PDA

View Full Version : D30 CAD bypass....

steph74
02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I am starting this discussion thread more for curiosity than anything else because well I have already done that and I decided to deal with the possible consequences later...

So I was tired of wondering if the vacuum actuator that is supposed to lock the axle disconnect on the D30 was working or not ... and got me stuck at some points.
Vacuum lines look good so I am assuming that the actual actuator was faulty and found this trick on another forum.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/free-d30-cad-bypass-91-a-38629/

I followed to the letter the tutorial and really didn't take that long....
Went for a test drive and would go in and out of 4wd each time...Took it on the highway and didn't notice any vibration or noise.

Other discussion i have read say to expect vibration of the front driveshaft because it is not balanced because it is not supposed to turn all the time.

I guess I am a litle worried about the consequences but hey it is a jeep and you got to experiment sometimes ;

So what are your opinions on this modifications ?
Am I going to regret it later? What should I really look for....

:popcorn::popcorn:

rguignard
02-01-2011, 09:38 AM
all of the newer xj's have nondiso front ends so im going with dont worry about it

BrianXJ
02-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I have my collar locked over with a hose clamp pic will come later. I have noticed a vibration but not until i get on the highway traveling about 70 mph or so. other than that it is doing great.

4.3LXJ
02-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I have mine permanently locked with a tubular shim on the shaft. However I do not have stock drive lines. But this should not cause any problems for you.

LizardRunner
02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
I would say that if your not having vibrations, then you may have a balanced DS already. I crawled under mine when I first read this discussion and My 95 seems to have a balanced front DS, it has two weights on it.

steph74
02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I would say that if your not having vibrations, then you may have a balanced DS already. I crawled under mine when I first read this discussion and My 95 seems to have a balanced front DS, it has two weights on it.

Thanks, I will check that.... as soon as the temp raise a bit because I don;t want to get my hand frozen stuck to the cold metal while under the jeep haha

So anyway when you guys lock it one way or another, what do you do with the vacuum lines that are going to the vacuum actuator motor ? Right now i have them plugged in figuring that it was not going to do anything but today, the part time light came on while driving in 2WD and will saty on... so I am wondering if this is related

4.3LXJ
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
So anyway when you guys lock it one way or another, what do you do with the vacuum lines that are going to the vacuum actuator motor ? Right now i have them plugged in figuring that it was not going to do anything but today, the part time light came on while driving in 2WD and will saty on... so I am wondering if this is related

I just removed them all. There is a red one that goes back to the tcase. Block that one or remove the fitting completely and take the entire harness out back to the tcase and then forward.