PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft question

Jeepxtreme
02-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I was browsing around eBay yesterday and I found an 'H' joint adapter for the drive shaft, making it a double joint shaft. I know that it is intended for the front shaft, but... My question is can that be put onto the existing rear shaft and bypass having to use a SYE??? Just curious... It popped into my head when I saw it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

bigjim350
02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm no dirveshaft guru so I don't know for sure, but it seems like if it would work, you would hear of a lot more people doing it.

Geo Fry
02-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Well adding that and making it a double joint shaft would add to it's overall length, which is actually what you need with a taller lift anyways. And a double cardan shaft would require the axle's yoke to point at the transfer case to avoid vibes. I don't know, in theory it sounds like it could work with our existing slip yokes but like Jim, I am no driveshaft guru either.

Firemanray
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
It would not be a press and fit conversion. Right in the middle of the double joint set up is a little bearing that keeps it all " in line". If I'm not mistaken part of that bearing assembly is actually part of the drive shaft. The one in my Dodge 2500 has a "tit" on the drive shaft that runs in the little center bearing. If the Xj is the same you would not be able to adapt the CV to a stock rear shaft.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2011, 09:49 PM
To answer your question, I would need to see what this thing is on ebay. "H" joint is not a familiar term to me. But I would beware of it because the drive shaft end has a cast steel that does more than hold a u joint. It continues past and has a machined stud on it that inserts into the other side which also is cast and goes past the u joint it holds. So I need to see this adapter to really pass judgement.