PDA

View Full Version : Steering box seals?

Geo Fry
02-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Ok so about 3 weeks ago when I was in the process of swapping out my front coils, I must have hit or tweaked the pitman arm a bit because now there is power steering fluid seeping out where the pitman arm attaches. Before, it was dry as a bone. So, I know they have seal kits for our boxes but can I just get a replacement for that? And what all is involved... do I have to take the entire box apart or can I just work on it while installed? If I need to take it apart I might as well replace all the seals right?

Kyle

bigjim350
02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Im sure firemanray will chime in here and help you out. He had this problem not too long ago, and repaired it.

Firemanray
02-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Im sure firemanray will chime in here and help you out. He had this problem not too long ago, and repaired it.

Yeah, when I started tearing into it I realized it wasn't like the ones I'd done before. I just went to O'rielly and bought a new sector. The seal had to be replaced from the inside meaning a teardown. If you don't do the re-assemble exactly right you end up with a bad attitude and an Xj that is disabled! My blood pressure was worth the $100+ I spent.

Firemanray
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
On another note, if your gonna change the sector do some research on the durango swap. I wish I had done it to mine.

XJ4IV
02-06-2011, 09:34 PM
read my "howd you fix that leak" thread... my gear box was leaking everywhere and I put the lucas stop leak in and it worked perfectly but you GOTTA follow directions the the T

Geo Fry
02-06-2011, 09:53 PM
read my "howd you fix that leak" thread... my gear box was leaking everywhere and I put the lucas stop leak in and it worked perfectly but you GOTTA follow directions the the T

Yea it's really not leaking all that bad. In 3 weeks the fluid level has only dropped maybe an inch. So I'll look into the Lucas stuff. And I've done a bit of research on the Durango box. I'm only turning 32's and at the most maybe 33s in the future, so I didn't think I will really need it, maybe I'm wrong...
From what I've read, the swap is pretty much modless right?

LizardRunner
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
I always recomend the overkill approach. If you have to replace something, that there is a heavier duty replacement for, put in the heavier duty piece. That way you know you won't have any "issues" later on down the line.

4.3LXJ
02-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Yea it's really not leaking all that bad. In 3 weeks the fluid level has only dropped maybe an inch. So I'll look into the Lucas stuff. And I've done a bit of research on the Durango box. I'm only turning 32's and at the most maybe 33s in the future, so I didn't think I will really need it, maybe I'm wrong...

Yes, modless.

Geo Fry
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
OK great. I'll try the stop leak for the time being and probably get a Durango box down the road. Thanks to all who helped... this site rocks btw. I like it better than most all the other forums I've been on.

Oh and for you Houston-based guys, other than LKQ on Wallisville Rd, what are some other decent junkyards to pull parts from?

Kyle

rguignard
02-08-2011, 08:43 AM
were in houston are you ? theres some in conroe and north houston

BlueXJ
02-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I had a leaking box and replaced it with one from Advanced Auto Parts and did not know about the Durango/Dakota upgrade and I now wish I had. The rebuilt box has only about 100,000 miles on it and is damp when it should be dry. It is still tight and performs well but I would have used the "Overkill" Dodge method if I had known.

Outlaw
02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Is there a year range for the durango gear box, or will any durango work? I may go to pull-a-part and start stripping a couple out.

XJ4IV
02-08-2011, 11:13 AM

yes I helped a buddy of mine do a swap on his TJ and our jeeps both call for the same box so Im ASSUMING its a direct swap... might cost a little more at the parts store BUT if you never ask for the price of the JEEP one, You'll never know the difference:thumbsup:

Geo Fry
02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
were in houston are you ? theres some in conroe and north houston

I live in Meyerland right off the 610 loop. I used to live in Spring but I don't mind driving wherever to go to a decent yankyard. What are some good ones on the north side?

Is there a year range for the durango gear box, or will any durango work? I may go to pull-a-part and start stripping a couple out.

I've read that it needs to be from a '99 and it has to be a 4x4 as I think the 2wd uses a rack/pinion steering setup. Can it be from any other year or is it just '99?

yes I helped a buddy of mine do a swap on his TJ and our jeeps both call for the same box so Im ASSUMING its a direct swap... might cost a little more at the parts store BUT if you never ask for the price of the JEEP one, You'll never know the difference:thumbsup:

Yea I think LKQ sells steering boxes for 60 plus a 12 core charge regardless of what vehicle it's from. Not too bad I guess, but I don't know how much remans are so...

Geo Fry
02-19-2011, 11:47 PM

ok so I used the Lucas stop leak stuff yesterday and there is no more leak so far. And I'm guessing you were being sarcastic about the directions... I think it said "fill when the fluid gets low" or something like that :rotfl2: