PDA

View Full Version : P90x

Punisher
02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Didnt see anything on this topic but I figured I'd like to see what others say about the "P90X Extreme Home Fitness Program"..
I have done part of it but had to stop cause of work reasons (but its no excuse)
So I'm going to get started back on it again...
I like to see some feedback on some of you guys or gals who have do this...

jetboy287
02-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Its a good program. The wife and i did insanity as well you may want to consider trying that as well. I like p90x but you needed to much stuff to go along with it. Insanity needs just your body weight

bluedragon436
02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I did both for 30 days each while deployed last year... and I have to say I like them both... awesome programs... but as jetboy said... I think Insanity is better because you don't need all kinds of equipment, or weights... just your body weight... and maybe some resistance bands if you choose... I mean you can throw weights in once you have really gotten into it and surpassed any progress with just your body weight...

Switch_knuckles
02-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Same here, tough and awesome workouts but as stated with 90x you need alot of equipment.

Punisher
02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I do like the idea of insanity too but I'm lookig around for a good deal as I only paid 50 bucks for the P90X and books and I know I could find that in the insanity too but still looking around...

If any of you guy have any b4 and after photos dont be shy post them up if ya like...
I have some b4 photos but I'll be posting them once I get the 90 day photos
But I'll be starting the P90X as soon as I get my 1991 XJ out of the garage and get the room set up as I already have all the stuff anyways but I'm going to be getting the mats so I can lay them out through out the garage for padding...

bluedragon436
02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I might happen to have Insanity as a download... I'll have to check.. if nothing else you can take a look at it and see what you think about it... without wasting money on it if it isn't something you decide to use... I have a friend of mine that combines them both for a mix up workout routine... and I def. don't have any before/after pics... Once I get back into working out again here shortly... I plan to get some though..

4.3LXJ
02-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey guys, I don't have any experience with these particular programs, but I have been a jock all my life and still hit the gym a lot, so I thought I would share a few insights into exercising in general.

The first is that there are studies that indicate that almost all forms of exercise are really a social event. To back that up is stats that indicate that if a person looses an exercise partner, that person is 98% likely to quit that program. Also, if a person does not find a buddy to work out with, the same stats hold true for an early withdrawal. So the whole point is, find a buddy to exercise with if you want to stick with it.

The second is a matter of prioritization. It needs to be a priority. It means you do it instead of other things. For me, it means stopping at the gym before going home from work to be distracted by other things, like supper, TV and of course working on the Jeep.

Third, set reasonable goals. If you make those, then you can always set new ones. For instance: I injured my left shoulder and after two surgeries, my goal was just to be able to use my left arm again. After numerous goals, I am hanging around with the big boys and have the respect of young competitive power lifters. At 60, it is lots of fun hanging with college football players, an occasional ex pro, and the rest of the big guys. But everyone starts small.

Fourth, eat right. I hate to say this guys, but one thing that will shrink your biceps is alcohol. It has been proven. So cut down on the beer especially. There is wisdom in the term "beer gut". Cut down on the fat, yes it tastes good in all forms. Eat lean, lots of fruits and veggies and little or no meat.

Fifth, the amount of protein you need is a myth. Unless you are doing major steroids, you cannot assimilate more than 25 grams of protein after a workout. Most adults assimilate no more than 50 grams per day. Many of the studies cited to back the supplement industry are done on professional body builders that have a list of steroids and designer chemicals that looks like my monthly shopping list (one guy shared his list of 26 different ones).

Six. Consistency is the rule. Your body needs to be exercised regularly. You cannot do it all in one day and take the rest of the week off.

Mudderoy
02-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I hate HATE those P90x commercials. Everytime I'd be scanning the channels looking for something to watch I'd see a show that said p90 on it and I thought it may be a show about this...

http://rkba.org/guns/principles/images/p90.jpg

Stargate SG1 for the win! :smiley-laughing021:

Punisher
02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
i hate hate those p90x commercials. Everytime i'd be scanning the channels looking for something to watch i'd see a show that said p90 on it and i thought it may be a show about this...

http://rkba.org/guns/principles/images/p90.jpg

stargate sg1 for the win! :smiley-laughing021:

lol....

default83
02-07-2011, 07:37 AM
ive been wanting to do this as well, however i suck at diets, and i love my beer.

i think im going to give it a try ill do all the diet stuff and keep drinking beer and see what happens.

LizardRunner
02-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I have to go with 4.3LXJ on this one. I was fortunate to be put into the mind set of working out alone as far back as junior high. The only advantage is that I don't depend on a partner to get me going. I have the ability (so I've been told over and over by my wife) to become singularly focused to the point of oblivion to all surroundings.

steph74
02-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Never had the will or desire to do such a thing. I respect those who put efforts in going to the gym in a regular basis.
Personnally I hate those programs that are directed at people like me that are overweight showing tuned body people and giving them the hopes that this kind of exercise will be the "miracle" that will save their life....

Now for the do what I say not say what I do part.....

As a scientist, I have to say that YES it is important to exercise and stay in shape but.... (there is always a butt involved) it takes more than that.
These programs are directed to people that already have a routine exercise. My advice is if you need to exercise more, get professional advice. Be patient (90 days .... ) and change your behavior and feeding habits.

Studies show that 30 minutes brisk walk each day is sufficient to have the benefits of exercise.... the rest is morphing and if it is not done right it will lead to 1/discouragement and 2/injuries and accidents.

This being said... I am going to go get my healthy breakfast (coffee and doritos) and sit on my *** all day long reading scientific papers that deal with how good exercise is....

4.3LXJ
02-07-2011, 12:54 PM
This being said... I am going to go get my healthy breakfast (coffee and doritos) and sit on my *** all day long reading scientific papers that deal with how good exercise is....

Steph, make sure it has lots of pics of hot babes.:smiley-laughing021:

Tural
02-07-2011, 02:04 PM
p90x is a very good program. but it has been proven over and over that generalized exersise programs are not as effective as personalized ones. years ago i used to be a fitness trainer back in russia and i found out quick that some people are simply more capable than others regardless of their shape or weight.
for example, for me personally, no amount of exercise is effective if i don't combine it with overhead bars. pull ups, monkey bars, parallel arms etc.
same goes for lifting, or push-ups, or running, or the "sledgehammer" workout. you have to find a program, a diet, a sleep schedule and a rest schedule that works for YOU.
and if you let go of your fitness, it will forget about you sooner than you think.
i'm a prime example,
me around 1999, 187lbs.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb378/XJTural/tural-1.jpg?t=1297108961
and me 2010, 145lbs.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb378/XJTural/H8Training018.jpg?t=1297109038