PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck????

Wolfies95XJ
02-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Alright when my starter died last month I had to get it taken to a shop to get it fixed. My key had a problem of getting stuck. SO they "fixed it" by putting a whole new ignition cylinder/what ever else they do that resulted with me getting a new key to start me jeep. They didnt fix it at all... :sad0147: And seeing I need to take it out while working on it at school (safety thing) Its kind of a problem. Ive done the whole hit the shifter turn the wheel all that stuff. Not working. :thumbdown:

So if you guys have any ideas then cool. Otherwise Im taking it back to the shop that "fixed it" and they are going to re-fix it.

Outlaw
02-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Honestly I would take it back to the shop with the key still stuck, that way they can see it for themselves. In my experience when you tell a shop something they did wrong and cant show it, they tend not to believe it. The other thing to try is to just "wiggle" the key up and down until the tumblers inside give way. It may be a burr on the key or on a tumbler..

bluedragon436
02-09-2011, 07:01 AM
I would take it back... there should be no reason why you should have to do any kind of trick to get your key out of it... especially if they supposedly fixed it... if you are going to have to do that.. might as well keep the ignition you had to start with..

Punisher
02-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Is the ignition turned off right? I sometimes do that and realized that I turned it off to far back and it got stuck... If they already replaced the ignition swtich and you got a new key then it should work fine... but if your using the same key you had in the first place then they did not put a new switch in it...

gary63
02-09-2011, 08:15 AM
first what year is your jeep? now when you take the Ign. out can you turn and take the key out easy? If so then it isn't the key it is some thing als.
Like maybe the ele. switch that is the part that most ign. go into. and most Ign. locks can be rekeyed so you would use the same key.

Metlic53
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
had this problem with my 97, got stuck sometimes, usually on really hot days, one day i couldn't get it out at all, it would turn almost all the way back but it would stop at a spot. got a new cylinder or whatever ignition key thing, and it did the same thing, so its inside the steering colum area, got a pair of pliers and pryed the ignition to the spot its supposed to be, works fine now. it does get a little tough to turn it all the way back but ive got used to it. it works so ill use it till it doesnt work anymore..

Wolfies95XJ
02-14-2011, 02:42 PM
first what year is your jeep? now when you take the Ign. out can you turn and take the key out easy? If so then it isn't the key it is some thing als.
Like maybe the ele. switch that is the part that most ign. go into. and most Ign. locks can be rekeyed so you would use the same key.

1995. I havent tried much with it because its in my schools auto shop. Will try next time im near it.

gary63
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
if you have any more quitions go ahead and ask I work on those lock all the time