PDA

View Full Version : How to change bearings in a fron Dana 30 differential?

greenchevy
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
My front differential got way hot this weekend that it started to smoke real bad and the gear oil turned to sludge. I was told that i would have to replace the bearings since it got so hot. How would I go about doing this? :confused:

xj4life2
02-02-2011, 06:58 PM
My front differential got way hot this weekend that it started to smoke real bad and the gear oil turned to sludge. I was told that i would have to replace the bearings since it got so hot. How would I go about doing this? :confused:

Its quite an extensive job and I would not recomend doing it unless you have experiance re patterning gears. If your side bearing got hot then the pinion bearings are trash also, so I would suggest a install kit that will have everything you need to do the job. Should run about $125.00 for the kit. Again I would strongly suggest doing this only if you have in the past or have someone there to walk you through it, If its not set up correctly you will be doing it all over again.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2011, 10:30 PM
X2. you will need to check the backlash on the gears with a dial indicator and then match that when reassembled. You will need a bearing puller, press, and a dial indicator for this. It might be cheaper and easier to just get a JY front end and replace it. They usually have very little wear on the gears.

nismo5
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
It might be cheaper and easier to just get a JY front end and replace it. They usually have very little wear on the gears.

x2 on that its prob way easier and cheaper to get a new axle at the junkyard or on craigslist you can usually find them super cheap

PolarXJ
02-03-2011, 12:16 PM
x3 assuming you still have stock gears. Be sure to grab one that has the same tranny as you. Also, if you are planning on getting a locker, you'll know have a spare axle housing that you can put the locker in, letting it sit while you save up $ for the rear axle.