PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake repair - Now got a popping noise

Mudderoy
02-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Over a week ago I replaced my calipers, rotors and pads. I went ahead and put on the new stainless steel brake lines I've had for over a month. Everything went find and even my first ever brake bleeding went great.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TU9LcNclyWI/AAAAAAAAAnc/BxrJaH0gBvA/s720/2011-02-06%2019.20.35.jpg

After a few days of driving I noticed a light popping noise during heavy breaking. It only happened during breaking and it may have been popping the whole time but the frequency of the pop would change as I came to a stop.

Everything works fine, and the wheel wasn't loose.

I waited to post about this because I wanted to see if maybe I just hadn't put the calipers on right and they were jumping. I took off the front wheels today and checked everything. Fine no issues.

I put the wheels back on and went for a short test drive. Same popping noise. Anyone have any idea?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TU9Lo4tLQuI/AAAAAAAAAnk/28FSwJv4JB0/s800/2011-02-06%2019.19.42.jpg

bigjim350
02-06-2011, 08:36 PM
popping noise i think would be either hub bearings, u-joints, or ball joints.

Mudderoy
02-06-2011, 08:56 PM
popping noise i think would be either hub bearings, u-joints, or ball joints.

The popping is directly related to braking. Everything has been replaced except the ball joints. Once I got it off the ground tonight I started moving the wheels and nothing moved. I really don't think it's axle u-joints, or ball joints.

msmoorenburg
02-06-2011, 09:03 PM
The popping is directly related to braking. Everything has been replaced except the ball joints. Once I got it off the ground tonight I started moving the wheels and nothing moved. I really don't think it's axle u-joints, or ball joints.

Tony we need to have a look since the track bar is bent everything is no longer at home position:thumbdown:. The pulling during breaking could be from dog tracking. Do you have anyone around that can follow you while you drive to verifiy the front end is off?

Mudderoy
02-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Tony we need to have a look since the track bar is bent everything is no longer at home position:thumbdown:. The pulling during breaking could be from dog tracking. Do you have anyone around that can follow you while you drive to verifiy the front end is off?

New track bar (with new flexible joint!) will be shipped out today!

Mudderoy
02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok riddle me this...

Yesterday on the way home, no popping and no pull to the left during breaking.

Same result this morning on the ride in. I was hesitant to post anything for fear it would come back!

What I did Sunday was take the wheels off, look at everything, check how tight the bolts were holding the new calipers on and then I dropped the new stainless steel brake lines so I could put the brackets that came with them on. I re-bled the front calipers.

The popping and pull was still there then.

rguignard
02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
call ghostbusters

http://www.ghostbusters.com/

Mudderoy
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Popping noise has not returned and if there is a pull it is a very very slight one. We'll see what happens when it rains. Seems like the pull was worse just after a rain storm.

PolarXJ
02-15-2011, 04:03 PM
To me, still seems like a possible ujoint. Try making sharp turns in a parking lot (slowly) in reverse and forward. Listen and feel. A bad joint can make it kinda hop/jerk like when its in four wheel drive..just not as bad. This could explain the pull (on/off) as well.

ice_cold
02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Popping sound? Does the sound remain constant or is it a single pop when you apply the brakes? When you apply your brakes this will cause the vehicle to "roll" forward on its suspension. Did you look at the LCA's? etc? Is it a loud pop, metallic ?

If its not any of those...Wayne must have sent some midgets over to pop popcorn under you truck while your driving to mess with the Pretty Red XJ :)

Mudderoy
02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
No noise, I have to roll down the window and scream so people know I'm coming now! :smiley-laughing021:

oderdene
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
:smiley-laughing021:

modestmar00xj
02-25-2011, 12:28 AM
hey did you ever fix your problem with the noise, cause i was going to ask you; where did you buy your brake lines from?

Mudderoy
02-25-2011, 02:21 AM
hey did you ever fix your problem with the noise, cause i was going to ask you; where did you buy your brake lines from?

Morris 4x4...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TU9Lua_k6CI/AAAAAAAAAno/NqlJpfcZ1Rs/s720/2011-02-06%2019.19.42.jpg