PDA

View Full Version : Issue with 4 wheel drive

Jamie Lynn
01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Ok....so I have had to put my Jeep into 4wd a couple times this year due to snow...(gotta love living in the north east) anyway..I don't have a problem with it engaging..I'm having a problem with it disengaging.. After I take the Jeep out of 4wd...it still acts like it is in it and eventually..I get slammed back into my seat when it finally disengages..what could be causing this? Any ideas or even places to start to look at?

4.3LXJ
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Jamie

This is fairly normal. It is caused by torque on the drive train in the 4WD system. All you have to do is either just let up on the gas, or if that doesn't work stop and back up a little and it will undo what it has done and disengage.

Jamie Lynn
01-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Jamie

This is fairly normal. It is caused by torque on the drive train in the 4WD system. All you have to do is either just let up on the gas, or if that doesn't work stop and back up a little and it will undo what it has done and disengage.

I have tried letting up on the gas..and still I'm being thrown around like a rag doll. And I have tried backing up a little and I still get the same result...I was just worried that something might be wrong with it..but if you are saying that it's normal..then I'm not gonna worry too much about it..but here is another question..is it suppose to make this god awful sound when it does finally disengage?..its not a crunching noise its more of like a loud freaking bang that I swear could wake the dead.

Outlaw
01-27-2011, 12:15 AM
I have tried letting up on the gas..and still I'm being thrown around like a rag doll. And I have tried backing up a little and I still get the same result...I was just worried that something might be wrong with it..but if you are saying that it's normal..then I'm not gonna worry too much about it..but here is another question..is it suppose to make this god awful sound when it does finally disengage?..its not a crunching noise its more of like a loud freaking bang that I swear could wake the dead.

If it is a loud bang or metallic popping sound that is a sign of a bad u-joint or joints. I have had a similar issue with my 4wd not disengaging... I usually put it in neutral for a min then go in reverse for a second then back in drive. Usually does the trick for me.

Jamie Lynn
01-27-2011, 12:21 AM
I was kind of thinking that it could be the u-joint..but I wasn't really sure..This is my first time ever owning or experiencing a Jeep..I know that when my ex's u-joints went out in his truck..his sound was way different from the sound that I'm experiencing..I have tried putting it in a neutral for a few seconds, then reverse for a few then drive and normally it takes anywhere from 5-15 mins for it to disengage...It's driving me nuts not knowing what the problem is..and being thrown around like a rag doll..I can't tell you how many times I have either been strangled from my seat belt or had my head bang off the drivers side window from it.

I'm just worried that it might be an issue and not be safe when I have my niece, nephews and other passengers in the Jeep...maybe I'm just worrying too much...

Outlaw
01-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Taking 5-15 minutes to disengage can be a serious issue... I am the first to admit I dont know jack about transmissions, or transfer cases but I have been fixing vehicles all my life and that sounds like maybe the linkage is worn or possibly the chain in the T case is stretched... it shouldnt take more than a minute to disengage IMO

Jamie Lynn
01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
That is what I was thinking too..I might have to have one of my guy buddies look at it..They know a lot about 4wd so I will see if I can snag one of them for a night to check it.

Outlaw
01-27-2011, 12:46 AM
:thumbsup: keep us posted!

4.3LXJ
01-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Jamie

Are your tires all the same, or do you have two different kinds or sizes?

Jamie Lynn
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Nope..all the same hun.

prerunner1982
01-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Jamie.. this has happened to me too and so far what I found seems to work with mine is to shift it from 4hi to 4lo and then all the way to 2hi.. Of course this is while the vehicle is not moving or rolling slowly.

Jamie Lynn
01-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Jamie.. this has happened to me too and so far what I found seems to work with mine is to shift it from 4hi to 4lo and then all the way to 2hi.. Of course this is while the vehicle is not moving or rolling slowly.

I haven't tried that yet..I have the worst trouble trying to get it into 4lo...apparently I don't have enough a$$ behind me to man-handle it to get it into 4lo.

prerunner1982
01-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Might try to see if you can disconnect the linkage underneath and move the tcase through the gears manually. Hoping the linkage is binding up on you or something.

Jamie Lynn
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
I will have the boys check it out for me.

4.3LXJ
01-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Anyone ever done any differential work on this rig?

Jamie Lynn
01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Not to my knowledge hun..It was my older bro's and I bought it off him before he got stationed on the West coast...and its all stock..no work or nothing done to it..

4.3LXJ
01-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I am trying to figure out what is causing all that torque on your drivetrain. So going a little ways in reverse doesn't do it huh?

Jamie Lynn
01-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Nope.

ice_cold
01-29-2011, 03:03 PM
May I ask what transfer case do you have? Automatic or manual?

Jamie Lynn
01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Automatic.

96xj
01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
the popping noise sounds like it could be the u-joints on the drive shaft .
and when you back it up to get it out of 4wd you need to go 10-15ft

Jamie Lynn
01-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Ok, I will try that..thank you!:thumbsup:

ice_cold
01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
which transfer case do you have..I have had different issues with different cases

Jamie Lynn
01-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Honestly hun..I haven't a clue..I'm sorry.

Jamie Lynn
01-30-2011, 11:35 AM
the popping noise sounds like it could be the u-joints on the drive shaft .
and when you back it up to get it out of 4wd you need to go 10-15ft

Ok, so just to let you know...early this morning on my way home ( 6am), I did what you suggested..except I had to be in reverse a few more feet then you suggested..It worked..:shocker:I wasn't tossed around like a rag doll..which was really amazing and uber great!:cheerleader: And that loud noise never happened..I will see later today if it was a fluke thing with it actually working this morning..and I promise to keep you all updated..so..seriously..if it really is working that way..why must I go so far in reverse until it disengages? Is this something that I should be concerned with?

XJ4IV
01-30-2011, 12:44 PM
this is the ONLY way I can get mine to disengage ... while in 4hi put in reverse and let it idle backwards then push the lever down while rolling as soon as the lever goes into 2hi position throw in drive and tap the gas a little