PDA

View Full Version : Please help some friends and I plan. . .

OverEasy
02-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Part 1 question
Like the title starts out, Some friends and I (2-4 friends) Are trying to plan a wheeling trip out west. West as in Moab, UT. :D We're planning on heading out sometime late in this year like Aug. - Oct. sometime. We all live in Lynchburg, Va. so this will likely be a good hike for us! For starters the plan is to leave Lynchburg on a Thursday early. (it will be about two days + of driving) Possibly Wed. late. That way we can get there early Sat. (hopefully) and have a weeks worth of wheeling and exploring time and leave the following Sun.What would you suggest? How would you schedule your time?

Part 2 question.
Other than the traveling part we have been kicking around ideas on lodging. We're thinking about camping to try and save some money for other things. We all are no strangers to camping and do it quite often in all types of weather. We've even thought about camping a few nights and getting a room a night or two. For people who have been there, live there, from there, know people who've been there. . . Wheres the places to be? For OHV where is the best accessibility to the trails? Can you give us some tips?

3rd part and last question.
The last thing we've been thinking about is getting our "Rigs" out there. One of my friends has a Grandfather who's got a nice dually with a goose neck trailer that we know can haul my Samurai and his Grand Cherokee and some parts / tools + gear with ease. It's just talking the Grandpa into letting us take it out that far. :shocker: What else are other options? I've heard about people getting truckers to take vehicles, and a couple other stories but thats the thing, its just stories. I don't think I would just let someone haul my junk out and fully trust it anyway. We're trying to just take one or two trucks out (depending on the group size(prob just 2 of us)) with one or two trailers. Other than the Grandpa (plan A.) how would you look into hauling rig + gear out? (plan B.)

We kinda have a plan but I'm looking to see what/ how other people would go about this. This is my first trip out that way. I've been all up and down the East Coast but never past the western boarder of Tenn.

Some sites that we have been looking at are :
http://www.moabadventurecenter.com/trips/4x4/
http://www.moab4x4parts.com/moab_camping.php
http://www.discovermoab.com/index.htm
http://www.moab-utah.com/

All this is so overwhelming and its sooo far away, any insight helps. Thanks for reading / looking. If you can help, please do! :D:thumbsup:

Thanks, Jeremy & Drew

OverEasy
02-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Edit : I don't know why on earth I put it would be 2+ days of travel. :out:

It's only between 1 day and 7 / 1 day 9 hours worth.

4.3LXJ
02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
It is a little spendy, but there are professional car haulers, some of whom are reasonable you might check into.

alwaysxj
02-06-2011, 02:37 PM
you should head out in October, we will be their 6-9th attending the fall fling. we are staying in a hotel because my wife's friends gets a deal.
This will be the first time to moab so I am not sure on some of the questions, we were going to go last October but it did not work out. we were going to camp or get a cabin. check this web site out. http://www.moab-utah.com/moabrim/campark.html
the people that run it are very friendly I have had some friends camp and stay in the cabins and they said it was nice.

4.3LXJ
02-06-2011, 03:54 PM
One other thing I might suggest. I have never stayed in the area, but when I travel on business I use Priceline.com to book cheap hotels. You can save a bunch sometimes, other times not so much. But I have never failed to save at least $30 per night. Just click on the icon that lets you bid on rooms and start at about $55 and keep trying till you get something you like.

OverEasy
02-06-2011, 11:50 PM
It is a little spendy, but there are professional car haulers, some of whom are reasonable you might check into.

I've looked at a couple. Are there any you could suggest?

you should head out in October, we will be their 6-9th attending the fall fling. we are staying in a hotel because my wife's friends gets a deal.
This will be the first time to moab so I am not sure on some of the questions, we were going to go last October but it did not work out. we were going to camp or get a cabin. check this web site out. http://www.moab-utah.com/moabrim/campark.html
the people that run it are very friendly I have had some friends camp and stay in the cabins and they said it was nice.

I'm pretty sure that we will be going in Oct. That's at least when I would like to go. Thanks for that link, I'll check it out.

One other thing I might suggest. I have never stayed in the area, but when I travel on business I use Priceline.com to book cheap hotels. You can save a bunch sometimes, other times not so much. But I have never failed to save at least $30 per night. Just click on the icon that lets you bid on rooms and start at about $55 and keep trying till you get something you like.

Nice, I always forget about places like that. Good idea!

Thanks for the info!

If anyone else reads this and has any info or ideas feel free to help out. :thumbsup:

LizardRunner
02-07-2011, 09:11 AM
One other option on the car hauler idea, call the local truckers brokerage, they are the guys that set up drivers with hauls. If you have enough vehicles going you might find that a cheeper way to get all the rigs out there at one time. just tell them you need a portable parking lot (car hauler) that carries a bond and insurance. you should be able to also get a return haul if you know the dates for departure and return trips.

OverEasy
02-08-2011, 12:37 AM
One other option on the car hauler idea, call the local truckers brokerage, they are the guys that set up drivers with hauls. If you have enough vehicles going you might find that a cheeper way to get all the rigs out there at one time. just tell them you need a portable parking lot (car hauler) that carries a bond and insurance. you should be able to also get a return haul if you know the dates for departure and return trips.

Thanks, I'll check this out also.

Tural
02-09-2011, 05:51 AM
i might be able to use my military id to get you government rates on hotel rooms. might work on the car hauler too, depending on the company. since military people move around a lot, some companies give them discounts.

OverEasy
02-09-2011, 07:09 AM
i might be able to use my military id to get you government rates on hotel rooms. might work on the car hauler too, depending on the company. since military people move around a lot, some companies give them discounts.

Hmmm.... Pleas let me know more about this and what I'll need to do.

Thanks for the idea Tural!