PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Seal Leaks

BrianXJ
01-31-2011, 02:32 PM
How do you correctly identify that a rear main seal is leaking? I have a oil leak and it is pretty bad. I know that the rear main is between the engine and transmission. So, how do you correctly diagnose a rear main seal leak?:stars:

rguignard
01-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Brain the rear main should only leak when running but the oil pan will leak when off

BrianXJ
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Brain the rear main should only leak when running but the oil pan will leak when off

ok then I am thinking now its just the oil pan. But, I guess while I got it off I might as well change the rear main and oil pump while I am there

BrianXJ
01-31-2011, 08:06 PM
ok paid more attention when driving earlier. My heep leaks when running and when not running. So I am guessing that it may be a little of both. but it leaks worse when it is not running.

TeXJ
01-31-2011, 09:22 PM
clean the area up around the rearmain, and then drive a lil and check, see where the fresh oil is coming from.

the adpater for the oil filter is also known to leak a lil, so yeah.

Punisher
02-01-2011, 01:16 AM
ok then I am thinking now its just the oil pan. But, I guess while I got it off I might as well change the rear main and oil pump while I am there

Sounds like a plan...:thumbsup: and also if you've gone that far replace the gasget rind for the balancer too...:patriot:

Punisher
02-01-2011, 01:21 AM
clean the area up around the rearmain, and then drive a lil and check, see where the fresh oil is coming from.

the adpater for the oil filter is also known to leak a lil, so yeah.

Yeah I agree.. also i had this problem... check the oil sensor and see if its leaking around where the 2 peice goes together which I had and Also you may want to check the oil adaptor too they are now to leak...All that fixes that is an o-ring and I have a video on how to fix that the easy way instead of lifting one side of the motor up like they tried to explain on cherokeeforum...
Heres the link to my video on how to fix the oil adaptor...
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5631