PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brakes

Mudderoy
01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I was just going to look this up but thought it was a much better idea to post the question here.

I've done many mechanical things to my vehicles over the years but something I have NEVER done is bleed a brake line! I know hard to believe isn't it.

Since I'm getting that metal on metal sound really bad I'm going to be replacing rotors, pads and because of a strong pull to the right, I'll be replacing the calipers TONIGHT!!!!

I have a nice NEW set of stainless steel "RED" brake lines that I might as well install (at least on the front for now) anyway.

My understanding is that I need to simply remove the brake line from the caliper. Replace the brake line then attach it to the new caliper. There there is some sort of bleeder valve built into the caliper?

Should I put everything back together then bleed the line?

Since the Jeep is 12 years old would it be a good idea to drain all the brake fluid (at least until it changes color)?

Remember I'm not going to be doing the rear line, or brakes, but do I have to bleed them as well?

prerunner1982
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I would say it would be good to flush the system. But not sure what that entails besides open the valves and pumping the brakes to push the fluid out while adding good fluid to the reservoir.

The Calipers do have bleeder valves built in. I want to say it takes something like a 7mm box end wrench.

When I change my pads I will open the bleeder valve to release the pressure, which will drain some fluid out. Once the caliper is off, close the valve and set it aside. (or in your case remove from vehicle, lol).

When I put the new pads on.. I put the caliper on, hook up a piece of tubing to the open bleeder valve. I place the other end of the tube in a cup of brake fluid. Slowly pump the brakes 4 or 5 times. This will push the old fluid or air out and not allow air to get back in. I have found this way to be much easier than trying to open and close the bleeder while someone else pumps/holds the brakes.

Mudderoy
01-27-2011, 12:02 PM
I would say it would be good to flush the system. But not sure what that entails besides open the valves and pumping the brakes to push the fluid out while adding good fluid to the reservoir.

The Calipers do have bleeder valves built in. I want to say it takes something like a 7mm box end wrench.

When I change my pads I will open the bleeder valve to release the pressure, which will drain some fluid out. Once the caliper is off, close the valve and set it aside. (or in your case remove from vehicle, lol).

Yeah I have a "C" clamp that I use to slowly compress the caliper back into the unit, so I never mess with the bleeder valve.

prerunner1982
01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Tony.. I prematurely submitted that, I was not done so I added a few things.

I have used a C clamp in the past, but did it on an ABS equipped vehicle and couldn't get it to bleed for nothing, always had a soft pedal. So now I just let the fluid out and bleed the the way I described above and it has worked great.

Also you should bleed starting at the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder.

PolarXJ
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
hook up a piece of tubing to the open bleeder valve. I place the other end of the tube in a cup of brake fluid. Slowly pump the brakes 4 or 5 times. This will push the old fluid or air out and not allow air to get back in. I have found this way to be much easier than trying to open and close the bleeder while someone else pumps/holds the brakes.

This is how I've always done it. Just make sure you always have enough fluid in the res. so no air is sucked into the lines. Also start with the bleeding valve that is the farthest away from the portioning valve. Being that you are just changing the lower portion of the brake line you won't have to do this.

LizardRunner
01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
don't forget to use some tubing from the bleeder valve, stick the open end in a jar with some brake fluid in it too. This prevents you from accidently sucking new air into the system as you bleed the brake line. there is a nifty tool you can buy that is a little hand operated vaccum pump these are called interestingly enough mity vac brake bleeding kit. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_391590_391590