PDA

View Full Version : 90 xj wont shift after cleaning

Metlic53
01-30-2011, 09:08 AM
took the new to me 90 xj 4.0 to the wash n go and pressure washed the entire thing, even the engine cuz it was filthy. i had it running while i was cleanin it so i knew it would start, drove half a mile to oreilley where it was shifting the way there to buy some stuff and went back out and the tranny wont shift out of first gear now...it will shift if i red line it to like 5k rpms. did i blow somethin off? is there a sensor that tells the tranny when to shift, maybe it got wet and isnt contacting good...? its been sitting for a day to see if it will dry out and shift but i havent tried yet. ideas?

Metlic53
01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
i think it may be the tps but where exactly is it on the t body of a 90. weird looking

Mudderoy
01-30-2011, 10:17 AM
i think it may be the tps but where exactly is it on the t body of a 90. weird looking

Mine is on the back of the throttle body.

That would be between the throttle body and the driver.

Punisher
01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I had this problem on my 1991 and found out it was a bad connection to the tranny... try looking at the 2 big connector that runs to the tranny they should be on the passenger side by the firewall...

Metlic53
01-31-2011, 10:09 AM
I had this problem on my 1991 and found out it was a bad connection to the tranny... try looking at the 2 big connector that runs to the tranny they should be on the passenger side by the firewall...

is the connector on the tranny itself or in the engine bay firewall side?

msmoorenburg
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
is the connector on the tranny itself or in the engine bay firewall side?

It has 2 connectors one grey and one black. you will find them to the left of the valve cover and above #6 spark plug and to the right of the tranny dipstick