PDA

View Full Version : Axle Vents.... breather

steph74
02-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Well I had the horrible gear oil smell coming up somewhere in the front...
My guess is the axle.... so looking for the breather vent on the diff..... well i can;t find it, I can;t find a hole, a tube or a fitting.....
I guess that I have to fix that quick so WHERE IS IT ?

I am looking for pics online but can;t find a good one so if you have an idea.... feel free to bring them in....

I take pictures too ;)
I have a dana 30 witht he axle disconnect;)

bigjim350
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Mine is a non-disconnect D30, but they should be in the same place. The first pic is where it is on the axle, the second is where it comes to on the firewall.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/bigjim350/100_0461.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/bigjim350/100_0462.jpg

steph74
02-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Cooool
Yeah I see a hole on that location it is caked with mud..... I guess I have to change the oil to clean it :(

Mudderoy
02-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Check your transfer case carefully.

steph74
02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
what do you mean ? what is the relation?

Mudderoy
02-12-2011, 11:22 AM
what do you mean ? what is the relation?

I think it's more likely the smell would come from a cracked transfer case that it would an axle. The drive chain can also wear through the transfer case...

Maybe I mis-read but I thought you were assuming the smell came from the front, and the stuff in the transfer case doesn't smell very good either.

bigjim350
02-12-2011, 11:25 AM
I think it's more likely the smell would come from a cracked transfer case that it would an axle. The drive chain can also wear through the transfer case...

Maybe I mis-read but I thought you were assuming the smell came from the front, and the stuff in the transfer case doesn't smell very good either.

Well if the T-case has the right fluid in it (ATF), it would have a far different smell than the Diff (Gear Lube).

Mudderoy
02-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Well if the T-case has the right fluid in it (ATF), it would have a far different smell than the Diff (Gear Lube).

Steph says he is new to all of this so taking that into account... I'm just telling him to check it.

cantab27
02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
yep diff oil has got its own unique smell.....nothing like it in the mornings ...

steph74
02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
It's all good, I check everything..... ATF for the transfer case. I do have a small leak on the front output and it sure spray things around ..... nothing bad so i keep pushing it.

The smell is definitely gear oil and for me that means axle or transmission.

So I checked the vents.
Missing totally oon the front diff
Tranny vent is there

Removed the whole center console..... spent the day trying to find the inner boots because they were all falling apart .... I could see the tranny and road through...

what a pain.... they don;t make them any more. So I used electrical tape to fix the shifter seal and I bought an aftermarket shiter boot and turned it to make it look like the inner boot and drilled it to the plate...
Put the outer boot and console back.... that should prevent smells from the tranny to come up

Now I still have to take care of the front diff vent.... I understand from readings that it is important ;)