PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump thought..

ice_cold
01-29-2011, 03:15 PM
If I was to disconnect one of the heater hoses, then have someone turn over the engine, if the pump was good I should get a flow out the line right? If no flow or pressure the pump could be fubar'ed.
Just asking as we are getting a little warmer so I am thinking of doing a bit of work on the Jeep..been parked since late November.
Asking cause I really don't think the pump is messed,but looking for a easy and quick way to tell. As I am thinking the impellers are lunched in some way.

bigjim350
01-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah that should work. That should tell you if the pump is pumping But that won't tell you if the seal and bearing is good, or how well its pumping.

jdougn
01-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah that should work. That should tell you if the pump is pumping But that won't tell you if the seal and bearing is good, or how well its pumping.
x2 on the "how well it's pumping"
What's wrong with the cooling system?

ice_cold
01-30-2011, 12:24 AM
When its running, its like the hoses warm up at the block and slowly warm up along the hose..like its not pumping the warm water, it is just heating thru convection. There are no leaks and the weep hole is not leaking...it just slowly warms up, till the temp light comes on. Still no heat...thats why its been parked.

XJ Rat
01-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Be VERY careful if you disconnect a hose at the firewall. You will break the fitting on the heater box if you do it. Personally, I would disconnect the other end if I was going to do this.

It is recommended you cut the hose off the fitting on the heaterbox because pulling it usually results in a broken fitting.

bluedragon436
01-30-2011, 07:35 AM
I have to ask.. can't remember if I remember seeing this covered before or not... but have you tried flushing your heater core... to take care of the no-heat issue?!

Outlaw
01-30-2011, 07:43 AM
The best way to check the bearing is to take the belt off and see if there is any vertical play in the pulley, much like checking a wheel bearing.