PDA

View Full Version : Air bag

Punisher
01-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Ok guys, Dont know anything about airbag but they go off if I hit sumin...:smiley-laughing021:
But If I get a new bumper put on and start to take the old one off how do I diconnect the sensor so the air bag dont go off and **** up my steering wheel....? :smiley-scared002:
It's on the 1996 Sport Cherokee if that helps...

cantab27
01-30-2011, 11:34 PM
disconnect the battery before ya start....

Punisher
01-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Well I kinda figure that but wont it go off if I put the new bumper on and reconnect the battery?
How is the airbag hooked up under there? I've never worked on a car with airbag and really I hate airbag, I just dont trust them... If I had my way about it I'd take it out if I could...

bigjim350
01-30-2011, 11:41 PM
All the plugs involving the airbag system are easy to find. All airbag wire connectors are yellow. and if you have multi colored wires that are used for an air bag, they will have a yellow rubber loom over them

cantab27
01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
took my bumper off the other day ... disconnected battery ,,,put it all back together ,,didn't go off .......

modestmar00xj
01-31-2011, 01:08 AM
yeah punisher! i agree with ya! i always wanted to remove my airbag so i can put in a classic jeep steering wheel! like off of an old willys.

prcjeep
01-31-2011, 01:18 AM
Hmmm... Ive had my bumper off a couple times and never saw any sensor points etc. I have the 96 SE with driver airbag only. Bumper went on and off with no issues... I also rear ended someone pretty good and it bent my bumper quite a bit and still have a unexploded airbag... I think you should be okay with taking the bumper off. I never thought to disconnect the battery but i guess i may have gotten lucky. It wold be a good precaution i suppose

cantab27
01-31-2011, 01:23 AM
bit off topic but when doing my heater core ,,on the write up i was using said to disconnect the battery so the air bag don't go off ,,, that's cause ya in behind the dash doing shit ......

msmoorenburg
01-31-2011, 06:50 AM
Ok guys, Dont know anything about airbag but they go off if I hit sumin...:smiley-laughing021:
But If I get a new bumper put on and start to take the old one off how do I diconnect the sensor so the air bag dont go off and **** up my steering wheel....? :smiley-scared002:
It's on the 1996 Sport Cherokee if that helps...

Its a mechanical airbag (aka no wires) if you look on the top of the steering wheel cover (behind the airbag) you will see a little cap take it off and you will see a nut. Unscrew the nut (it will not come out) your airbag will be disabled.:cheerleader:

Punisher
01-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Its a mechanical airbag (aka no wires) if you look on the top of the steering wheel cover (behind the airbag) you will see a little cap take it off and you will see a nut. Unscrew the nut (it will not come out) your airbag will be disabled.:cheerleader:

sweet... thanks...
Dont ever want to end up like this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bBVJAFrN0U :smiley-laughing021:

Punisher
01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SsAHhNBZy0

Outlaw
01-31-2011, 11:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SsAHhNBZy0

Thats funny shit right there!!!:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021: And so many people just went through my head.... hmmm video camera and an air bag.... oh man this could get ugly :shocker: