PDA

View Full Version : Pull to the left (driver's side)

Mudderoy
01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
This is one of those gray areas. I'm having a breaking issue but pretty much everything I have on the Jeep now is aftermarket.

Basically I have a pull to the left that is more pronounced during hard breaking.

It virtually disappeared when I put new shocks on the front but came back after a few days. I noticed it because when I went to stop I was turning the wheel to the right (out of habit) and I wasn't continuing to go straight, I WAS TURNING!!!!

I had to do an emergency brake job last night so I went ahead and replaced lines and calipers.

The lines are those fancy braided stainless steel ones.

Anyway everything changed and it still pulls to the left. I was really surprised. I expected it to feel different.

When looking at the old pads I noticed that the pads on the driver's side were gone and into the metal. The passenger's side still had a little longer on them. Not a bunch, but certainly not near the metal.

So this means the driver's side is doing more work and that is the side it is being pulled to. It could also mean the passenger's side isn't doing as much work.

Do they make an adjustable proportioning valve that I could use to balance the pressure on both sides? Maybe I'll looking at the solution wrong.

Weldmen
01-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Sounds like your caliper is hanging up. Or maybe a collapsed break line on that side. Or yer pads are stuck in the caliper. just some thoughts. Pull the wheel and caliper on the side its pulling to. Check for dabree and clean it up. Check the other side also to be sure it is moving freely, piston might not be moving will cause the other side to do all the breaking.
Just some Ideas. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
01-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Sounds like your caliper is hanging up. Or maybe a collapsed break line on that side. Or yer pads are stuck in the caliper. just some thoughts. Pull the wheel and caliper on the side its pulling to. Check for dabree and clean it up. Check the other side also to be sure it is moving freely, piston might not be moving will cause the other side to do all the breaking.
Just some Ideas. :thumbsup:

I had to do an emergency brake job last night so I went ahead and replaced lines and calipers.

Doesn't this cover what you are suggesting?

Weldmen
01-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Didn't see that. Ok how are yer wheel bearings? just jack it up and grab the tire top and bottom and see if the wheel moves in and out. I've run across this before on customer vehicles.

Mudderoy
01-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Didn't see that. Ok how are yer wheel bearings? just jack it up and grab the tire top and bottom and see if the wheel moves in and out. I've run across this before on customer vehicles.

Timkin about 50k miles on them. I tried moving that stuff around last night. They are smooth as silk and solid as a rock.

4.3LXJ
01-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Tony, just for giggles trade pads from one side to the other. Did you turn rotors?

PolarXJ
01-28-2011, 11:38 AM
With all the stuff you've done to your break...sounds like a worn ujoint. I had a pull to the left, checked all my break components, alignment...all were good. I went on a quick day trip, got back and gave it a once over. Noticed a ujoint cap had busted. Replaced the joint and the pull was gone. Now the odd bit was my pull was to the left, but the joint was on the passenger side.

Mudderoy
01-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Tony, just for giggles trade pads from one side to the other. Did you turn rotors?

New pads
New rotors
New calipers
New brake lines (stainless steel RED!!!!)

Pulled to the left exactly the same on prior everything above. :(

msmoorenburg
01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
New pads
New rotors
New calipers
New brake lines (stainless steel RED!!!!)

Pulled to the left exactly the same on prior everything above. :(

we need have a look at the rear. one side may be out of adjustment

Mudderoy
01-29-2011, 01:39 AM
It's actually doing a "S" now. It pulls to the left so I steer to the right and as I get down to say 15 mph it stops pulling so then I have to steer to the left! Jeep, it's an adventure... stopping...

Outlaw
01-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Something usually overlooked is tire pressure. If one tire is different by just 10psi it will cause a nasty pull especially with Light truck tires or high performance tires. It doesnt hurt to check anyway:)

jdougn
01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
What does the alignment look like? Are the ball joints okay? Also, IMx, bad shocks could cause these symptoms or tires worn poorly from previous conditions.
my .o2, Doug