PDA

View Full Version : EVAP Leak, P0455

whocares8310
01-27-2011, 07:26 AM
So i have two things that may or may not be related.

First off i have CEL being thrown, the code is P0455, which according to the scan tool and what i've looked up online is a large EVAP leak.

Secondly there's a leak of what seems to be oil or something damn near close to oil coming from underneath the passenger side headlight.

I have removed the battery and there's no fluid from the leak at that level.

It's my understanding that the EVAP canister is by the drivers side of the rear axle. so that wouldn't be causing my fluid leak out front but may be the culprit for my CEL.

Any suggestions or comments?

**Pictures of where to look would be much appreciated**

bluedragon436
01-27-2011, 07:32 AM
http://www.ericsxj.com/flomax/fm3861.jpg
Here is where you evap canister is.. as far as the fluid leak out of the front area... it isn't antifreeze is it??

whocares8310
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
it doesn't seem to be antifreeze
mine's green colored fluid but the fluid leaking seems to be a brownish black.

do you think my end tank is leaking and its just picking up color from the grease,rust,residue from around the radiator?

bluedragon436
01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
It is a possibility... another possiblity.. is you might be leaking tranny fluid from the cooler, that is built into the radiator... have you checked that level yet??

whocares8310
01-27-2011, 09:19 AM
I have not checked tranny fluid yet, i will go ahead and do that this afternoon

4.3LXJ
01-27-2011, 10:11 AM
The biggest culprit for the leak code is the gas cap. The tank has to hold pressure and will throw a code if it doesn't. Where is this leak coming from? Front, back, or middle?

whocares8310
01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
I have a FLUID leak under the passenger side headlight area, underneath the battery or in the general area around the vacuum canister.

The evap leak that's throwing the code is what i'm trying to hunt down.

I was thinking this order for trying to locate the evap leak.

1) Gas cap
2) EVAP CANISTER, by the drivers side rear axle.
3) ROll Over valve,evap canister line on the fuel pump
4) anything else suggested?

XJ Rat
01-27-2011, 01:02 PM
As suggested by 4.3LXJ, for the CEL, check your gas cap. Make sure you hear it click 4 times.

Brownish fluid near the passenger headlamp. Thats a good one, because there is only vacuum and electrical under there. Could be something migrated and thats where it is dripping from or maybe something the tire threw up? Let us know what you find.

whocares8310
02-01-2011, 09:59 AM
put more anti-freeze / coolant in the coolant overflow container, a brighter color of green, compared to the previous color, purpley/red. and noticed green spots on the pavement.

I've got a radiator leak.

As for the gas cap, its clicked 4 or more times and the code remains.

whocares8310
02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
one thing i noticed filling up my tank last night, if i put the gas nozzle all of the way down in the fill tube it automatically kicks off almost immediately. when i fill up i have to back it out a little bit to get it to stay on.

does anyone think this is an indicator of my problem or is the fill tube just really short and setting off the overflow safety thing on the gas pump

XJ Rat
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
one thing i noticed filling up my tank last night, if i put the gas nozzle all of the way down in the fill tube it automatically kicks off almost immediately. when i fill up i have to back it out a little bit to get it to stay on.
Nope - depending on the station mine does this too.

Do you have access to a known good cap that you can put on your XJ for about 30 minutes? Put on the good cap, reset your computer, then start the Jeep. Let it run, maybe drive it around the block a couple times. See if the light comes on. If it does not, I would think the old cap is your culprit. If it does, start looking at the evaporator vacuum lines under your hood. CEL for leaking cap can take a while to come on. The longer you can leave cap on, the better.

Let us know what you find.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
This is not likely relsted

whocares8310
02-03-2011, 07:22 AM
well the other day it warmed up here in blacksburg and was raining instead of snowing and the sun was out. and my CEL went off. then it got really cold again yesterday and the bugger returned. so ive determined that the cold weather is probably part of the problem.

Possible reasons:

gas cap is tighter when its warmer because the metal has expanded or something else like the evap lines have a crack but the crack closes up as they heat up and expand

ill be going to advanced auto parts tonight to get a known good cap (ie 9 $ replacement cap) to see if it solves my dilemma

ill let you know what the results are

whocares8310
02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
new gas cap went on today and the check engine light stayed on with it. back to the drawing board

bigjim350
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Are you resetting the code when you put the new cap on?

whocares8310
02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
well i feel like a damn idiot. since it went off on its own a few days ago i figured it woulda run the evap leak check and reset it next time i turned it on. back to the autozone to clear my code (for free thank god). the guy in there must think my jeep is about to explode since ive checked codes like 4 times in the past week and bought all sorts of junk that says hey this heep needs a serious tune up

Weldmen
02-03-2011, 07:00 PM
did you replace the gas cap?

whocares8310
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
ok so replaced the gas cap and cleared the code last night. drove it around today and a bit last night. so far so good

whocares8310
02-06-2011, 12:10 PM
got in an accident over the weekend and CEL came back on. maybe its evap related or accident related. thanks for your help everyone. it'll be awhile till i get everything sorted out.