do is keep the compressor there and make on board air out of it since you aren't going to be using the AC

Geo Fry
02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Yea I've never really thought about how useful it would be, until now I guess lol. Here's a decent write up I found
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c-oba-conversion-write-up-pics-471962/
How much $$ are we talking for a setup like this. I just need a ballpark figure 100? 700?

XJ4IV
02-12-2011, 05:32 PM
The most expensive part is to obtain the compressor! I was just about to jump your butt about getting rid of it all together!!! I have seen the A/C OBA setup work AWESOME enough to run air tools! the main thing you need to buy is a tank and then from there all you need is a few hoses and some fittings! basically aside from a tank im saying under $50
Use harbor freight! and as far as a tank... make a large capacity one to give you better results!... Im not sure what most guys use or how much room you wanna save in your cargo area but you can do a 5 inch deep and fill up your cargo area with the tank... itll weigh a good amount but still better than anything else!!!
This is what Id do if I didnt have such a MAJOR crush on my air conditioning Id have already done this!

4.3LXJ
02-12-2011, 06:09 PM
The tank pictured in that link is the same as what I have and they are about $80. The little blue manifold, pressure relief valve, check valve and pressure switch are available for a good price here from Payless 4X4, one of our vendors. My own system is running at 15# pressure and capable with the high rev set up I have to cycle while filling tires. I can fill 4 tires from flat in less than four minutes and the compressor cycles when doing so. These things have lots of potential.

Geo Fry
02-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Wow I didn't realize the potential of using the AC compressor. And I have to say, from looking at a few write ups, it seems easy. I'm convinced. XJ4IV air conditioning is over-rated :rotfl2:

Thanks for the help guys

XJ4IV
02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
lol A/C is about the only reason I havent built a buggy LOL if I want the wife to join me I gotta have certain things.... ALSO if I wanna wheel longer in the summer... I need the AC!
I went to Brazos last june and it was so hot even the marines were whining about it LMAO

msmoorenburg
02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
If it was me i'd fix it ,but i have all the tools to do so :thumbsup:

rguignard
02-14-2011, 08:57 AM
If it was me i'd fix it ,but i have all the tools to do so :thumbsup:

well then fix mine :rolleyes:

msmoorenburg
02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
well then fix mine :rolleyes:

:rotfl2: lets start pulling the dash :pee:

BrianXJ
02-16-2011, 04:35 AM
:rotfl2: lets start pulling the dash :pee:

Are you going to whiz on his dash???

msmoorenburg
02-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Are you going to whiz on his dash???

that may motivate Rene to yank it hahahaha (mud + pee smell)

BrianXJ
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
lol