PDA

View Full Version : Jeep takes many times turning key till start

88AMCOMANCHE
02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
When i bought my Jeep (88 comacnhe 4.0) sometimes it would take 2-3 times clikcing over the key before it would kick in & start up. Over the last 8 months or so its became more like sometimes 5 or 10 times of tiurning the key all the way where it "should" start but its just like Dead, so I turn it OFF then try again and nothing, so I go off & on & off & on till now its like after about 15-20 times it will finally kickin & tunr over the engine & start up. Ive since installed a new Key switch(ignition) with new key & it hasnt helped at all. Anyone ever have this problem? sorry this is so long. Been puzzled by this for a long time now & need anyones help pn what it could be. Maybe its the Accuator rod that goes down in the swicth on the column? maybe its the switch itself thats down on the column way down under the dash?? anyone have this issue before? any pointers would be so appreciated. Really.:sad0147:

Outlaw
02-01-2011, 11:29 PM
When i bought my Jeep (88 comacnhe 4.0) sometimes it would take 2-3 times clikcing over the key before it would kick in & start up. Over the last 8 months or so its became more like sometimes 5 or 10 times of tiurning the key all the way where it "should" start but its just like Dead, so I turn it OFF then try again and nothing, so I go off & on & off & on till now its like after about 15-20 times it will finally kickin & tunr over the engine & start up. Ive since installed a new Key switch(ignition) with new key & it hasnt helped at all. Anyone ever have this problem? sorry this is so long. Been puzzled by this for a long time now & need anyones help pn what it could be. Maybe its the Accuator rod that goes down in the swicth on the column? maybe its the switch itself thats down on the column way down under the dash?? anyone have this issue before? any pointers would be so appreciated. Really.:sad0147:

Try the starter relay or you may have a solenoid going out on the starter itself. The relay is right above the coil pack on the passenger fender.

LizardRunner
02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506458
Read Lunghd's reply, he also has links there to help you out.

BlueXJ
02-04-2011, 02:00 AM
My 89 had a similar problem until I replaced the ignition switch at the base of the column.

4.3LXJ
02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I just replaced a starter that had a solenoid going bad. Works like a charm now. Starter was brand new 9 months ago too.

Firemanray
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM

I have this exact problem happening currently. 2 problems with mine, 1st if I hear a "click" from under the hood I know it's the starter solenoid. 2nd, if I hear "nothing" I know it's my neutral safety switch.

Next time you have this problem try moving the gear selector to neutral while keeping the key to the "start" position. If the switch is out of adjustment this should reveal the problem.

If you get "clicks"- replace the solenoid.

88AMCOMANCHE
02-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanx. Will try definately !

88AMCOMANCHE
02-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Im leaning towards that Bluexj, but wanna try Firemans idea first with the nuetral safety swicth & see if it does anything, if Not....Ignition switch will be getting replaced,thanx~

88AMCOMANCHE
04-27-2011, 07:44 PM
ok -.....tHE PROBLEM IS BACK! After replacing the ignition key switch, then replacing teh actual ignition switch on top of the column under the dash. Thats seemed to Improve my multiple attepmt starting problem, but now......it takes 3-4 turns of the key to engage the starter?
IS IT POSSIBLE.....that the actual ignition switch is a bit Out of adjustment?? Desperate for a solution. I repeaet...the new swicth under the dash Fixed the problem temporarily,but it seems to be getting worse.,Im suspecting the rod in the swicth is out of adjustment maybe,I dont know. Help?

XJ4IV
04-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Do what I did...I was having the same issue... I bought a momentary switch its a switch that only gives power while you hold it... Anyhow
this switch is only two prongs and one prong goes to the battery
and the other prong goes to the starter... problem solved for three years now not a SINGLE fail the switch is like 4 bucks at any auto parts store but make sure you get the "momentary" switch... basically your jeep is now upgraded to push button start! but you still have to have the key in and the on position for the motor to engage!

4.3LXJ
04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I was having stuff happen like that on my pickup. I ended up replacing the starter.

88AMCOMANCHE
04-27-2011, 09:16 PM
i have a push button switch here thats MOMENTARY ON ,it has 2 screw terminals,im assuming hot & negative?

88AMCOMANCHE
04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
ok, just re-read your posting,thanx. only question i have is: You say one runs to the starter ......meaning the hot lead coming from the starter goes diirectly to the button terminal?

4.3LXJ
04-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Hot from the heavy terminal to switch and from switch to the solenoid terminal

88AMCOMANCHE
04-28-2011, 08:05 AM
starting at battery + to the pushbutton lug and from the Other pushbutton lug to the Solonoid itself:? Or connect it to the wire that goes to the solonoid? If I have a pushbutton,I wont Need the solonoid correct? and tyvm. think I got it,just making sure im following what yuou mean when you say "switch".

XJ4IV
04-28-2011, 09:15 AM
i cant recall which one on the starter it is but it will only work one way. if you have a volt meter there is two post on the starter that are hot... BUT one is only hot when your cranking it the other stays hot basically your doing the old screwdriver trick with a button

XJ4IV
04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
i cant recall which one on the starter it is but it will only work one way. if you have a volt meter there is two post on the starter that are hot... BUT one is only hot when your cranking it the other stays hot basically your doing the old screwdriver trick with a button

Its the smaller point of the three... I was working on Tranny yesterday and gave it a quick look! soooo one wire goes from positive on battery to switch and one wire goes from small nut on starter to other switch point.

88AMCOMANCHE
05-01-2011, 09:55 PM
when you say swicth, you mean the Solonoid switch?? Mine has a total of 5 wires attached to it ....one leading to the starter.

88AMCOMANCHE
05-03-2011, 09:47 AM
truck takes sometimes just a few attempts to start,for now ..so I 'll focus on my No turn signal issue & get to the starter switch issue later i guess.