PDA

View Full Version : transmission question

cantab27
02-05-2011, 01:43 AM
read somewhere that the glue or whatever is in side the trans that holds the bands together ???? is a water based one ,,,so if water gets in trans this would brake it down and kill the trans ..???....

reason for asking is have flushed trans ,,,still leaked out the breather and other places i think ..... last check of dip stick was clear water :eek:
gonna pull the pan tomorrow and look inside

what yall reckon , waste of time to re flash and just throw a second hand one in ...thoughts

this may not of happened if said jeep was red .......:rotfl2:

bigjim350
02-05-2011, 01:45 AM
I would just save the time and pain and throw another one in, hopefully with a warranty/

cantab27
02-05-2011, 01:48 AM
thats my thoughts jim ...lucky today it spat the dummy on the road and not miles away ....been there done that pita .....guy who drowned it has the one outta the red one he is building ......we may have to have a little chat

BrianXJ
02-05-2011, 01:51 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:

rguignard
02-05-2011, 06:48 AM
i would pull the pan but i bet its done get another one and put it in wayne

BlueXJ
02-05-2011, 07:56 AM
AW-4s don't do well in submarines I am told. Might need to convert to an AX 15 they work well in green subs.

msmoorenburg
02-05-2011, 08:08 AM
water in the tranny = bad the glue on the clutches lets go :thumbdown:

4.3LXJ
02-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Wayne

The least you have to do is pull the tranny anyway since you undoubtedly have water in the torque converter. Also, water will take out the clutches even if they don't fall apart. Better pull it. Going to the AX15 wouldn't be a bad idea. If they get a little water in them, you can save them afterwards.

Mikentucky72
02-07-2011, 05:03 PM
My 2000 sport is 4wd. Does that mean it has an A-w4 tranny? Trying to chang my fluid and don't know what kind to put back in( atf4 or dex). Help me fellas please. Mikentucky

Mudderoy
02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
My 2000 sport is 4wd. Does that mean it has an A-w4 tranny? Trying to chang my fluid and don't know what kind to put back in( atf4 or dex). Help me fellas please. Mikentucky

Dextron III for the AW4 automatic transmission.

cantab27
02-09-2011, 11:41 PM
too much fluid in my trans ,,,no leaks but ,, still really haven't given a good run yet as to busy ,,, sad i know ... anyway would this cause it to take its time getting to high ,, trans feels strong ,, no slipping so far ..

Outlaw
02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
too much fluid in my trans ,,,no leaks but ,, still really haven't given a good run yet as to busy ,,, sad i know ... anyway would this cause it to take its time getting to high ,, trans feels strong ,, no slipping so far ..

Yes, to much fluid in the transmission can cause it to not want to shift at the proper points. The fluid is just like hydraulic fluid, it builds pressure to work properly and over filled can cause the pressures to be off.

cantab27
02-09-2011, 11:59 PM
thanks josh ,,, can tell ya not a crock wearing hippie who wants a job at wally world ..

will drain a bit out and see how it shifts ,,,,stay tuned

Outlaw
02-10-2011, 12:11 AM
thanks josh ,,, can tell ya not a crock wearing hippie who wants a job at wally world ..

will drain a bit out and see how it shifts ,,,,stay tuned

:thumbsup: If it does continue taking its time shifting, pick up a Haynes or Chiltons manual if you dont have one already, or the equivalent to the same in NZ, and look up how to tighten the bands in the transmission. depending on the miles/kilometers on the jeep, this could help as well. It is a fairly simple process and can be done by almost anyone that knows how to operate simple hand tools. :D

cantab27
02-10-2011, 02:50 AM
:thumbsup: If it does continue taking its time shifting, pick up a Haynes or Chiltons manual if you dont have one already, or the equivalent to the same in NZ, and look up how to tighten the bands in the transmission. depending on the miles/kilometers on the jeep, this could help as well. It is a fairly simple process and can be done by almost anyone that knows how to operate simple hand tools. :D

thanks again josh ...:thumbsup:
drained some , its at right level now ... went for a run up and down highway ..
on acceleration it has more pull than a school boy ...... 100kph floor it and kick down works a treat ... no slipping , moves through the gears as it should nice and smooth ......here's hoping .......probably have to bring this post alive in 3 or 4 weeks ......:smiley-scared002:

rguignard
02-10-2011, 08:24 AM
hey wayne if it starts to act up let me know i might be able to help you find out what it is. i went through mine acting stupid but i fixed it