PDA

View Full Version : Won't start.

TheRedBull
02-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Won't start.
Has been running great this winter today it reached 41 degrees after beeing in 1 digit and low teen temps and haven't had any problems.

This jeep was pre-equipped with a push start.
Issue: I turn ignition, push start...one click. Nothing more. Won't crank.
Battery is fine - lights and all accessories come on as well as heater/fan. Jiggled battery terminal wires and tried again, same issue.

Possible solonoid? --whats a solonoid?
Could use some DIY's here. Thanx a bunch everyone

cherokeewrecker
02-11-2011, 06:46 PM
It could also be a neutral safety switch. Its located on the side of the tranny. My buddies went a while back and with it being junk he couldn't start his jeep. But then again it could be the starter itself. What you could try is crawling underneath and take a small hammer or wrench and tap the solenoid thats on top of the starter to see if that does anything.

bigjim350
02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah it could be the Neutral Safety Switch. Try starting it in Neutral or try jiggling the shifter in park while trying to start it. Have to do this to mine every time I start it. Another good way to check if its the NSS is to get someone to check if your reverse lights come on while in reverse with the key on.

Weldmen
02-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I would check the wires going to and on the started. Kinda sounds like there is a short and the starter relay is kicking out as soon as you hit the start button.

TheRedBull
02-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks all for advice and tips I got it working.
I knocked a little bit (on what I thought was) the solenoid, got it started....I had Let it run for a minute, turned off and tried again - Turned ignition full forward and no accessory lights nothing...My first clue was the battery terminals. Not much corrosion at all really but the terminal clamps were kinda beat up. One had a small gap that what looked like might have cause some of the issue and the other terminal clamp was missing a nut and twisted a bit and such.
After wiggling with the wires , heard a small click inside of jeep. Looked... lights were on..Drove to parts store and purchased and replaced the terminal clamps. Problem solved..for now hopefully.

Although, upon fixing that issue I noticed something else unusual when locating the solenoid..I will create a separate post and picture for what I'm talking about now.

Weldmen
02-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Glad to here you got it figured out and going. :thumbsup: