PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked my batteries

4.3LXJ
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
After I had my track bar mount ripped off the axle, I got the 1/4" steel out and made another one that WILL NOT fall off. So I turned up the amps on the welder to get some good penetration. It apparently drew the charge out of the negative side of my Optimas and killed one cell on the yellow top and made the red top not hold a charge over night. So here it is. My own fault:sad0147: Two new batteries.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0911.jpg

cherokeewrecker
02-04-2011, 06:48 PM
that sucks. guess its one of those things you learn from a mistake...even if its wrecking two new batteries :(

cantab27
02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
bummer steve .........

4.3LXJ
02-04-2011, 08:01 PM
bummer steve .........

Yeah, I would much rather have spent the money on some 5.29s for my new rear axle.:sad0147:

cantab27
02-04-2011, 08:04 PM
make ya feel better ya not the only one with broken bits ,, my trans let go today

4.3LXJ
02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I saw that. Got ya on the other thread. It's only money right?

Mudderoy
02-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I saw that. Got ya on the other thread. It's only money right?

Maybe you've answered this already but how did you run the battery cable to the front?

4.3LXJ
02-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Maybe you've answered this already but how did you run the battery cable to the front?

Actually I don't think I have. I ran 00 gage copper cable through the floor in heater hose sheathes and along the inside frame rail anchored with nylon eyes to the starter and winch. The winch lines have a disconnect of sorts with a couple of eyes bolted together with weather head wrapping around them and covered with electrical tape, just like the big boys do it on the lines into a house.

Mudderoy
02-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Actually I don't think I have. I ran 00 gage copper cable through the floor in heater hose sheathes and along the inside frame rail anchored with nylon eyes to the starter and winch. The winch lines have a disconnect of sorts with a couple of eyes bolted together with weather head wrapping around them and covered with electrical tape, just like the big boys do it on the lines into a house.

So is it heater hosed all the way up front or just used as a "grommet" where it goes through the sheet metal?

4.3LXJ
02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
So is it heater hosed all the way up front or just used as a "grommet" where it goes through the sheet metal?

Just a grommet. YOu can't see it in the pic because they are between the seat and batteries.

Mudderoy
02-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Just a grommet. YOu can't see it in the pic because they are between the seat and batteries.

I really want to add a second battery to my rig, and having it inside like that is the only way I'd have the room. Now that I have the rack in the back I have plenty of room on the floor.

How long was the cable, and do you recall the cost?

4.3LXJ
02-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I really want to add a second battery to my rig, and having it inside like that is the only way I'd have the room. Now that I have the rack in the back I have plenty of room on the floor.

How long was the cable, and do you recall the cost?

I started with 40' and had some left over. It is underground supply cable for a house 200A service. It wasn't too bad as I recall. You can get lug ends to solder on at an auto parts store. If I had it to do over again, which I probably will when I relocate the batteries under the back seat, I would use battery terminals that have a stud on them and lugs with a hole. Much easier to connect and disconnect.