PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Outlaw
01-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Ok so I got my vavle cover on and went to start the beast up and it wouldnt start. I checked through everything and once again my fuel pump is not working. This will be the third pump in 3 months. Thankfully this one is under warranty, but does anyone have any clues as to why I am blowing fuel pumps???? I am stumped! Thanks in advance!

gary63
01-29-2011, 05:36 PM
check your ground are they clean and hooked up good.

Outlaw
01-29-2011, 06:14 PM
check your ground are they clean and hooked up good.

It only has the one plug for the harness. I cant see any visible ground around the tank.

gary63
01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
then it is using the tank and fram as the rout to the ground make sher the meyal to metal is clean.also check the volts going to it. then check the prisher
so it isn't pushing or trying to hard to keep it up.

Outlaw
01-29-2011, 06:46 PM
then it is using the tank and fram as the rout to the ground make sher the meyal to metal is clean.also check the volts going to it. then check the prisher
so it isn't pushing or trying to hard to keep it up.

I'm gonna drop the tank tomorrow and check the lines for any blockage. I'll update as I learn more.

Outlaw
01-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Ok so I checked the ohms on the ceramic ballast that runs the pump on the inner LF fender and that was good. Checked for any blockage in both the fuel lines and they were clear. So I dropped the tank to check and see if there was any noticable grounds and pull the pump since it stopped working. To my surprise the tank that I spent two days acid bathing and rinsing and letting dry was again full of rust. So much so that it crushed the strainer from the pressure of the two week old pump. Thankfully Autozone was kind enough to warrant the pump and the strainer for me and I purchased a new fuel tank from them. They even went and picked it up same day for me!:thumbsup: The average lifespan of a pump on my xj has been 2-4 weeks so I will keep you updated on the new tank and pump in the coming weeks.... Now for other issues lol

bluedragon436
01-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Well hopefully with the new tank, you won't have any issues with this one burning out..

gary63
01-31-2011, 10:08 PM
after you cleaned the old tank did you seal it or did you leve it plane metal?
if you seal it it will fell small holes and seal up any dirt and rust. Will it won't matter you have a new tank good luck with it.

Outlaw
02-01-2011, 12:04 AM
after you cleaned the old tank did you seal it or did you leve it plane metal?
if you seal it it will fell small holes and seal up any dirt and rust. Will it won't matter you have a new tank good luck with it.

I wasnt able to find the sealer for the tank when I was doing the acid bath, so it didnt get done and I payed dearly for it... now I have to go to Jeep dealer to get the CCV valve for the back of the valve cover because it wont idle right... and autozone doesnt carry that part.

LizardRunner
02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
ouch, I'd check that new tank for sealer before I installed it too. never hurts to have a bit of paranoia. Eastwood carries tank sealer just incase you need it ever again.

Outlaw
02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
The XJ lives and breathes!!! The pump was bad the tank was bad and I'm glad I replaced both. The CCV valve and grommet are new, but the thing wouldnt run right... did some lookin in the old Haynes manual and did some vacuum line tracing and come to find out that the damn EGR vavle was hooked to any vacuum lines.... probably why the previous owner got rid of it... started runnin rough and couldnt figure it out, who knows! All I know is my new toy now runs Great!! Thanks for the replies and everyones help!